Forums > Social Discussion > Chicago to get "gay-friendly" school

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
https://www.cnn.com/2008/US/10/13/gay.friendly.school/index.html

I'm opposed to the idea and I'm opposed to NYC's similarly-themed school.

The solution is not to create a "separate-but-equal" institution. We tried that already, remember? The solution is to tackle the root of the problem. If gay students are dropping out and skipping school because of harassment, then tackle the harassment.

Teach mandatory classes in which students are informed what sexual minorities exist, what they are, some common myths about them (gay men are not women in mens' bodies, etc.) and, most importantly, see to it that adults serve as positive role-models and VOCALLY stand up for gay rights, equality, and dignity.

That's what we need to do, not shuffle all the queers off into some building where they won't get hurt.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
It says that since they can't ask the kids their orientation that it would be for any student who had felt ostracised because of references to their orientation.

So it would be for questioning kids as well.

I guess one benefit is that it will mean the students are no longer romantically destitute due to a lack of options. (I have a gay friend who i feel sorry for, because he's a really wonderful guy, but in this town he'll have a hard time finding a decent partner, so this is where my perception of a lack of options comes from.)

hug

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Completely understandable MNS.

Basically when I "came out" in my school, well first off noone cared because I was basically friends with every click from nerds to jocks, and secondly, I was it.

I'm sure there were more, but until I was 19 I never really met another gay or lesbian individual. I mean I'd talk to people on the internet, but most of those people I'm sure were after something I wasn't offering. Darn perverts.

Actually, really up until this year, I never really even had gay friends. It's weird. There are still people in my life who don't know *shrug*.

Also, sometimes fighting back can be good, sometimes it can be bad. I was picked on in middle school, but only for being a nerd really, by highschool noone touched me because I was the, how do you say... Quiet One? I was never angry or loud, I was just quiet and reserved, so people just assumed I was ready to snap and we all became great friends.

I did however enter into alot of fights, thank goodness noone ever decided to bring friends along. Most of the fights though... Well, I'm just going to say all the "tough" kids in my school, they were just as scared of a fight as I was. By standing up to them sometimes they back down I've found, it really depends on the person.

cleezyBRONZE Member
journeyman
58 posts

Posted:
at first it sounds like at good idea
but then i got to thinking it doesn't solve the problem, it kinda covers it up. It lets the anti-gay people know that they can keep doing what they want and that nothing has to change...its almost going backwards
in a way it could be a little dangerous because the kids at that school could be targeted, kind of like gay bars, people wait for them to leave and then attack. The school as a whole could also be targeted, i can just picture the "god hates fags" posters or "its a choice" posters waiting for a kids after school

they should have classes iforming the parent and student that it is not make anyone believe a certain way but to teach tolerance...RESPECT for you fellow man...or woman

cleezyBRONZE Member
journeyman
58 posts

Posted:
agreed, school is what we all have in common. i watched a documentary on GLBT comming into classrooms and asking kids what they thought...and let me tell you, these kids appeared to be more ational than most adults. When kids grow a little older they start to pick up on whos different and how. They "gay" sticks out the most and is few in number! easy target. Add in some viewpoints from homophobic parents and there you go... ppl are often afraid of the unfamiliar...make it familiar and the problem starts to ease

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Gays/Lesbians and Bisexuals are actually pretty common in my school. Me being bi- myself havent had anyone target me but I know a few that have been. The worst part is that people doing the targeting are basing all their views on what other people are saying and not getting to know their targets. Orientation shouldn't be such a big deal in my opinion. We should learn to accept people as they are.

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
CJ, are you male or female?

I find that girls can get away a lot more easily with being openly bi or lesbian. I see a lot more girls coming into my clinic calmly reporting their minority sexuality than I do boys.

In fact, I have had ONE boy tell me he's gay so far. And he was a 6'8" mountain of a kid in the Bronx. Nobody was gonna mess with him.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
>.> did Cleezy just agree with herself? confused2

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Chloe'GOLD Member
enthusiast
324 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Doc LightningCJ, are you male or female?

I find that girls can get away a lot more easily with being openly bi or lesbian. I see a lot more girls coming into my clinic calmly reporting their minority sexuality than I do boys.

In fact, I have had ONE boy tell me he's gay so far. And he was a 6'8" mountain of a kid in the Bronx. Nobody was gonna mess with him.

Im a female-and I would agree that girls are accepted a lot more than men about being open with sexuality. Most of the people I know that have been hurt by other because of the open-ness were guys. Its a shame really...

Listen to Your heartbeat and dance...

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Ideally all our schools should be 'gay friendly'.

One issue I see with this kind of segregation is that the rest of the schools may well see a significant decrease in the number of gay or bisexual students, giving less examples of non-stereotyped members of the gay community.

I have a friend that I think is probably gay or at least bisexual deep down but would never admit it even to himself because of the stigma attached. So could this lead to a further decline in those that identify as being gay alongside a decline in those that come out about it?

hug

cleezyBRONZE Member
journeyman
58 posts

Posted:
lol no, i had wrote my own comment and i "tried" to reply to mother natures son's reply to doc lightning...
i dont know how to work these forum thingys

i am still loopy tho...
crazy
EDITED_BY: cleezy (1240460245)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I fully support lesbians.

I have many of thir DVDs at home and hope my money has helped them to fund their education campaigns.

angel

MokaGOLD Member
is a medium/large scary man
420 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: UnscrupulousChavOffersFootI fully support lesbians.

I have many of thir DVDs at home and hope my money has helped them to fund their education campaigns.

angel

By that I'm suuuuure you mean films like, Chasing Amy, Loving Annabelle and Sister my Sister... crazy
laugh3

Contact juggling was invented by dung beetles.

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
I heard recently that there has been an Islamic Scouts group set up near me...

The Scouts aren't religous anyway why does there have to be a seperate Muslim one?

Its the same issue... segregation over integration!

Please insert a full page of ranting here... all basically summerising what you guys have said again!

Aaaaaarrrrghhhhhhh....

Ah well!

Look at this and smile
https://willlangford.com/2006/02/06/bitch-stole-my-fish/

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Hm.. I remember there being a pledge to 'serve god and my country' in order to join Brownies..

I found the Brownie Promise handbook a few weeks ago, and it had the lord's prayer in it. It's not majorly religious, but it *is* Christian. I guess I noticed as I decided I was atheist when I was 10, and it bugged me at the time.

They should just drop the religious references in the current scouts though, starting a new one is just...

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i think the scout theme its relative to where you are, although theres no denying it is traditionally christian and british.

wiki scout promise

Australia: To do my duty to my God, and To (the Queen of) australia

Belgium: To be loyal to a higher ideal, our group and democracy

India; to do my duty to my Dharma or God and my country

USA: To do my duty To God and my country

UK: To do my duty to God and to the Queen

i remember them changing it to "my" god in australia for exactly the discussed reason. theres no need for segregation.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Were you in Venturers, Majestik? If so you would have been kicking round VG the same years I was, I believe.

hug

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Wait, never mind that, you're a freak aren't you? Sorry, I mean Tasmanian.

hug

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
i was and i am smile

RaVe was the ship. best crew that did the least work EVER

Page: