Page:
keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
just found this video on youtube.. ive played with this idea before, but didnt know it was a thing. but they always already are somewhere in the fire universe.. ubblove

does anyone know anyone who does this? i found a site in sweden that sells them, gonna try make one first if i can get the weight right.

https://www.salza.se/inspiration.php

[image]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMVDsZrxQ7w[/image]

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Good idea on the aluminum design... Brass could work, too. I don't see any reason why the design for fire ones wouldnt work with non fire ones... just needs a bit of weighting added in.

hug

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I had success mucking around trying to make some out of things i had in the shed. I made one from a piece of threaded rod and a piece of dowel which both worked quite well. I didn't put any weight on the ends.

I also made a fire one out of the threaded rod which worked quite well though because i only had enough Kevlar for one wick i had to attach the string higher up on the rod.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hmm, indeed, threaded rod wrapped in colourful tape might do well. smile

hug

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonGood idea on the aluminum design... Brass could work, too. I don't see any reason why the design for fire ones wouldnt work with non fire ones... just needs a bit of weighting added in.

I probably should have mentioned, with the brass salza ones they only work one way. I haven't checked yet to see whether that is because of an offset hole or slightly more weight at one end, but if you hold it just by the string the stick will always have rotate to have the same head at the top.

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Either system would work as well as one another, I daresay. Though I think I'd rather the weight so I could feel how it topples over if I'm going to incorporate spins into it at any point.

Anyone got any comment on that?

hug

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Yeah my LED one is from salza.

I thought it would be easy to co-ordinate LEDs.. shouldn't they come in different frequencies. We bought two so our other one changes at the same frequency... I don't know yet whether we'll try to change it or whether we'll just use that one, knowing it looks different.

""I probably should have mentioned, with the brass salza ones they only work one way.""

Don't ALL levisticks only work one way??

I would suggest that beginners get a flow wand because it's lighter and easier to use...

But the salza fire and glow ones are very good... Though if you buy a fire one and then use it without experience you could burn the string...
The glow ones, I guess I newbie could pic it up, I just found it much easier to learn on Flow wand.
Sadly flow wand wasn't enough for our shows, which are done in the dark.

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: natasqi

""I probably should have mentioned, with the brass salza ones they only work one way.""

Don't ALL levisticks only work one way??

Sorry made that post while I was at work and fairly rushed, should have thought more before typing blush

Wasn't really aimed at anyone in particular, just seemed worth throwing in if talking designs.
EDITED_BY: Basstones (1224192038)

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
haha, i totally have a love/hate relationship with those postie slip things.

wow im so excited everyones so in love with levi.. ok well maybe just tones BUT yeah rather have gotten into it since first (and last) post by me.. i got the flowtoys one - which i HIGHLY reccommend its by far the best thing that every happened to me. i picked it up rather quickly and totally agree its easy to pretend to be good at but then challenging when you run out of ideas, im sure u guys know what i mean. am thinking that spinners that have a more movement based focus will be for the win with the levi..

how does the fire levi go tones? cmon i want some youtube action..
and brenn did u ever get to light yours up? and bummer ps!

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
My order with salza has had no response. No email confirmation and I sent them an email later and got no response to that. I'm curious about whether or not I'm actually going to be seeing a delivery any time soon. I'm a little annoyed about it.

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: keyarghahsnip...
wow im so excited everyones so in love with levi.. ok well maybe just tones ...

blush hehehe

Haven't had a chance to light them up and get any footage yet because of that other little project I have been working on, BUT i should have something up in the next couple of weeks. Also know that as soon as I light them up my practice time will be cut back drastically because I won't be able to play indoors (Still haven't had my flowwand returned after 8 WEEKS! Was meant to be two days...grrr)

Totally agree about the movement aspect, yutas movement class has come in very handy. Seems like the more you can move and keep the audiences eyes trying to track you, the more effective the illusion.

With any luck will get a copy of those photos tomorrow...

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Alrighty I did get a response now. They apparently didn't get my first email land I apparently didn't get their confirmation. Sweet so I will hopefully get my new props...MORE LEVISTICKS FOR EVERYONE

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Just got it!

Lots of fun right off the bat. I got the aluminum one, seems really light to me, I'm sure fueled it'll be different, but right now it's lots of fun and moves very smoothly.

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MRCJust got it!

Lots of fun right off the bat. I got the aluminum one, seems really light to me, I'm sure fueled it'll be different, but right now it's lots of fun and moves very smoothly.
Glad to hear it worked out in the end!

Went out again last night to finally try and get mine lit up only for this to happen... eek
https://livenews.com.au/Articles/2008/10/21/Golfballsized_hail_as_storm_rocks_Brisbane

EDITED_BY: Basstones (1224624744)

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Apparently some natural force is determined to stop you.

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Yeah I am getting a bit sick of it to be honest tongue2

Have finally got those pictures up in my gallery for anyone interested in buying/replicating smile

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
There will be photos and video of me in November for certain, as I'm gonna be playing at a big Halloween party. If I can find a camera in my own home that's worth the effort, I'll take some pictures of mine, and the firefly I got. Maybe I'll wait until I get the swing flags from HoP and just do all my toys at once...

Whatever.

Soon all the same.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Just ordered two levisticks. It's been that kind of day.

smile

We'll see how I progress from there.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Haha, good luck! I like simple routines which is probably why I only wanted the one. I wanna dance more than swing it around.

So far my experience is that first 2 days went swanky, I got it swinging, figured out how it works all that jazz. 3rd day, for some reason, I just kept twising the strings and it was just agonizing. This is a toy that I think will plainly take some work. Should be rewarding though.

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Yay! My flow wands arrived just before a fantastic party on Saturday Night. I'm glad I got two! Molly and I spend most of the night dancing about (to horrible music) but having a great time.

Of course, I've been practicing and she just picked it up and was 10 times better than me! She's got a great style and I pride myself on being style-free in all artistic capacities. wink

Maybe Santa will bring me some fire wands. grin

I'll have to reflect this week on some simple tips. Maybe we can start getting geeky with this toy. My first observation is that it's 95% presentation, but there are many concrete things you can do to improve that.

YAY LEVISTICK! YAY FLOWWAND! bounce2

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Very much presentation. The moves you can do with it seem very limited anyway. At least while maintaining the illusion. I find MOST of the work is in dancing etc.

Other than just building more comfort with it, I'm trying to get used to switching hands with it, so I can give the illusion a little more life.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
OOhh. swapping hands... new trick to try!

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
It is a fun thing to play with.
It's a lot easeier if you remove the little clear plastic bead.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
my first levi video..
it was pretty windy so this is most of the footage i took smile
promise ill be more control less shite next time..

Levi Levi Levi

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

MRCSILVER Member
Funky Blessings Daily
215 posts

Posted:
Good hand switching can allow the stick to go the whole way around your body. I haven't done it in front of a mirror but I would imagine helps the illusion.

Also...

I already ruined my stick!

Second night burning it some fuel got on the string. It barely touched flame it just deteriorated rapidly...Now while I was spnning it oddly so it might have flopped to the side when I pulled my hand out of the loop.

So I'm gonna need to buy some kevlar string and grip tape.

I'll probably get a normal one sometime though in my quest for both hot and cold performances.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
LOL @ "hot and cold performances"

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Rayanyour friendly neighborhood crack head?
30 posts

Posted:
i'll have to figure out how to make one.. those things look like a lot of fun.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
There is another thread about that exact topic. wink

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

LiraBRONZE Member
chasing the wind
16 posts

Posted:
I bought myself one for Christmas & I haven't put it down yet...oh dear stars this is far, far too much fun. So many movement possibilities, indeed! I think I'll tack it into the performance that our juggling club is doing in a couple of months...I can lose track of time playing with this <3

<3 wind

LiraBRONZE Member
chasing the wind
16 posts

Posted:
Pardon the double-post, but newb session number one! This wand is just so much love <3 even though half the time I look as if I'm not sure what to do with it. Oh well, more practice later.

<3 wind

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Well, I made one, and it is a fun diversion. tongue2

Of course, it could have been better (the cord kept twisting up) but it was ok.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Page: