Forums > Social Discussion > Boy, 7 breaks into zoo and feeds anilmals to a croc.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
alien_oddityCarpal \'Tunnel
7,193 posts

Posted:
SYDNEY, Australia - A 7-year-old boy broke into a popular Outback zoo, fed a string of animals to the resident crocodile and bashed several lizards to death with a rock, the zoo's director said Friday.

The 30-minute rampage, caught on the zoo's security camera, happened early Wednesday after the boy jumped a security fence at the Alice Springs Reptile Center in central Australia, said zoo director Rex Neindorf.

The child then went on a killing spree, bashing three lizards to death with a rock, including the zoo's beloved, 20-year-old goanna, which he then fed to "Terry," an 11-foot, 440-pound saltwater crocodile, said Neindorf.
The boy also fed several live animals to Terry by throwing them over the two fences surrounding the crocodile's enclosure, at one point climbing over the outer fence to get closer to the giant reptile.

'Like he was playing a game'
In the footage, the boy's face remains largely blank, Neindorf said, adding: "It was like he was playing a game."

By the time he was done, 13 animals worth around $5,500 had been killed, including a turtle, bearded dragons and thorny devil lizards, Neindorf said. Although none were considered rare, some are difficult to replace, he said.

"We're horrified that anyone can do this and saddened by the age of the child," Neindorf said.

Lawsuit planned against boy's plans
Alice Springs police said they are unable to press charges against the boy because of his age. Children under age 10 can't be charged with criminal offenses in the Northern Territory. His name was not released because of his age.

Neindorf said he plans to sue the boy's parents.

The boy's small size is probably the reason he didn't trip the zoo's security system, which relies on sensors to detect intruders, Neindorf said.

"I just want people to learn that they can't let their children go and run amok," Neindorf said. "If we can't put the blame onto the child, then someone has to accept the responsibility."

https://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27005221/
------------------------------------------------------------------------
i don't know what to say..........HOW messed up in the head have you got to be to do something remotely like this?

HELL yes the parents should be responsible and YES i do think they should take the blame for their psycho child!!!

castrate them all so they can't pollute the rest of the future gene pool.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: StoutIMO running around with a pit bull ( yes an American Staffordshire Terrier ) is pretty the much the same thing as the open carry policy that some US states allow. The message here is "fear me, I'm badass" and anyone claiming that they "just happen too like the breed" is most likely just saying that as more of an excuse than anything else.

hmmmm - can't universally subscribe to that. When living in Venice Beach/ CA, I was friends with a guy who had a pitbull. Sure, the guy has been THE stereotype badass rocker... I mean, he's been tattooed all over, head to toe, he's been with the Hells Angels and sure as heck a few decades earlier I would not even have wasted a twinkle in the (bad) eye on him, scared of gettn the living crap beaten out of myself. But he's been in his late 60's, got his back broken in two places by motorcyle accidents, his heart torn apart in two divorces and he turned out to be the sweetest guy in tattoed skin I have personally met in my life.

Long story short: he got a pit bull and that dog has been just as sweet as him. The guy would never raise his hand to his dog ("never teach a dog fear" as he said) and the dog would have rather swallowed his own juice but left his side without his approval. He only put him on a leech when he really had to.

But that certainly is an exception that proved the rule.

hamamelis: yes I would. ppl raise kids in worse locations than jail. At least in jail you know what you (ain't) got.

Though I get your point with the DNA wink See I don't want to violently oppose zoos, I'm certain that for wildlife preservation there can be done a LOT - there can be National Parks (like the Kruger) - this is such a big planet, why can't we just make it a great place for every body? Without taking "freedom" away or at least create something that resembles that experience more than a mere 100sqm for a Cheetah [/hippy pipe dream?]

Hate to get misunderstood (on this one again) and I don't want to offend you(r profession) really... just for a sec try not to interpret the worst possible intent into my posts? .... pleeeeease ???

Same applies to Stone - just for a sec imagine that I'm NOT trying to offend everybody here...

thanks hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
hugI'm not getting mad at you, and I don'tfind your comments offensive- I just happen to be sharing a house with an anti-anyone-but-her-having-animals protestor, who goes entirely on anothropomorphism, and can't even see there *is* an argument(though she's really nice if you stay away from the topic) and I'm sort of.. not really able to express my views at home, or tell her what my old job was, 'cos the argument would get so big I'd probably have to find a new share house, which I can't afford.

I have a bit of a short fuse on the topic when I'm talking to anyone else as a result..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Poje

First of all, killing a Jack Russell Terrier is completly understandable.

Excuse me? Are you being serious or is that some form of sick joke?

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I get the tongue-in-cheek redface

Similar to saying killing a customer is completely understandable - they're both annoying things that yap at heels.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:

Originally Posted By: Fire Tom.....Same applies to Stone - just for a sec imagine that I'm NOT trying to offend everybody here...

Fire Tom, it’s pretty simple really. If you don’t want to be misunderstood, then don’t make provocative statements. This is especially important for someone who has a long history of criticizing Buddhists, Faith and Christians.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Then have it your way, Dude. You take offense more than I mean it, just because I dared to criticize your opinion on topics that you are sensitive on. You just appear to be stuck in the past when referring to my "long history" shrug enjoy

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Fire TomThen have it your way, Dude. You take offense more than I mean it, just because I dared to criticize your opinion on topics that you are sensitive on. You just appear to be stuck in the past when referring to my "long history" shrug enjoy

Fire Tom, I’m making a point of this because I don’t think I should have to walk around on egg shells every time I want to make a comment. I thought long and hard before I posted my comments to Stout, and they were not even remotely directed in your direction. Yet you chose to jump in when you could have ignored what I said all together.

You can’t claim to that your comments were not meant to be offensive, because in the same sentence you admit that you were being critical. Now, I don’t mind fair informed comments on any topic, but when it comes to Buddhism your comments appear biased and insensitive.

I think it is timely to remind us all, of the HoP Posting Guidelines:

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

_Aime_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,172 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Poje"A couple of weeks ago we had an incident where some guy shot a child's per Jack Russell terrier, no provocation, just hauled off and blasted it with a shotgun. According to media reports there's Facebook groups set up over this guy, and I've personally seen the rants section of craigslist dominated by all the vengeful things people wanted to do to this guy."
- Stout

First of all, killing a Jack Russell Terrier is completly understandable.

Secondly..is this zoo tape on youtube yet?

laugh3 laugh3

I'm not really sure where I stand on this one.

I remember when I was about 5 or so holding a newt by its neck inbetween some barbeque tongs until it died, and on the same day my little sister pulled several snails out of their shells. She ate one too. Then puked. Then I put the dead newt in the sick. Such angelic children.
Anyway, I think most children have done vile things to insects or animals when they were young. And as grim as it is, I think it is part of the learning process.

Oviously though the level of abuse this kid inflicted is alot worse than what the average kid would do, but people make mistakes, children even more so - especially when a bad upbringing is involved. Sometimes people forget that.

A terrible thing to have happend, but without knowing the boy, his parents, and the exact circumstances I cant comment. This is where the criminal psycologists come in.

Its their job to asses his behaviour. Not mine.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
clap nicely worded, Aimee smile

Originally Posted By: StoneHowever, what I d say is it’s difficult to establish accurate figures for a mobile population, given the current methods used by ABS to collect census data. A more realistic estimate, from the Desert Knowledge CRC, would be about 40%.

But you're ready to utter baseless accusations against a mobile population and ethnic minority - because even IF Aboriginals would make 40% of Alice's population, your claim's got a 60% chance to be incorrect - thus your comment could be considered a hate speech, subsequently violating the very guidelines you're quoting as to muffle me (which you repeated in response to my PM, by asking me not to post for a couple of days).

Sometimes I really wonder what is going on in your head confused2

Page: