Page: ...
StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi all, I was digging around Juggleart the other day, and I see they now have electroglow clubs for $75 aud ea. They are a juggling/swinging club and are listed under electoglow/clubs/item. If I get to Melb on the w/e, I'll check em out.

I also found this reference at Anna Jillings site: Australian Calisthenics Federation Manual. Club swinging section pp42-55, photos revised 1993. It might be worth a look.

Here is a bit from floating on quiddity via the HOP glossary: Tom Burrows wrote two books entitled "The Text Book of Club Swinging" and "Club Swinging as Applied to Health, Development, Training and Display" (1906). Charlie Holland mentions that they contain photo's and moves, such as "Two Simultaneous Three-Club Rolls" and "A Double Leg Glide"

Any thoughts on club rolls and leg glides? sounds like a raver talk (circa 1900!)

Catch ya

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
haha maybe its arashi's grandad? maybe he's a god too in all things spinny land?

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
hey extra waist wraps,

I doscovered this last week, is this the 4 beat ww yer on about.

Just put that extra twist into the ww the same sort of as the 5 beat wevae thingo you go on about on this website. anyway it looks pretty weird and can be done smoothly no bother.

I was at the scottish juggling convention this weekend doing some amusing club swinging, learnt some new snakes and weirdness and pendulums and on thing I noticed was that the traditional club swingers, like the ones who took it up as club swinging, not after doing poi are into many fabulous moves that poiers would die for but they never really do much cross follow stuff and I found myself teaching two excellent trad club swingers how to do BTB cross follow. Just goes to show eh? And I've found myself doing snakes with poi and fiery wings of death when I'm interested.

Tell me if any of you do club swinging minus fire so you can put two in one hand and do silly things with transitions placing them behind your neck or in your armpit or doing snakes or waistwraps with two held as one so they look like a staff etc? What about weeeird moves? So hard ro describe here, what about putting flourishes into club swinging and contact moves similar to some staff moves? Huge world of fun to be had. I've just been working on putting some of this swinging into my juggling. You can see that many things done with two clubs can be done effectively with three manipulated or juggled.

Hope to meet up with some of you club swinging folk out there some day...

Alas a club swinging friend here has onyl gone and tied handles to his aerotech p2s so they're now poi, alas!

Did any understand, already know about these weird transitions I mentioned?

Cheerio,

I

soup!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
quote:
Originally posted by Iandd:
Alas a club swinging friend here has onyl gone and tied handles to his aerotech p2s so they're now poi, alas!

be talking about Rob [mineiro], if so he got that idea from me last week lol

you totally gave me inspiration with clubs and my poi last week Ian. i'm looking forward to moving to edinburgh, for some real inspiration!
shame Rob didnt tell me about the convention else i would have found some money to go.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Motivating post landd, just at right time too, because my enthusiasm for clubs has waned a bit recently. I'm not that advanced, so I'll try to answer some of your questions. Help! Josh U out there???

I have never seen a club swinger, but I'm surprised that you say "traditional club swingers don't do much cross-follow stuff." I get my club info from a Scahtz; he was fairly traditional

All his more advanced moves (sans pendulums) likes snakes, spirals, spiral fountains and stuff are cross-follow combinations. So are these guys doing tricks (juggling/swinging combinations) or is there another genera of moves out there? I suppose the travelling snakes would be alternating opposite moves.

I think Scahtz calls the 4-beat the ww, the tangle, perhaps double tangle (I'm not up to getting into Schatz tonight). You can do them in front of the shoulder, at hip level and in combinations. with fountains, under over and stuff etcetc. I'm still learning the rev.

With the snake, the club handle is the centre of the circle, so they would be similar to poi isolations. Another move, I'm a bit shakey on

Haven't learnt any silly things with transitions. But suggest you check out the Gandini DVD, if you haven't already? I've only seen the samples at their site. You need to download a divX player to watch it. It is the same plugin (decompressor?) you need to view glasse's and PK's videos. Man, am I looking forward to my "morning coffee" tomorrow" (won't run on this puter).

Haven't' tried to hold two clubs in the one hand so they look like a staff, but I'll give it a go. Bit like two poi.

Don’t do any of those weird transitions yet, but now that you mention them, I'll look out for them. Though, I have seen jugglers do stuff like that.

Couple of quick questions. What pray tell, are "fiery wings of death" and wot are the "new snakes" Don't expect details, just a hint or concept would be terrific.

Have you read Schatz? Don't want to bang on about his book, but it is a excellent source.

Hey PK, how are your wrists going? Ade, Rozi, Coleman, you guys still swinging?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
Howdy,

good to hear responses, well, some new snakes for me, nothing spectacular, I'd just been amiss at learning decent snakes but had a good snake session last night due to being unable to move in the corridor of my flat. Fiery wings of death, well if you search this site you should find something, a picture of me at least. They are just very long wicks that are flexible but when you do wrap/ type snake things with them the burning bit is wrapping round you so looks quite groovy.

Transition, I'll give it a shot at describing it but:

hold yer clubs out to one side, swing down thru 180 degrees so one goes in front and one behind so the're now pointing t'other way, one in front and one behind. NOW, keep the hand behind the back still and swing the one in front down again so your arm catches the other club in yer armpit. So one club should bein your hand across your body and the other should be held in your armpit. Last stage, swap clubs with free hand grab the club that's in yer other hand and then drop your now free hand back to collect the armpit club, swing both down spin round do a litttle dance and do it on the other side, spinning round as a pendulum. If you followed that well done, imagine you all know it anyway.

What I mean about trad swingers is that they mainly use the plane aligned with your body not facing in front or behind that much and do loadsa opposite direction stuff and waistwraps, not so much in the way of interesting crossfollow.

Anyone do any slow/fast stuf with the clubs travelling at different speeds either following or opposite?

Cheerio,

I

soup!

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
been toying with my clubs now i have them back, wrist will allways be knackard though just like my back.

watched the gandini dvd at glass's yesterday, didnt think much to it to be honest, wouldnt buy it. i did clarify a few moves and beats in some of my poi moves but thats about it.
didnt like half the moves on it either, they were a little shabby and for gandini i would have expected better editing, decent moves, people that smile when they spin and what happened to transitions?.
i know they are glass's friends but from a technical point... dont waste your money, just download any free clips. though i did like the choreographed performance routines.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
hey stone. my clubs have been on a fair sabbatical of late due to lack of swinging space but i have me clubs with me tonight and space to use them once again so its back to work on the btb waistwraps. roll on (the newly rebranded) 'summer of clubs and staff'.

iandd - i've been playing a little with varying speed moves (both cross-follow and opposites) but only with poi. i don't have much at the moment though and only one decent move/transition with two-to-one circles in it. any suggestions greatly recieved...

for someone that has no-one to learn club-swinging from on a regular basis (like moi) the gandini video is very handy. if you can do all the stuff on it with poi already then its kinda basic and beside the point.
its very lethargic in its explanation of the moves and, like pk said, it spends too little time on transitions - the only decent examples really being full combos of reels and full combos of varying size circles.
having said that, without it, i'd have found it twice as hard to learn what little i now do about how to swing clubs - its the beginner's choice

[ 19. February 2003, 06:08: Message edited by: coleman ]

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I'm not sure about these 'wierd' transitions ...however I'm sure there is a huge number of them - Clubs is good.

Look forward to meeting you Ian, when Katinca and I make it up to Scotland in a few months time.

Josh

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
landd, what can I say? That transition description, is a worthy club description. This is probably off the mark, but it reminds me of that "swing thing" mentioned earlier, except you place a club in the armpit. I'm really just a beginner, though since your post I've started exploring the armpit Like when you juggle 3-ball and you put a ball on your head, instead you can stick a club under your armpit. I'd never think of things like that Like Josh said there are so many variations.

I'd say that was a pretty fair critique of the dvd PK. Though, I'll still buy it when I get chance, and a visa card. This is just a thought, but have you ever though of trying one of adam rice's wrist type harness with an areoteck type club?

Coleman, I've been resting my wrists lately. Actualy, I've been flicking through the poi-spinning book and learning the basics, again! But, I'm moving to the "big smoke" soon and I'm looking forward to a great autumn season.

Josh was that you tossing doubles on morning coffee? Look pretty good. landd mentioned holding two clubs "staff like" in one hand. Think I'll try double staff as a compromise, to start with.

Catch ya round

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
cheers stone,
i like the look of the wrist straps, my clubs have double finger loops, but the wrist straps would be of no use to me as i spin from the finger tips, i use the momentum of the clubs/poi to keep them on my fingers without really physically holding them, or having staps right at the base of my fingers. makes these waist wraps a damn lot easier.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yar that was me a bit jittery on the night in front of soo many talented peeps!

Josh

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
Any of you lot know about Beltane in edinburgh?

We just had Imbolc here, one of the smaller quarter festivals and the reason why I mention it is that myself and Rob (mineiro) did some amazing aerotech club swinging. This consisted of directed the procession of characters and drummers in an air traffic control stylee, any real moves absolutely forbidden, we were jestahs. That's a good use of six hundred quids worth of juggling toy.

Anyone around for beltane?

soup!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hehe

much fun was had.....

stone it might have been me....unfotunately we only had about 3 mins of josh and loads of me so if you tell me a time on the vid i will be able to tell you...

R

ps would fully recommend beltane to all, i will post info on it in events when i know more

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:

oh hello peaple!

Imma gonna be beltain, just you see iffa dont...

hi Ian, that is a good use of areotachs, thought about wrapping them in cellophane and making a modern light fixture?

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the offer Rob, but no problem. Though, I’d be interested to know who was doing the doubles “buzzsaw?” at ~ 1:27 min into the video. Thought there was some great stuff on morning coffee, with all the usual Stars.

Much anticipation waiting to see the other vids, with clubs I’m told, but I’ll wait until you get em on the tepooka site. Nix, all welcome here I won’t be at HoP, much for a while as I’m moving and stuff. Catch ewes later

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
that would be the lovely bambam....

there's a bit of clubswinging in rubbish, but i've been doing some interesting stuff in the last week or two, ian also, so next one i do will have some more....

adeus
R

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
ian is also in rubbish.
kick robs ass man he forgot about you.

beltaine i shall be there sticks in hand and rob as my poodle.

Ianddmember
39 posts

Posted:
uh oh gettingknown, better stop writng things here. How can we meet up for some club swinging action without silly little wannbe poi handles? I know! British juggling convention 2003 in brighton? Anyone coming to this?

Still think traffic control is a good use for the aerotechs cos they are just rubbish

soup!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
yep - Kate and I will be there I reckon

Josh

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
erm another clubs move I thought of the other day while stuffing round with the butterfly waist wrap?

Well you do the BTB butterfly, push it to one side in front - but instead of doing a butterfly in front, take the top club up and around the arm for a swing behind. While doing that the bottom club does the normal waist wrap circle in front. They should cross level with your hip after one turn each. Then you swap to the other side, obviously using the opposite hand on top.

Gets a neato diagonal pattern when you get it right.

I'm thinking theres room for a snake on the top hand, but I think you would have to do something very tricky with the bottom hand to make up the revs that the snake needs to finish before swapping back.

Perhaps a throw to a neck roll? I'm thinking out loud here...

Anyhow - I've not seen anyone else do it cept me in the mirror, so I thought it worth sharing?

Josh

[ 12. March 2003, 05:54: Message edited by: [Josh] ]

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Chalk up another newbie club swinger to the list

I've finally decided that the clubs I've had sat in my room for a few years are never actually going to get used for juggling, so I might as well learn to spin them and try to get some flexibility back into my wrists.

I've just ordered the Richter and Schatz books but they're not going to be here for a couple of weeks - any hints 'till then?

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
I cant believe I post a new clubs move and nobody even credits me with a

"Yeah sure, but Suchandsuch has been doing that for ages"

type comment...oh well

I have another move for you clubs swingers, I thought of it while mucking about in The Wondelpark in Amsterdam on the weekend...

While doing a giant butterfly, alternate back crosses up between the closing gaps between your upper arm and your body..

Its a bit like a Ben Richter 'Swing Thing' but done in wall plane, and done in butterfly mode rather than cross follow mode.

Josh

[ 02. April 2003, 10:34: Message edited by: [Josh] ]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi clubbers, still swinging?

It must have been fate, but I piked up some “callisthenics” clubs for like 5 bucks at a market. They are light, petite and great fun to swing. I was really surprised by how effective they are, because they seem to tweak all the small muscles, which enables you to really work on your technique, especially with the snakes. Well worth a try

Learnt heaps of stuff at the Easter Confest (alternative lifestyle festival). There was lot’s of fantastic drumming, and by the end of the festival the drummers were locked into a particular drumming pattern; not a bad thing as I was locked into a poi pattern. Anyhow, I would call it a “running man” type beat and it was in 7/8 time. This was a surprise, as I though a lot of this stuff was in 4/4. Apparently 7/8 is a traditional dancing tempo (if that is the right word). To arrange to music, Mr Schatz recommends, that exercises to consist of eight counts.

Josh, thank for the moves. I don’t have regular net access now and I haven’t cracked the waist wrap b/f, but that first move sounds a bit like an alternating b/f and taking the club/poi up high. I’m still trying to get an upper b/f fountain that looks good.

Here is one of Mr Schatz moves that I plagiarise into a lot different combos (description P. 80, fig P. 105). Catch clubs in snake grip for the inward shoulder snake. Then you sweep the clubs (down) with the long axis, handle leading, then up for a circle (basically an inward half snake in front with a big sweep). With the sweep, the end of club points out sideways and then up at 90 degrees). Continue the sweep into a regular reverse hip snake, and throw off behind the hip. Catch in the snake grip, and as the clubs sweep outward they pass in front of the hip to the throw-off or repeat. Do it slowly, you can use hip circles instead of the hip snakes to get started. The clubs cross twice in front and once behind the body. Hope this one makes sense.

Anyone like to explain the split-shift?

Cheers for now

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
full body snakes
Josh, I've got to talk to you about the steve videos soon. PM's
Life still crazy for 2 more weeks.
day 2 of 5 day workshop with Kati/gandini and maksim juggling and manipulation and dance and siteswap. Gandini taught me 711 711 333. Anyway you know the video/DVD.
Mind leaking and overflowing balls and limbs going everywhere.
I'm going to have to really learn snakes soon.

er, better put this on topic. 1 club
Learn to spin a club horizontal continuous on the top of your fingers hand like your feeding a donkey, but wrapping club round index finger then big finger like pen spinning.
Now do a forward roll

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
Full body snakes are one of the most impressive moves I've seen this year. Take snakes, which are cool, and add some extra Phattness. Schatz has em in there, I really have to buy that book sometime

Seeya in about a month Glass, your floor has my name on it. there will be much video trading and joy all round

Josh

NYCNYC
9,232 posts

Posted:
WOW!

What a great thread! (I'd never really ventured over to 'other toys' before...)

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread!

I was thinking about thinking about club twirling today (never really gave it much thought before) and got all of my questions answered and even some that I didn't know I had. If I do ever seriously pick them up I'll most definitely have some fantastic resources right here!

God bless the internet and HoP.

Well, shall we go?
Yes, let's go.
[They do not move.]

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Hi NYC, welcome to the world of club swingers, and real old skool phys ed. (circa 1900) Just ask if you have any questions.

Glass, the snakes really are worth learning, though I suspect you probably know most of them from your staff/poi experience, even if you don’t know them as snakes per se. Thanks for tip on feeding donkeys. The only roll I do, is the where I roll the club around my thumb. Not very imaginative, I know. So, I’ll try some horizontal rolls and finger spins over winter

Josh, there are a few of those sweep/full body snake moves in Schatz’s book, along with spirals and a heap of other great moves, and all for under 10 bucks. Happy Travelling

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
A few more thoughts for anyone interested in learning clubs.

Clubs teach great technique, and not just the fancy wristy snake stuff, but also long arm circles, forward and backstroke etc. Which are the basics, and fairly easy to master. Like I’ve seen a few really great poiers ruin otherwise excellent routines because they get noticeably apprehensive when they go overhead, or do long arm stuff.

Transition: A good vertical to horizontal move is to sweep an outward shoulder snake above the head, instead of throwing off. Like, take the club above the head after completing the first circle behind the shoulder. This also works for poi and staff, and is a bit like the staff move where you go from a rotor to a helicopter in one motion.

colemanSILVER Member
big and good and broken
7,330 posts

Posted:
mmmmmm, snakes

had a lovely weekend with exam revision sun and me clubs

mostly juggled but i also worked out how to put shoulder snakes in with reels. super basic but it feels great!

"i see you at 'dis cafe.
i come to 'dis cafe quite a lot myself.
they do porridge."
- tim westwood

Page: ...