Forums > Social Chat > Jobs for fire/LED spinners?

Login/Join to Participate

EmoAtHeartstranger
20 posts

Posted:
Okay, I shall now set out on my quest for a list future jobs to convince my mom to let me countinue spinning. (yes my mom is saying that i cant countinue spinning poi if i dont get a list of jobs and stuff that i can do that ivolves it and pays). Does Anyone have a good sugestions? If so please tell or the world will lose another artist in the way of poi?

I LOST THE GAME!!!!!!

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Well, I'd say the most common job would be in a troupe of other spinners. Do you have people in your area who do use poi as a job?

If not, do you think that you are ready to start performing for money? Do you have other people there who would like to join you?

There's another thread somewhere about starting a troupe and all the things you should do.

But Job wise, I can really only think of "travelling circus (you'd need to be ultra awesome) or fire troupe."

I know that some people have taught at school... but that's not really a fulltime thing.

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
moar gigs needs insurance.

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
honestly i think your mum is sounding a litle bit unreasonable.

would she let you play tennis even if you werent going to compete at wimbledon? everyone does some activity in their life that doesnt earn them money but they do it because they get pleasure from it and that enjoyment contributes to a well balanced healthy lifestyle. not everything in life has to be about making money, thats why the term "hobby" exists. perhaps point out that even though you may not be making money you are outside exercising and enjoying yourself and it doesnt impact on your ability to do other activities like getting a job. there are doctors, researchers and teachers on this forum that spin fire and its not hurting their jobs.

doesnt your mum have a hobby? i'd be shocked if she didnt have some intrest outside of working.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I agree with Mr Majestik.

Sure, you could do it as a job, but most people here are, I think, in it for the fun and exercise of it. I certainly am.

But good luck.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Mr Majestiks thats just what i was thinking.

Also having fun out side of work and study will help improve your fitness and your mental state so that when you do have to study you will do much better than if you were locked up in a room all day.

Also you could bring up the point that there are a lot of things you could be doing with your time that are a heck of a lot worse than Poi. Its health, makes you happy, and it doesn't hurt any one else.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
As long as its not all TV or poi, of course.

Just to make sure the issue isn't because you're neglecting your studies.

In which case you could probably stand to lose TV! grin

hug

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
I do it because I enjoy it a lot, but I have every intention of being a performer. Which reminds me I have been neglecting my human blockhead practice.

Circuses, Sideshows, busking...yeah it doesn't exactly sound glamorous but It's a performance art there aren't a lot of "jobs" for it.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Theatre
Tv
Films
Touring Circus
Stage Circus
Festivals
Teaching - students learning the art
teaching - corporate workshops
teaching - youth/outreach

and so on...

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

EmoAtHeartstranger
20 posts

Posted:
thanks everyone it turns out she is now convinced as long as i keep up with my grades! smile

I LOST THE GAME!!!!!!

DarkenAvatar of the Dancing Fire
59 posts

Posted:
I actually have high aspirations for my poi... Im trying to hook up with Cirque du Soleil as a professional fire spinner.

Ive been delving for work in this field myself.. Im already a bit of a street performer, though, playing my guitar usually yields more tips than poi.

If you find anything, please do let me know, i am very interested in the idea of being a professional light dancer.

"if you dont have anything nice to say, dont say anything at all."

-Golden Rule

"F*ck you. I spin fire."

-Darkens 3rd law

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Its a hobby.

The hell?

Next time she does something, ask her how that helps.

She like watching tv? That's much less constructive than practising poi.

...ah... Actually now reading mjk's post... he's hit the nail on the head. grin

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EmoAtHeartthanks everyone it turns out she is now convinced as long as i keep up with my grades! smile

huzzah!

just remember, as my philosophy teacher told me, Cs get degrees grin (but distinction averages get you a job at the end of it) tongue2

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

anonomatosGOLD Member
enthusiast
389 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Fine_Rabid_DogIts a hobby.

She like watching tv? That's much less constructive than practising poi.

Beside that, whatching TV is less destructive than practising poi. But don't tell your mum wink

"Don’t know how long, this one’s gonna take;
I could fail, but I’d rather be a fuckup, than a fake"

wicca15SILVER Member
Ghost
26 posts

Posted:
hey i seen this posting and thought that u might need some help. I have my own business performing Poi at peoples parties. I am trying to expand it into more states so if u want i can hire you, if u got any questions just ask me or email me at tim81093@yahoo.com, u can visit my website for more information, www.poishows.webs.com