Forums > Social Chat > The saddest moment in the history of movies

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
FyreBRONZE Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
I guess you already figured out the point of this thread, but for those who are a bit.... slow, here is THE rule:

Name the saddest moment you`ve seen in a movie.

I`d had to say it`s when Tom Hanks (in Cast away) loses Mr. Wilson in the middle of a sea (Mr. Wilson is the volleyball)

POSSIBLE ******SPOILERS********

EDITED_BY: Fyre (1143846655)

If we can`t live in peace then fu*k it, let`s die.
The owner of Chellybeans right arm!

Peace -Fyre-

Suibomaddict
577 posts

Posted:
When I was a child, there were some animated movies that would come on every once in a while that had a profound impact on me. Some I remember better than others. The ones that I largely remember were:

1. Little Mermaid (I think it was a French production, absolutely not Disney)

When the little mermaid decides not to kill the Prince out of love, letting herself die instead.. frown

https://hca.gilead.org.il/li_merma.html

2. The Happy Prince

When the swallow dies, and they melt down the statue and his heart cannot be melted, and they just chuck the dead bird and the heart in the trash frown

https://www.planetmonk.com/wilde/happyprince/happyprince.html

Very sad. I would love when these animated movies would show up... There was also The Snow Queen and Great Expectations. I don't know of too many folks who've seen or remember these old flicks.
EDITED_BY: Suibom (1143938349)

Definition of poi- A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.

Ahnold discussing poi - "It is naht a toober!"

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
Shamefully i cried at the end of Moulin Rouge, feel free to shun me! smile Also cry in Green Mile when Del dies and when John Coffey dies, soooo sad!

Armageddon also makes me weep a little smile

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

Hanzveteran
1,328 posts

Posted:
Jeff: you are so right with the death of Mufasa, and Beth, don't worry, I got teary too with Moulin Rouge... and I knew the ending! *grumbles about stupid people in class*

Patriarch917SILVER Member
I make my own people.
607 posts

Posted:
The end of Requiem for a Dream.

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
In Life is Beautiful, when the boys father is shot

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

BlayzeSILVER Member
Doesn't play well with others...
187 posts

Posted:
House of Sand and Fog...the last 1/2 hour or so.ubbcrying I won't say any more because you should all watch it! It's such a good movie (although definately not a 'feel good' movie).
...Armageddon still makes me weepy (and I've seen it about 4 times).

I smile because I have no idea what is going on...

PukSILVER Member
Sweet talented nutter
2,615 posts

Posted:
Forrest Gump
when forrest finally ends up with Jenny than she die's cause of aids

that shrewd and knavish sprite

Called Robin Good Fellow ; are you not he that is frighten of the maidens of the villagery - fairy

I am the merry wander of the night -puk

Ange_GSCGOLD Member
HOP's glowstick ambassador!!
128 posts

Posted:
October Sky -

When Homer has to drop out of school to work in the coal mines to support his family, He gets into the cage elevator to go down, looks up to the stars and sees sputnik streaking across the sky, and his dreams being lost forever.

And also at the end when they launch their last rocket, and Homers father actually comes and is given the honor to press the launch button. Then Homer's high school teacher who is dying in a hospital looks out the window to see the rocket shooting into the clouds.

Makes me cry every time.

Then of course theres the end to "Finding Neverland" quite the tear jerker as well

missegyptology: "I just remember beingall off balance and unicycling really fast down to campus and the arabic was all blurred on the page"

^When Linz pulls an all nighter before Arabic class^

ThumperabbitBRONZE Member
Zebberdy and Jack Daniels
278 posts

Posted:
I actualy cried when Trinity died in Matrix Revolutions. I thought it was really sad, Neo not being able to see his dying love.

The only reason i'm scared of little kid's is because I know in ten year's time they'll be mugging me.....

alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
i had a tear in my eye before at the end of leon............... i don't really want to spoil it for others but if you've seen it you'll understand what i mean biggrin

AsenaGOLD Member
What a Bummer
3,224 posts

Posted:
I cried at buffy once or twice... not actually a movie but o... I get to into it frown

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
I have no soul. I've only ever ciried once during a movie, and that was Armageddon, with that bit when he blows himeself up.

Ooo! And Deep Impact!

Hmmm... there seems to be a "large rock" pattern ermerging here...

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
The moment in Sophie's Choice when Sophie is forced to decide which of her children gets sent to the gas chambers (at Auschwitz). Meryl Streep's performance is amazing.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

BethMiss Whippy
1,262 posts

Posted:
*whispers* Titanic... *runs away*

Aim high and you'll know your limits, aim low and you'll never know how high you could have climbed.

NifeliumGOLD Member
journeyman
52 posts

Posted:
its not a sad ending by standeds but its definatly not a good ending.

requiem for a dream.(awesome movie)

LEAK SPIN

harasuSILVER Member
journeyman
51 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Point_Blank

In Life is Beautiful, when the boys father is shot

Bongiorno, principessa ... this one got me bad.

And the end of Leon.

And the end of V for Vendetta SPOILER -> when V dies

And the end of Big Blue SPOILER -> when Jacques goes "see the dolphins".

And in Dear Wendy, when the shooting begins.

And the end of Phantom of the Opera (he was soooooo looooneeelyyyy *sob sob sob*).

And, oh yeah, this one's peculiar: at Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy when Arthur is taken to the planet factory. No idea why. He cried, so I cried a little as well rolleyes

I'm a crybaby.
EDITED_BY: harasu (1218011006)

Commander Schutz: Strange, and I thought you were an Aryan.
Jewish Barber: No, I'm a vegetarian.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Life is Beautiful wins it for me...as much as I think it was a wonderful movie, it tore my heart out so badly I don't think I could watch it again even though I own the DVD!!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
The movie I last came to tears in was 'I Am Legend' when:
SPOILER: Sam was put down

That was the first that came to mind anyways - I've never seen Life is Beautiful.

Kupo!

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Suibom

1. Little Mermaid (I think it was a French production, absolutely not Disney)

That might have been the Hans Christian Anderson version...I remember seeing it when I was little...it had the original tale of the little mermaid's every step feeling like she was walking on glass...

I think the most recent movies that made me cry were two Aussie films...well, three, actually...
Black Water
Rabbit Proof Fence...and...
Walkabout

I'm noticing a trend towards the Aussie's liking to make us cry...

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Bernie_FlameSILVER Member
Poi junkie
75 posts

Posted:
Titanic gets me. I lost a partner in my early 20's; makes the film very painful to watch. Also, the part in the Green Mile where Percy stamps on the mouse.

man who go bed with itchy bum wake up with smelly finger!

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
I always cry when the phantom is singing to christine in his opera, he's pouring out his entire heart to her and he loves her so much. Every damn time that gets me.

FathomSILVER Member
103 posts

Posted:
My votes for Requiem for a Dream...

or in Tenchi: Universe when Ryoko "dies" near the end.

Kangaroo Island eh? I hear that place is really hopping!

NeeBRONZE Member
15 posts

Posted:
I am TERRIBLE, i cry at everything, especially after having a baby (I think it's hormonal. Either that or having a child just makes you hyper-sensitive and you appreciate the preciousness of life). I agree that dancer in the dark was just SO unsetting, though I watched it after we'd just put my cat to sleep so the whole execution thing REALLY got to me. Apart from that;

Donnie Darko (my favourite movie of all time)
Edward Scissorhands
Gandhi (though that was a true story so I don't know if it counts?)
House of flying daggers, randomly
AI (artificial intelligence)

I could go on forever, but one of the ultimate tear-jerkers for me is one I saw recently, 'Into The Wild' (also a true story). *SPOILER*
Seeing his terror when he realized he was going to die was just heartbreaking, then watching him suffer *cries*
The very last scenes really got me though, when he's just realized that his family is the most important thing to him and you see him imagining running into his parents arms, thinking (this isn't a word for word quote but you get the idea) "If I were there with you now, would you see what I see?"

Just

WAAAAAAHAHAHA!!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
I'm going to go for:

Life is Beautiful - pretty much the entire film frown

Pan's Labyrinth - I know the Guillermo del Toro said that she actually does go to the underworld, when I watched it for the first time - if you've seen it then you know what I mean - I read it totally differently frown frown frown

And American History X - Redemption followed by sacrifice - the wrong way round under normal curcumstances frown

I was crying like a baby at Shawshank and Green Mile and Titanic - but I didn't cry when Jack died - about f'in time IMHO but at the end when she died and joined them all under the sea...

Like a baby.

And here's me trying to be macho and everything...

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

NifeliumGOLD Member
journeyman
52 posts

Posted:
again not a sad ending. but...

if yourve ever seen invasion of the body snatchers.
at the end when you see the main protaganist walking in the street, then the chick runs up like "oh thank goodness your still alright" then he just does the alien scream. whole worlds ends up being doomed. did not expect the first time round.

LEAK SPIN

CalvinKlownEunathist
280 posts

Posted:
Has no-one seen The Killing Fields?
Dith Prahn's Escape from Vietnam through Cambodia?

Or the Raymond Briggs animation The Snowman?

Never lie down with someone who has more problems than you.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Into the Wild!

If you don't want to see the spoiler then don't highlight below!

Not necessarily the ending when he dies from the berry, the part that had me crying was when the old man was talking himself being the last of his family's name. When he asked about adopting him and seeing him cry just broke my heart. And later seeing the Father break down and cry got me a too

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
"breaking the waves"
disturbed me big time
I think I wept but I was so dazed afterwards that I don't even remembered what the movie was about frown:D

WiccanChicaThe wee little one on the block
147 posts

Posted:
I haven't ever really sobbed in a movie, but The Dead Poet's Society got to me, because I almost did that myself *not going to spoil* and the end got to me a little too, just made me want to salute. Its a beautiful movie ^_^

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a loser in aluminum foil.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
When ET goes home.

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

Page: