Page: ...
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
OK. So here's the plan. I'm coming to Australia. I'll be coming on my own time with about 5 weeks to spare. I'm going to Christchurch for 3-4 days to visit some dude I know... biggrin

It will probably be around september-ish that I'll be going. I need to balance this against a planned trip to South America for some Spanish immersion that I desperately need.

Otherwise, I want to spend about one week in each place. That means four cities, five tops. I'll want to go exploring while I'm there. I can make side-forays, but nothing too extravagant. That means if you want to meet me, you might have to travel a bit. I understand what a pain that is; I live in a large country, too.

What four cities should I pick? Why? Where do you live?

There is one very important person, other than Malcolm, who I want to meet. I want to meet Taj. He's a true symbol of the spirit of this community and he's adorable. ubblove (Valura, honey, we need some photos, pleeze.)

So...where am I going? ubbrollsmile

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ubblol I was re-telling that story to someone at work only yesterday...

It's amazing how far modern cars will travel if you turn off the AC, close all the windows, stick to 70 km/h and pray lots.

Still didn't learn though, did it twice in NZ too smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ah - btw Doc... most important to remember... (never mind the gas - next fuel station is in 358k's and that's less than 300miles)

More important to get by any distance: Drive left wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: FireTom

Really - which Australia are you after, Doc?

the spinning
the white
the suburban
the touristy
the nature
the aboriginal

This is a big country, Dude

Well it's a touch smaller than the U.S.A. And having lived in the U.S. for 30 years, I haven't seen that much of it.

I want to meet as many HoPers as I can, and while I'm at it, I wanna pet some kangaroos and have a gander at Uluru (which I did about 15 years ago).

You could live in Rhode Island for 60 years and not get to all of it, so the concept of "which part do you want to see?" is always an issue.

But the real reason I'm going is to meet HoPers who I've only ever met in this rather grey cyber-world.

-Mike

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Umm.. you could always do what I'm doing, come up with elaborate plans for how to see everywhere you want, forget them all the the first week, then bounce around like a ping-pong ball for the rest of the trip.

smile

Do go to Tasmania if you can.. it really is cheap and fast to get to - you can even get a return for less than quoted if you get the timing right.
Other than that, I think people have basically covered all the good spots I've been to.

I'm going to add my vote to the 'go to Melbourne' too, they're nice grouphug

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
I think we have one of the best attractions in Australia here in Perth Doc:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=4

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Heeheee..that linked to Jed in Paris ubblol hug Love that pic.

Doc we can do wombat hugging and kangaroo patting very easily here, but lots of places over Oz have cottoned onto that as well.
Caversham Wildlike Park near us has the above plus koala stroking and lots of native animals to look at.
Their is a native reptile park that I believe you can hold the darlings. I havent been to that one but have been to one near my mums ubblove that you get to drape yourself with reptiles. The do kangaroo patting but the roos arent very gentle.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Durbs

ubblol I was re-telling that story to someone at work only yesterday...

It's amazing how far modern cars will travel if you turn off the AC, close all the windows, stick to 70 km/h and pray lots.

Still didn't learn though, did it twice in NZ too smile

You have many other talents other than watching fuel gauages

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

MedusaSILVER Member
veteran
1,433 posts

Posted:
Yeah I was trying to bribe Doc with the good site of our attractive people...do you think it will work?

ubblol

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
ubblol ubblol ubblol ubblol

I wonder if Bill talking Biochemistry with him is an attraction or detraction. Wombats might work better.

Is it the Truth?

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
OK - heres my 2p's worth
I have spent a fair few months in Oz on 3 seperate occasions.
Heres where ive been and what I think:
Briz - wonderfull people, not so interesting city - but then why would you want to go to the city when theres the lovely Gabe and her unofficial HOP hostel. Its a must as far as spinning goes - probably the largest community in OZ?
Sydney - Good for juggling (althogh I never went to the Briz Juggle club) and an intersting city
Inbetween is Byron Bay - I lived out in the bush from there and worked the pitch in Byron doing Fire (you need a licence and work visa to get it - so probably not viable for you to busk ther for a short time) Its a MUST really. Its for sure changed since the true days of Hippy-dom, but theres still a nice beach and bush around. Also some lovely local people, and LOADS of tourists/Gap year students - although if you go in August/Spet deffinately less of the Boozy crowd. Not much of a spining 'scene' although you'll for sure find a load of traveller spinners. You may even get free accomodation at the 'art factory' hostel if you teach some workshops.
The hippies have all gone to Mullumbimbi where there is also Spaghetti Circus - go check it. Also Nimbin's the 'Capital of Ganga' if youre into that.
Melbourne - havent been yet (unbelievably!!) although I have quite a few performer friends and collegues there. Go check it for Culture.
Adelaide - Common Ground Oct , You gotta go - thers some wicked spinners there Ben, Josh etc.. although whne I was there for the Fringe I didnt actually get to spin with ay of them.
But for me a MUST - GOTO PERTH!!!!
Yes its far away, Yes its isolated, but the people there are some of the loveliest you'll meet anywhere. Very open hearted and friendly - really appreciative of newcomers - go teach them something and they'll love you forever.
Hire a car for a week and head down south. If you decide to PM me and i'll give you details of some BEAUTIFULL places to go. I did 5 days and covered quite abit, saw loads and had a wicked time. You may get lucky and see Whales at the time youre going (although I think its more Oct)
Those are the main places I went
Although i spent most of my time in NZ. I LOVE NZ - Sorry to say Ozzies. I'd recomend leaving some time to have a look around there, not just Christchurch - although some wicked people there (I think Spheculism Matt is there?) Again PM me if you need details on places there.
Hope that helps and hope you have a great time
Peas out

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Crikey Perth is getting a nice reputation biggrin

NZ was lovely when I was there but it was prespinning. Would be a whole new ballgame now.

I plan to go to Brissie some day soonish biggrin

Is it the Truth?

MojojoGOLD Member
wandering dingo
167 posts

Posted:
While we are bribing peoples with Jed pics...Staffing around

sorry. offtopic

Only three things are certain: Death, Taxes, and that England will not win back the Ashes in this lifetime.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Doc Lightning

There is one very important person, other than Malcolm, who I want to meet. I want to meet Taj. He's a true symbol of the spirit of this community and he's adorable. ubblove (Valura, honey, we need some photos, pleeze.)

Oh doc... I just had a big sooky cry at that...what a lovely thing to say.... so beautiful of you to say.

I have always thought that you and Taj will have such an amazing connection... He also is very attached to Bird and Jonny youcoughed.

You helped me so much when I was sick and I cant wait to meet you.

You are so welcome to stay for as long as you would like.

I know Taj will LOVE to play with you. As will arsn Im sure... oh that sounds dodgey... ubblol ubblol ubblol

YAY! ubblove hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
can i come play too miss valura hunny if i move to aus.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Pk you are totally welcome at anytime sweetie... There are a few hoppers that would never need to ask if they could stay at anytime, and you are one of those few.

hug

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
move to aus?

you mean we'd get to steal you permenantly?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
theres quite a strong possibility there, still early to say.

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Wow... do let us know if you ever do. We'd be glad to have you PK smile hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by: PK_

theres quite a strong possibility there, still early to say.

Move to Oz??? - You have no taste! ubblol

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Depends on where he comes to doesnt it wink ubbrollsmile

Is it the Truth?

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
There would be lots of places where i'd visit in Aus.

Kinda like Doc... spoilt for choice.

Perth (Have family there) + Gnor and others.
Melburp (Have family there too) +Flynt, Bender etc.
Sydney (for a special lady of mine for a lot of years and Flashfire too)
Brissie, Adelaide + Barrier Reef, for lots of hoppers.

I won't be moving any where just now that's for sure... too early, head too messed up... but for a change i do have money in my pocket.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
2008 ..... thats like ages away you should shift ur travel plans forward a year *nods*

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Can't. Will you be old and fat by the time I get there, then, Ben?

-Mike

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
He already is! wink

He does have very pretty hair though biggrin

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Oooh, I want to touch it! biggrin

Written by: Valura

I know Arsn will LOVE to play with you. oh that sounds dodgey... ubblol ubblol ubblol

Is this how you greet all visitors to your country? rolleyes

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by: Valura

I know Taj will LOVE to play with you. As will arsn Im sure... oh that sounds dodgey... ubblol ubblol ubblol

And the bit about arsn gets me all hot and bothered... *fans self*

-Mike

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
mike im single for the first substantial time in like forever and committed to staying that way until ... well awhile, this year could be your only chance to flirt with me without having to worry about the jealous girlfriend factor

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Ben have you just uttered the "significant female" summoning?...look out. You could just tell them that you are on dating holiday for a week in 2008 wink

Is it the Truth?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
my theory goes that the universe keeps trying to tempt me away from singleness whenever i decide i am going to be single by crossing my path with beautiful women, so i figure im going to hold out this time and let the universe keep upping the anti until Sarah Michelle Gellar comes along

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
ubblol i like that theory ben... i shall start testing it now tongue

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

Page: ...