Forums > Social Discussion > mac/linux users -- crossover software available free for one day only

Login/Join to Participate

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
Quote:CODEWEAVERS' SOFTWARE FREE FOR DOWNLOAD THANKS TO GEORGE W. BUSH AND FALLING GAS PRICES

Giveaway Triggered in CodeWeaver's Great American Lame Duck Presidential Challenge; "We take full responsibility for global economic collapse," says CEO

SAINT PAUL, Minn. (October 27, 2008) – The catastrophic cratering of the global economy, falling gas prices and President George W. Bush's recent executive activities have indirectly prompted Saint Paul gadfly software developers CodeWeavers, Inc., to provide free software for every American on Oct. 28, company officials reluctantly announced today.

In July, CodeWeavers – whose software lets Mac OS X and Linux users run Windows programs without having to Microsoft for a Windows OS license – launched the Great American Lame Duck Presidential Challenge (lameduck.codeweavers.com) to encourage President Bush to make the most of his remaining days in office by accomplishing a major economic or political goal by January 20, 2009.

The goals focused on President Bush making specific positive accomplishments in areas such as the economy, home values, the stock market, the war on terror and other key issues. Specifically, one goal called for President Bush to help down bring average gasoline prices in the Twin Cities to $2.79 a gallon.

On Monday, Oct. 14, gas prices in Minneapolis and St. Paul did just that.

"That morning, I was filling my tank at Big Steve's Gas Palace in St. Paul," said Jeremy White, president and CEO of CodeWeavers. "I had just finished my morning corn dog and 64-ounce Dr. Pepper when I looked at the pump and noticed gas was at $2.79. I screamed ‘Woohoo,' then I yelled ‘Oh, crap!' as I realized every American can now have my software for free. Kind of upsets my fourth quarter revenue projections..."

White admits this is not how he foresaw the Challenge unfolding.

"I launched the campaign to inspire President Bush to make the most of his final days in office. Who knew that our Challenge would have this kind of impact on the country?" White said. "On the other hand, who knew that the economy would implode, causing oil demand to drop into the abyss and gas prices to plummet as well. Clearly, investigating Bear Stearns, AIG and those guys is misplaced – CodeWeavers is responsible for this mess. So it's free software for all!"

full press release and details on how to download

aswell as the pure geek appeal of this, its interesting that there are companies out there that would do something like this. the reason for it is overtly political, it draws attention to the state of american economics aswell as being massive advertising for the company.

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Holy crap! :yoink:

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
I actually thought that was a joke article to begin with, the owner sure have a whacky sense of humour! I already have VMWare Fusion on my rig and nothing can beat that so. tongue2

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498