4LeafCloverSILVER Member
Never confined to a single belief
32 posts

Posted:
I hope this belongs in this forum, because it has to do with choreography. So anyways, I just got back from a pretty interesting 'freestyle' session. When just practicing, especially with no plan, anything can happen so I usually use my practice poi, it is just tube socks, with tennis balls in the bottom and a knot tied to the top.

So, naturally the knot creates a bit of weight, and I remember Nathaniel Everest posting a video on his youtube account about counterweights, and he kind of threw the poi, it flipped in the air and he caught it back to regular position. Well my practice poi socks are too short to add in a counterweight, but I probably will if I get bigger socks, or weight for my new poi to get in the mail.

So Nathaniel, you could probably answer this. Along with many other members, when I tried throwing them up in the air and caught them, it sort of worked and then it crossed my mind that this technique could be used in a slower part of a routine, where in split time you threw the poi in the air, it flipped and you caught it (possibly in the other hand, but I do not think that is necessary).

So I wondered if anybody has ever used this technique, or something similar. I also thought that if I got good at that, eventually I could use three poi and it would be like juggling, then you could go into a routine that used three poi https://www.homeofpoi.com/ubbthreads/ima...ult/shocked.gif

So has anybody done this? And what are your thoughts on this?

May the Centrifugal Force be with you.

::Ignorance Is Bliss

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'm not 100% sure on what you're really talking about, but any poi can be thrown, some work more effectively, some work in different ways, my poi curve in a perfect arc with the poi head facing inward for most of the throw, just before I have to catch it.

You can probably catch the poi directly into a stall if it doesn't turn well enough to keep the rotation going... You could give it a flick to get more rotation out of it and all that kind of junk.

You can put plasticine up the end of your poi, you don't need to tie anything and they should remain the same length... the plasticine will just clump to the fabric. smile

3 poi juggling is entirely possible, but its not an area of poi I feel would be beneficial to my style...

hug

railspinnerjourneyman
99 posts

Posted:
I use counter weighted handles, it opens up all kinds of avenues for possibility.

The less people know the more they believe

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
*is confused*

Er - try [Old link] the boards for "throwing poi", "weighted handles", "poiggling", "juggling poi", "wibbles", "contact poi", "whip catches"...

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

4LeafCloverSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
Durbs, I tried some of those, and a few others. Maybe I did not read far enough, but I did not find the type of discussion I wanted. Anyways, I knew poi could be thrown, or else nobody would have any information. To sum it up, for those not completely sure of what I am talking about. I was wondering if throwing poi was a common move in routines, or ever used. Personally I have never seen those techniques used in routines.

meshunderlayBRONZE Member
Juggler/Spinner
612 posts

Posted:
Check out the video linked [Old link] There.

It's linked under the name "Spinach Sessions". The second man in the video does some throws.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
When mentioning throws you can't leave out...

The part I'm pointing out occurs at 6:29 onward, watch that man.

hug

4LeafCloverSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
Alright, thanks guys. Really starting to get a good handful of knowledge on this subject, definitely an aspect I'm willing to dive into.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I think most people avoid them because they can look very sloppy.

I want to use them more though, they can also be a case of wtf did he just do?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

4LeafCloverSILVER Member
32 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: astonI think most people avoid them because they can look very sloppy.

I want to use them more though, they can also be a case of wtf did he just do?

Yeah. Like anything, if it is overused, however, if played right at the perfect time it really adds something. I have noticed things like that with Magic and CJ (I do both)