Page:
georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
There's always been talk about allowing longer video clips and other sections etc (well there's always talk about the should and should not's for COL! wink ) So we listen and learn and investigate possibilities. and now we can actually do something about it without breaking everyone's bank!

Double layer DVD printing technology is now sufficiently stable and cost effective that we will be able to produce a one disk COL DVD of extended duration for not much extra cost. This allows us to open up new categories and also provide the option for increased duration clips. So we have:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/video_compilation.php

New category: CoL4Kids - for the under 13's. Not a competition, but a chance to show everyone what you can do and learn and improve. We hope this section will encourage the next generation of object manipulators.

Amended rule around duration - new maximum of 5 minutes. This is a reasonably arbitary number (any number would be arbitary), but we feel we need to put "a" limit and 5 mins is as good as anything as a starting point. We don't want to encourage looooong video clips just for the sake of filling up the time so the rule says something about a target average of 3 minutes per clip and tell us your reasons if you go above 3 mins.

We've been listening and thinking about the other suggestions for new sections, professionals/amateur, hoops/juggling/staff/poi etc... at this stage, like some have said, we don't see how these can be readily distinguished between and the lines will always be blurry, so we prefer to keep everyones options open by having the one "general" category until such a time as other sections become more obviously in need of seperation from a general category.

Your continued feedback is always welcome and will help shape the future. The Rules are not fixed in stone so please, kick this around and let's see if anything needs changing...
ubbrollsmile

Oh, and in case you hadn't noticed before, I wrote a few pages about the history and philosophies of CoL into what I optimistically call an "e-book". There's some information gaps (even Malcolm's brain doesn't hold all the info wink !) so any feedback to complete and improve it would be appreciated. https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/e-book_Circles-of-Light.pdf

George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
sorry, you'll have to work that out yourself: that's the fun of getting an entry together!

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :poxe679

thats what i thaught thats a bumber any idea how id get ahold of darude?

yes, phone his booking agent, but my guess is they are gonna ask for a fat wedge of cash.

personally i would ask friends of mine that make music to make me a track, if you dont know anyone your welcome to pm me, sure someone i know might be up for donating a track to you for your vid

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
 Written by :LazyAngel

Written by : The RULES

What? Send us your video clip of Staff/Poi/Glowstick/Fire Poi/Juggling etc
When? posted to us before 30th June 2008 (we will allow 2 weeks after that for your entry to arrive)
How?
Please post your video/VCD/DVD/video cassette to
Home of Poi - circles of light
PO Box 6271
36A Sonter Road
Christchurch 8004
New Zealand.

You must also include a video submission form
and a performers release form for each performer appearing within the video
and amusic release form if your video submission includes any music.

Yeah, but for music that's essentially in the public domain, do you have to fill in a form? If I wanted to use classical music in the PD (no copyright) there's no way I can get an orchestra and conductor to fill that out. Equally, no artist that's released there music under a mostly free Creative Commons license is going to fill out a form like that. Why would they bother? Their music is already free and I'd just be asking them to do what they have already done, namely let me use their music for free.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Without knowing the specific music it's hard to make a 'blanket' statement that will answer this definitively. But I'll try!
The reason for the form is because we use the music on a DVD which is then sold. Even though all the proceeds are used to fund the forum bandwidth and costs, it is still categorised as commercial use and so we need to make sure we are not going to suddenly get an unexpected bill for royalties on someone's music. It is entirely possible that Creative Commons music IS free to use in this situation and if you can prove that to us then no problem. But even though most classical music may be in the "no copyright" category, it doesn't mean the particular recording of it you used isn't covered by a copyright as it was performed by someone who might want to make trouble for a "commercial" use of their recording without their permission. In the past we've had an entire DVD held up and had to go to re-editing and reprinting because of a dispute about the music. That's not fair for us or the other people's videos and the HoPpers waiting to see it - hence the form. As long as you can prove to us that the music you use has no copyright or usage issues attached to it, then we are good to go.

So Meg - in the examples you cite, if you are sure there are no issues with commercial use of the music, fill in the form along the lines of pointing to the reference which shows there is no problem using it (e.g. a weblink) and sign it. That should cover most things.

If however, we receive it and our interpretation - which will understandably err on the side of caution - is that it may not be useable, then the entry would run the risk of not being used. So, the cautious person would submit 2 entries - one with music and the form as described, and one without music just in case...

I hope this helps clarify the intent/reason for the music release and your (everyones) common sense will be able to apply this to each specific situation.

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah the licence I'm talking about is essentially free for everything, including commercial use, as long as it has attribution to the original composer. Which you will be doing as you attribute music at the start of each segment.

How much trouble I have to go to prove that the music is released under that license is what I'm wondering... I mean, if it's on a music collection site, like jamendo, and said to be under that license... how do I know that it was put there by the composer? Is jamendo's word enough on that front? How much checking do they do? I mean, surely they would be sued by the original artist if they knew about it, but does either party? ANd then say, I could follow a link back to the artist homepage where the another copy of the music could be found under the same free license, but again the issue of authenticity comes up. It's just the internet, it could be made up... How far does the paper trail have to lead and how really can I assume anything is authentic?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
people use the word "due diligence"... As long as you have made a reasonable effort (and document that for us) to ensure the music is ok to use then it will probably be fine.

There's also the other angle of how much checking do they do as you implied - do they go and check every DVD out there on the offchance they'll find their music being used? Chances are little old COL in the scheme of the worlds music industry isn't featuring highly on the lists.

grin

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
and the first COL entries arrive.... bounce2 bounce bounce2 bounce

*squeeeeeeeee * biggrin

grin

poxe679GOLD Member
40 posts

Posted:
god damn it i need to find a video camera lol

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ooooooo - first ones eh?
Who who who? wink biggrin

Mine's done - can't find a good compressor in Sony Vegas. Can make it either 9gb (!) or 32mb with poor quality...

George - can I send you a DivX avi? or is it just going to be easier to burn it onto a DVD?

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Durbs

Ooooooo - first ones eh? Who who who? wink biggrin

Not telling!! nana biggrin nana ubblol (But a couple of HoPpers you/everyone know/know of...)

George - can I send you a DivX avi? or is it just going to be easier to burn it onto a DVD?

Well it's definitely going to be easier to send the DVD, but it wouldn't hurt to experiment "in the background" with the concept of a "no post" submission system for the future. Put the DVD in the post to us and then PM/e-mail me about how we can do this as a trial. Ok?

grin

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Cool - i'll try and whiz something to you this evening...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
no COL entry from me guys, simply no time in my life now to offer anything new or different. looking forward to seeing what inspiring stuff is out there!
b

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
 Written by :bender

no COL entry from me guys, simply no time in my life now to offer anything new or different. looking forward to seeing what inspiring stuff is out there!
b

Aw, that's a disappointment, are you on any of the other COL DVD's? I was thinking about buying a few and seeing what the standard was like.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Bender's on the last one I believe and er... 2005? Maybe....

As a general viewing guide, i'd personally skip the first 3, no offence to any performers on them, but standards of both spinning and videos really jumped from 2005 onwards (note there's CoL5 and CoL 2005).

George - I haven't forgotten, will upload it tonight and PM you a link.

P

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
bender was on Col 5, 2006 (i think under 'shakuru'?) and 2007

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:

George - I haven't forgotten, will upload it tonight and PM you a link.

OK, no probs.

ps looked at a wall recently? You is almost everywhere I look this month! wink

grin

jeangenieGOLD Member
19 posts

Posted:
hi george,

i really hope you can help me. i'm hoping to enter col2008. my entry is pretty much ready only i'm having a MAJOR problem in relation to converting my file to dvd format. currently it is a .mov quicktime file. when i try to convert it to .vob for dvd it loses so much resolution and quality.

i hope it is possible to send you the entry as the .mov format on cd-rom and hopefully you can convert it at your end to the specifications which you require.

looking forward to hearing back from you on this,

jean

after going back to the drawing board... all seems to working out ok...... smile
EDITED_BY: jeangenie (1213716252)

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
have footage! now dashing to edit!

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
what's the deal with crediting the people who edited your video for you?

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i always thought the person that did the editing was the producer

is this not the case?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
director tells people what to do, producer does all the organising of stuff, editor does the cutting of the footage to a tune.

i have done a rough cut. woot! might actually finish by my self imposed deadline of friday morning....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
i also have a (very) rough cut. Didnt get everything i wanted last time i filmed though so gonna have to go out again when it stops raining mad might be a repeat of last year and posting on the last possible day.

"Don't do it naked!"

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by :-sandy-

... and posting on the last possible day.

surely not??! Surely everyone is organised and well aware of the competition deadlines and sends entries in plenty of time??

*glances at the COL2008 entries box. Notices it is more empty than full...*

hmmmm, maybe not!! biggrin

Come on you guys - we want our annual fix!!! ubbrollsmile

grin

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
can videos be submitted on mini-dv?

thats the highest quality i can do, i think....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
will .VOB files be accepted?

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
mini DV is fine
.VOB - hmmm maybe??? - that's the native DVD file format isn't it Guy?

basically, almost anything you can cut to a DVD will probably be fine. One of the main things to worry about though is resolution - if the resolution is low it will be pixelated when viewed later. Think of people watching it on a large screen TV screen rather than on a 14" monitor...

grin

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
rough cut's done finally...and now back to tweaking

*evil editing cackle* devil

and how risque are we allowed to get? ubbangel

Noelskimember
129 posts

Posted:
Ya!

Finished my entry today, mailing out tomorrow, early!

Where's everyone else at in their submissions?

poxe679GOLD Member
40 posts

Posted:
cant no camera no time:( so sad i was realy hoping i could enter this year

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
fielded a question by PM and can't update the site requirements for a few weeks so posting here.

Preferred screen format is Normal (i.e. not widescreen) 4:3 as widescreen isn't common enough yet and so we'd have to chop off the sides or make it mini and black out the top and bottom to see it all.

grin

Page: