Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Brighton and Bristol workshops by Nick Woolsey of playpoi.com

Login/Join to Participate

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Nick Woolsey of Play Poi is coming to the U.K

For those of you who do not know Nick, he is one of the most experienced poi teachers around, and has travelled all over the world teaching and practising the art of poi. Maybe you know his Video "Scales of poi"?

On the 1st and the 2nd November Nick Woolsey is running a workshops Brighton. Venue is The Manor on Manor Road in Brighton. Its a huge sports-hall that has a fantastic outside area where we can practice fire after the workshops.

Saturday 1st November :
Advanced a group: 11am-1pm (part 1)

Beginners 2-4pm and another (part 1)

Advanced b group: 5-7pm (fully booked).

Sunday 2nd November :

Advanced a group: 11am-1pm (part 2)

Beginners 2-4pm and another (part 2)

Advanced b group: 5-7pm (fully booked).

On the 8th and 9th of November Nick will hold workshops in Bristol and they will be running by same order as above.

Places are limited to 15 so please book soon if you would like to secure a place.
We are planning a poiparty in the evening and possibly a performance by Nick.

you can contact: info@poipartout.com for bookings or more info.

EDITED_BY: torchlein (1224586680)
EDIT_REASON: some spaces are booked

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
How much is it? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Hello, It will be £40 for the two day workshop. 2h saturday and 2h sunday.

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Oh but you can also just book one of the sessions. That would be 25£ for 2h. But should you be stuck for where to stay if you want to attend both days you could stay on our bedsofa for that night?
Let me know. Helena xx

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
You guys should take advantage of these workshops - Great teacher, GREAT person, Great learning.
Ive got Dubai gigs so wont be there, but good luck with these Nick

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
am trying to arrange to go to bristol for the workshops with a few cambridge people

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Some more info on the Bristol workshops, please smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Direct copy from the facebook page:

World renowned poi artist Nick Woolsey is coming to Bristol to teach workshops. Whether you are a beginner or have been spinning for years Nick is sure to be able to show you new moves and concepts that will keep you busy for the next year.

These will be held at Artspace Lifespace's new venue "The Island" in the centre of Bristol on saturday 8th and sunday 9th of November.

We will be running a beginners and an advanced workshop with a part 1 (sat) and a part 2 (sun) for each with all workshops lasting 2 hours.

Places are limited to 15 for each workshop so book early, although if demand is high enough there will be 2 of each workshop.

The workshops will cost £25 for one or £40 for both, if you are only planning on coming to one it is best to attend the first as the second builds on the first.

I am trying to get the workshop space booked for overnight saturday so we can jam in the evening and as crash space for people who need it but this isn't confirmed yet. If we cant get the workshop space (which is nice and big with loads of light and high ceilings) there is a hostel nearby that is quite cheap, if there is enough interest I will try to get a bulk discount on rooms (they are £16 a night normally). We may also be able to find sofa / floor space with some local spinners.

If you are interested in attending please email or message me and we can sort out details

*above written by Sandy

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hmmm... curious and tempting smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Well done Guy you beat me to it. the face book page is at:
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=30479422242&ref=mf

Timings of the workshops are
Saturday 8th November :
Advanced a group: 11am-1pm (part 1)

Beginners 2-4pm and another (part 1)

Advanced b group: 4.30-6.30pm (part1).

Sunday 9th November :

Advanced a group: 11am-1pm (part 2)

Beginners 2-4pm and another (part 2)

Advanced b group: 4.30-6.30pm (part 2).

If people interested could please join the facebook event so i have an idea of the number of people we are dealing with, it would make my life easier and means i can sort out crash space for those who want it.

"Don't do it naked!"

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Facebook!!!

Pah!

Although saying that, I was tempted to join up the other day. So i switched my computer off and went for a juggle instead. grin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Look_This_ChangesFacebook!!!

Pah!

Although saying that, I was tempted to join up the other day. So i switched my computer off and went for a juggle instead. grin

clap Well done Ed. Bloody Facebook!

Gayle.....!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Diss it all you want, it's better than sitting in the office doing work wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Torchlein - thank you for your help and kind offer of somewhere to stay but I think if i do go to the workshops it will be in Bristol - closer to home! xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Has anyone been to Nick's workshops before?

I haven't spun poi in a year or so and would like to know a little more of what to expect from either beginners or advanced so I can decide which one to go for. xxx

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
This video should help:

https://www.playpoi.com/overview-of-the-basics

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
hey thanks for l;etting me know. Nick advises people should watch the following video to decide which one to do: https://playpoi.com/overview-of-the-basics

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Our advanced classes are almost booked, but if anyone knows beginners who would like to learn, please spread the word. Thank you smile smile

torchleinGOLD Member
Jupiterpassion
35 posts

Posted:
Workshops are starting tommorow, very exciting smile whistle
Just an update for those coming: Please arrive 15 minutes before the time. The 37 and 37B bus go straight from train-station to Manor Road where the workshop will be be taking place at the Manor. BN25EE.

Also you can bring friends to the after party, we have a big Hall inside and big outdoor space for doing fire. But please let me know who you are bringing so we have an idea of numbers.... Party will be from 7-10pm but there are many other things going on in Brighton for those who want to continue partying.

Everyone should bring some food and drink ( enough for 1 person) but we can then share things.

All we have to create now is lovely dry weather cool

See you all very very soon..........

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
can anybody point me to a googlemap of the old police station in Bristol, please?

Also, have just founf out Mr. Scruff is playing in Bristol from 9pm-4am sat night (as the guy who I was going to crash with suddenly told me he'd be going)

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Googlemap: https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&...=1&ct=title

Additional info taken from the Chimaera SpinJam thread:

There is an NCP opposite: Rupert Street, BS1 2PY. It's 24 hour according to NCP. Or one the other side of the Island, Bristol Nelson Street which is on Fairfax Street, BS1 3BB

If you're struggling to find the Island on maps/sat nav etc, look for Bridewell Police station on Nelson Street. It's one and the same.

Gayle.....!

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
thanks lovely smile

hug