Page:
dannypoimember
3 posts

Posted:
well after talking to loads of people i was told spitalfields is the place to go and spin meet new people learn afew new moves. maybe its just me or is it aload of shite. i went one week and found it to be a bunch of students/hippies who think they must be cool. maybe its because i dont fit into any of these catergorys. i also found that none of these spinners were that great, not that i am such an expert. maybe its just me??? what do you think?

:)

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Is this a real post? I ask because of the at the end and the fact that many people's senses of humour are based on the lowest form of wit.

If it is a real post then I suggest you chill out and drop your preconceptions before venturing into the outside world.

And if I you think the level isn't that great then don't just bitch about it, help improve it. Simple really. And if you think the london spinning level isn't that great, then I'm eager to see you spin so I can learn from you.

See you in London sometime

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
thats gotta be the funniest post i ever read on HoP.

how can you slate some thing where every one that loves it comes and chats? lovly to see catagories too "students/hippies" ??? and? you got the latest ben sherman shirt yet?

cheer up goth.

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
dannypoi, if we're not that great then come down again next week and teach some people.

If you had opened your eyes or bothered to chat to anyone then you'd probably have worked out that were people from a ridiculous nunber of different backgrounds regardless of their appearance.

I don't remember you making the effort to introduce yourself to me

What were you not spinning, and what drugz were you on.

In fact if you're that great then come down again and fu*king show me up.......

(I don't take critisism that well from people that I feel have no point of reference)

[ 24. May 2003, 23:40: Message edited by: SmallBoy ]

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Dannypoi -
All the spitz people i know, and every time i've been down, they've been the kindest and best people i've met!
Like Smallboy said, there are people of all backgrounds there, and all different degrees of spinning.
I remember my first time at spitz everyone was very welcoming.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

2,737 posts

Posted:
It's just occured to me that I got offended because I felt that as an attack on all my friends and the people that put so much hard work into bringing together all the (open minded) people that go.

It's just occured to me that the Brixton Workshop on a wednesday, the Acton Worskhop on a Monday and the Clapham meets on a sunday are all more or less the same vibe.

As were 491 Gallery, Kensal and most other meets.....

If you could point out to me a workshop that better suits your "classification", (ie not a hippy or student.....or obviously for that matter goths, bikers, or city workers and all the other people that were milling about), please let us know:-
a) where and when you meet
b) who would and wouldn't be welcome.

Don't wanna go upsetting the organisers of such an event with a hippy/student presence.

DsAdsPoi? Never!
316 posts

Posted:
Were All lovely!!!

Is that magnets!?

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
Um....

WTF

I cant believe that this has been posted... I feel quite insulted considering how long I have been attending these gatherings and the ammount of lovely interesting people I have met...

Question... Werent you a student once? and also Who are you to be lableing people as hippies?

Before you start talking like you know what you are talking about go and experience it fully and then come in here and post your opinion then mit might hold some validity.

And as for the level of spinning i dont really respect that seeing as some of the best london spinners go to spits so to you....

ARG!

no hugs today for you!
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
DsAds

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

_Stix_Pooh-Bah
2,419 posts

Posted:
I feel a little sorry for you Dannypoi.. if you can make the assumtion that the people that attend spitz are all hippies and students on one visit, you're a little close minded and probably thnk quite alot of yourself.. I've never been to spitz but met a few people who do attend, and they are all lovely..

Maybe you should try to knock your self down a few pegs or maybe karma will do it for you soon.. your no better than anyone else and you are way to quick to judge.

and to quote a tune that I like at the mo.. 'once a lable is on something it becomes an 'it' - like it's no longer alive' open your eyes hunny - classfications should only be found in the record shop.

I honour you as an aspect of myself..

You are never to old to storm a bouncey castle..

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by MisStix*:
open your eyes hunny - classfications should only be found in the record shop.

Well said! and even those classifications can be wrong!

hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I know why this all happened..

Its cos i wasnt there wasnt it?

look look, i know that smallgirl said that when im not there, you can hear a pin drop..

but everyone else is fun too...

(and bams gives the bestest hugs ever...)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
cool it, cool it. Why don't y'all just chill out

Non-Https Image Link

hmmm. nooo, no noo noo noo. mr dannypoi mate you've got all wrong. You go posting stuff like that, all you'll manage to do is go getting peoples back. like that

Anyway I reckon that the london poi and juggling and staff scene, (which is still very much underground) is a place where many people who have never really fitted in anywhere else find a place to chill, and be.
but I always thought that the spitz crowd had too many people who worked in proper sensible jobs*,
(*I'm joking guys alright) and not enough sqwat-living dumpster-diving fetish-fairies (ben).
you always need a fairy ben to come and liven up your day

any way, would be quite nice if y'all chill out, and danny, give the spitz peeps a second chance, I never go down there, but I know a lot of them all the ones that I've met:
Smallboy bambam, cole, drome kelly, ewan who runs it, UCOF jon, simon and jez and all the planet angel posse are all really friendly. and theres some amazing spinners in that lot, even if you might not see it cos they're too busy sitting down chilling.

smiles
Drew

[ 25. May 2003, 09:45: Message edited by: Glåss ]

CassandraFroggie ... Ribbit !!!
4,224 posts

Posted:
hmmmm... I think London scene in general is one of the highest poi level I have seen around the world so far, not that it is in their genes (whilst hooliganism is ) or in teh food they eat (england food ? ) but because they are a point of transit for travellers from alll over the world and they feed from so much richness of styles. also it is probably one of the oldest poi scenes too, partly for the same reasons, partly because of teh high level juggling scene, anyway ...

I think we should start it from scratch... go back to one of the meets and take a closter look. maybe be a bit more respectfull and less prompt to categorize or judge and you will be surprised at teh variety of people and the high level too... create and do not destroy. And if you can teach Glass or DOm or smallboy or Cole a few tricks that would be awesome I think they are a bit rusty

shine on and big fat hugs to everyone in London

shine on
Cass

"I want brown bread... no, that is diesel oil..."
"So I was raised in Europe, where History comes from ..."
"NON !!! La Plume de mon oncle n est pas Bingibangibungi !!!"

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Having traveled about 4,000 miles to go to Spitalfields, I have to disagree just a teeensy bit.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

2,737 posts

Posted:
And you're always welcome back - x

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
i'm with mike... except i didnt go to spitz as i was coming home 2 days before it... one day.

i have travelled long and far to goto some of the london workshops, the viaduct and so on, and i travel just to see my friends... thats every one thats posted above!. i have more but their real people. i love them all to bits.

thats all i'm gonna say

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
Yep, backs up SmallBoy is right that we see it as an attack on our friends.

However dannypoi, I'm honestly interested to know why you felt this way. As somebody who in the past has helped disorganise such events I'm interested to know how they're perceived by new comers, and their expectations.

Some people have the expectation that if they go to a meet it'll be like Hop, with all the banter, welcoming, etc... but in real life. However reality isn't like that, people are shy, or they've have a bad day and are tired so aren't feeling too social. Also the regulars are going to know each other so a new person may feel left out.
There isn't a fanfare and welcoming committee when new people arrive, but a few of the regulars do make the effort to reach out to new people, an effort they make freely because they're nice people. But it works 2 ways, if you turn up, don't make an effort to speak to people, learn moves, etc.. Or if you turn up in a bad mood and a bad attitude then your opinion of the event is going to be clouded.
So come along again, and please realise that people are friendly, they come from all backgrounds, belong to all ages (oldest spinner I know is 60) and the level is quite good (I meant it honestly when I said that if you think the level isn't that great then I'd love to see what you consider 'great').
Although maybe you want to change your name when you intoduce yourself to people

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
He never actually said we were unfriendly.

Just that we're not very good, and that we think we're cool.

Sounds about right to me

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Daiquetmember
29 posts

Posted:
This reminds me of a conversation i regularly have - "you fire twirl, but you arent a hippy"!!!

Makes me every time! (Then i want to )

Love Daiquet

whoops

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
You're not a hippy!!!
Then get out of our tree!!!!

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
first time i read this i just thought it was someone having a laugh.

i still have that opinion.
i don't believe a 27 year old would make assumptions like that based on the merits of one visit and then draw conclusions about people he has never even cared to communicate with.

if i turn out to be wrong and this is serious comment then i don't see why we're trying to change this man's mind - if after spinning for a whole two long months in thailand dannypoi decides the spinning scene is not really for him then so be it.

i haven't been spinning long either but in all instances i have found the scene to be not only welcoming but rewarding in almost every aspect.

come down to spitz again dannypoi. if i was there the first time and didn't say hello i apologise. if you come down again and leave with the same opinions then i guess like you say that spitz isn't for you.

finally - no good spinners @ spitz?!!???
abre los ojos!
anyhoo dom is back soon so we should get at least one down every now and again...

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

BamBamPooh-Bah
1,810 posts

Posted:

Bams

A kiss blown is a kiss wasted, the only kind of kiss is a kiss tasted.

I'm a woman. We don't say what we want, but we reserve the right to be pissed off if we don't get it. That's what makes us so fascinating and not just a LITTLE bit scary.

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
I don't make it often but when I have, I have found Spitz full of wonderful creative people and very welcoming. And none of the 'hippes' stoned me for showing up in my work clothes ever

As others said there is a big mix of folks at Spitz, many of whom work, just because people change out of their work clothes to go spin does not mean.

Practicing with socks may not look as stunning to you as the poi /staff with the stunning background of a Thailand beach.

Been to Thailand, and yes there were fab spinners but no more so than some of the amazing spinners at Spitz, many of whom have inspired me to keep playing and pick up new toys!

Everybody is lovely (except DsAds, watch out for that guy ) You said 'they think they must be cool'. Therefore from that one can see that clarly you think they are cool.

What do I think? I think you are having a go at these lovely peeps because you are intimidated by them. Before making judgements, go and introduce yourself and talk to some folks. I know it is easy to make snap judgements, but I think you will be doing yourself an injustice. I think you have seen from the reaction here that there are lots of people who are genuinely hurt that you could be so small minded as to categorise them without taking the time to talk to anyone

Fools follow rules, don't box yourself into any category.

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Ug...

C'mon people. The "Let's pander to the Troll" game is getting weak. If I had said what dannypoi had said you'd have already dismissed it. Why are y'all giving some random guy so much say?

If I said I hated your shoes would y'all run out and buy new ones? Or ask for an explanation?

You guys are being silly. You are all wonderful people and even people who've never been there know that the best poi in the world is going on in England.

And if you're going to pander a troll, at least pander to me...

YOU JERKS DON'T GIVE ME ENOUGH MONEY! You hippies never send me free stuff in the mail!

(Awaits hordes of gifts and cash)

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
mr nyc troll sir - sorry about posting something that you have no real comment on - we'll try to keep the hop discussions more relevant to yourself in future.
and we'd be glad to remedy your situation too...

just post your real name and address in an open forum and we'll get right on it.

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
NYC - I just saw the thread today so it is new to me!

Not exactly fair to call Danny poi a troll cause he did not like Spitz, better to tell him to get of his ass and give people a chance.

Why?

Because WE ARE NICE BLOODY PEOPLE GODDAMMMN YOU

Come faeries, take me out of this dull world, for I would ride with you upon the wind and dance upon the mountains like a flame.

- W B Yeats

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I'm not exactly a Spitz expert, having only been there once, but I will say this: I don't think Spitz is about being a hippie or a student or a goth or a raver.

It's about being a spinner.

If you go there with anything else in mind, you're going to be very disappointed.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
NYC means Troll as in

'deliberately inflammatory post on a bulletin board to provoke loads of people into writing angry or well-meaning replies to the amusement of the creator of the troll'

which sounds about right.

mr dannypoi gives the game away with the at the end. The first reply pointed out, then pretty much everyone else ignored it, and took the post at face value.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

KatBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,211 posts

Posted:
So you mean Dannypoi is not really a hairy monster who lives under bridges and tries to club people.

Gosh I don't know, this is all very confusing

- W B Yeats

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
Coleman, Actually I was just sad because I saw my friends being offended by someone's post.

I would hope that if people called my poi scene a 'load of shite', my friends would support me. Kat, There's a difference between posting a real critique and just something to get others bothered. And thanks for goddaming me. I haven't been goddamned all day.

I was surprised to see so much effort and hurt feelings by this post and that is the only reason why I posted.

And my friends know my real name and address. Thanks.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

Page: