Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Rightyho and off we go.

i managed to steal a rather nice contact staff off some manky kid that was using it to chase and hit other kids across a field with...so i walked up to him, grabbed the staff and walked off. At this point you are probably horrified that i stole a nice contact staff of a poor defenceless child- fear not..he was not defenseless (he had vry bad breath), it was not actually a contact staff, but more of a nice round stick..well not stick in terms...more of a pole, wooden in contsruction if my Design and technology GCSE serves me correctly.

the problem is that it is rather warped...any ideas how to straighten it out?

at the moment its floating in my bath..

any other ideas?

its about 4 foot 9 or 10 inches long and i think is made of pine.

anyhelpgivenisgreatlynoted...oh,itapearsthatmyspacebarisntworkinganymore oh wait...false alarm..its working again.

GlÄssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
pine = crappy softwood not good for staff.
or
Don't try to straighten it.
jedi secret....
Bent staff is easier for a lot of contact tricks

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
heh wooden poles aren't so rare you have to expend any effort stealing it from kids and trying to straighten it.

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
I don't know sheeeite about staff, but you can get a length of 1.5inch diameter dowel from B&Q which would be a lot easier..a lot straighter...and maybe not as scary to aforementioned juvenile

I have to resist starting staff at the mo
I keep trying it with my devil stick as an intro type thingummy, but I seem to becoming a jack of all and master of none

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
with the key word here being 'money'...as in I have none...im out of a job until end of june..possibly longer if they dont want me back..no current income..and i owe my parents quite a bit as well....

its soaking at the moment.....any ideas for how long it has to soak for?

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
Man..seriously, it'll only cost you a few quid I reckon. Spin on the street for the money

I think I'm gonna commandere my pap to turn some stuff for me....he's a bit handy like that

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
*sticks grow on trees you know*

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
umm...You mean you saw a kid with a stick beating up other kids and so that allows you to steal something that might belong to him/her??

I have to admit I'm not very confortable with that whole scenario.

Sure, confiscating the stick may have prevented further bullying, but what lesson do you think you taught this bully?

That if someone smaller than you has something you want, you can just take it off them?

I know I'm the 'old crusty' of HoP, but lets hope that karma isn't working around UCOF, otherwise that staff might smack him upside of the head and not let him get up again...

[ 24. May 2003, 16:55: Message edited by: Charles (INFERNO) ]

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

SmallBoy - xCarpal \'Tunnel
2,737 posts

Posted:
Ahhhh, so justice would have been hitting the kid with the stick and then giving it back

Jon, get a broom stick, some metally tubey stuff and I'll give you some wick to screw to it.

And let Charles have the stick so he can chase kids with it
(Sorry Charles )

Small Lardy Person In Disguise

dromepixieveteran
1,463 posts

Posted:
This thread is too funny man! i have missed the great variety of individual opinions this site has to offer!

I must say that charles has a point but man you dont know little english rude boys man! The can be little sods! So its kinda justifiable to take the stick off him especially if UCOF can use it and say look kid this is how its done man! No good beating your mates!

Wahoo! Staff is fun!

hugs
drome

JUGGLEwithyourmind!

[Nx?]BRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,749 posts

Posted:
youll never unbend it, soaking will make it worse, use it and abuse it, gloass is right, a bety stick is good for a lot of stuff (just not armrolls, Genius!) and otherwise use stick to treaten martial arts shop for better stick (maybe not so good an idea, humm)

if its reall wasted, use it to wack bushes and stuff.

N

This is a post by tom, all spelling is deleberate
-><- Kallisti

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
thats very very odd....its totally straight now....AND it had been soaking in the bath for 2 days now.

Now i all have to do is get it to dry out totally then straight and then when i see you next, i can put 2 fingers up and say FARK YOU! hahahaha!

(i bet it dries wonkey now...bloody typical...just my luck)

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
I don't see anything wrong with taking the stick off him, just in actually keeping it!

Taking it off him and asking him to play nicely won't change his attitude, but it will show him that at least some other people won't put up with his cr*p, and explain to him the person's motiviation for removing the stick form his posession.

Keeping the stick takes it from a reasonable, if forceful act straight to an actual crime of theft!

I'm sorry but in my old doddering opinion, there is no excuse for stealing. EVER!

In my opinion.

As usual.

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Im going to give it back to him!

well...sometime before I die./..so theres nno problem in that!

I hereby promise that i will give the manky little smelly urchin back his pole sometime before I die.

Hows that?

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
Well...no, not really.

(looks embarassed now that a sopabox has materialised underneath him an deveryone is looking)

The following is all in my opinion...

There's not really anyway of making it better now. In my view of the world, you've stolen something off a kid, albiet in circumstances that make it more socially acceptable than other circumstances. But it's still theft.

No-one can take back their actions once they've been done. Which is a great thing, it means Ghandi and Mother Teresa can't take back all the good they've done as well anything they regret.

The thing to do now (in my opinion) is to reflect on the situation and realise that what you did was wrong on a number of levels. The opening post seems to me that you were proud of your actions, and perhaps that was why I've reacted so strongly.

And, of course, try no to do the same thing in the future, and, maybe, do a few good deeds just for the hell of it.

Now I feel like I'm some sort of moralistic prick so I'm going to go and reflect on what I've done to your thread, and hopefully not do the same in the future...

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
*runs in and starts sanding the sharp edges off Charles soapbox*

leave the kid with the big stick who's hitting other kids with it.

as far as i'm concerned morality is a function of society. as long as people say something is ok, then morally it is ok.

(the only tenable ethical position for an atheist i'd say)

personally i'd agree with jon's actions. i doubt the stick was a treasured possession of the thuglet he nicked it off. most likely he'd just picked it up. either that or he regularly carries it about to whomp kids with. so either way i say yay jon.

which in a society of two (me and jon) puts jon very firmly in the moral right.

so there

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

simian110% MONKEY EVERY TIME ALL THE TIME JUST CANT STOP THE MONKEY
3,149 posts

Posted:
and it doesn't really matter what we do with this thread now, seeing as jons stick is now mysteriously straightened.

its a miracle! the good lord showing his approval of jons actions! you see, god agrees with me. not the bit about him not existing but the other stuff.

"Switching between different kinds of chuu chuu sometimes gives this "urgh wtf?" effect because it's giving people the phi phenomenon."

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
So charles is it wrong when teachers confiscate possesions of kids because they are being little bastards and abuseing them? Or when a cop confiscates your car because you have a problem running over nuns with it? I think there are situations where confiscation is moral, even if your not an official authority figure.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
2-1! 2-1! 2-1!

as of this moment...i am taking the moral highground.

falloutboySILVER Member
remember
433 posts

Posted:
I was going to say something very similar to that which Astar already stated above - about police confiscating weapons etc. Which would've put me on Jon's side, making it 3-1!

BUT,

Charles does have a few good points, I escpecially like the bit regarding trying to right a wrong, and that is is somewhat impossible. The moment has existed, all you can really do is learn from it.
Soooooo in conclusion.. umm.. life confuses me.

Put me on the fence for the time-being.

-As angels debate chance and fate-
i was riding through melbourne on a midget giraffe, things were peachy.

KajiQuantum Theorist
564 posts

Posted:
I would have taken the stick and asked the stupid lad if he liked being hit my the stick. Then hit him repetedly until he decided that he didn't like it. Then hit him again for good measure. Then I'd hand the stick back to him or place it on top of his bruised bloody body (whichever is the case). I think the punishment should suit the crime. In short I agree with UCOF (Except that he has a strange like of a garage band, the streets. When they only have one good song).

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird, now the world is weird and they take prozac to make it normal again.

CharlesBRONZE Member
3,989 posts

Posted:
wow! what a thread...I'd like to start a brand new one but i think the informastion in thsi one is pretty relevant and might get jumbled if I copied ai t all into a new one.

(once again all this is IN MY OPINION)

Ok, Simian, Whether or not something is a treasured possession should have no bearing on whether or not you should steal it. I'm kinda confused that this issue even came up.

Astar - If the cop confiscates a car, and then drives it around, using it as their own personal vehicle, or, in that matter, even if they use it as a cop car, then the confiscation is completely inappropriate. A confiscation has nothing to do with material gain for the confiscator, but with other issues. As i said, the taking of the stick was not what worried me, but the almost pleased manner in which it was gleefully kept for personal use.

As for the moral highground, I guess i'm lying in th editch at th ebottom after being shoved off by and enthusiastic UCOF waving astolen stick around

(oops, that is meant to happy non-nasty saracsm, sorry it it doesn't sound that way)

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Dj...the Streets are not a garage band...is a dancy/ street lyric spittin tingy my jig with bells on.

But the streets are the topic of thsi thread..

my bent crookery is...

or...indeed....my bent staff is...

or...indeed...how it is now not after it has probably dred out totaly (i havewnt been home for 24 hours so im only guessing)

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
way to go Jon,

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
The cops do auction of some stolen goods when they can't find the owners.

Also the DARE (I think)program in the US confiscated espensive cars from drug dealers such as lamborghinis's and they painted them up like police cars, mounted sirens and lights and paraded them around schools to show children that they were winning the drug war and that drug dealers don't win (I think it glorified drug dealing and did the exact opposite)

Non-Https Image Link

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
Bet the stick warped when it dried.
Stealing is just vilified sharing. Do away with your dreadful misconceptions of property. Plus we where lucky our ancestors stole a loaf of bread and we got an entire country.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
well actually...it very straight....lik...um...errr..... a very straight thing indeed....

so there...

Dark Pixiemember
47 posts

Posted:
On the Moral Tone of this thread; did the kid appear to be upset at all that you took his stick?
If he didn't, I'm sure that he has forgotten about it by now, and won't be too concerned if you have iton 'permanent loan'

Roman candles that burn in the night, yeah you are a shining light

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
Well I underestimated the power of pine, not only does it keep you bathroom fresh it straightens on demand. Just remember this stick is to be used for the good of all humanity. Not to be built into podiums of a soap like nature, save wood for the tree's! Boxes are only for the short. Ha ha mindless drivel from me again.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
right...just taken the STAFF from its resting position...

bad news...it still bent

GOOD NEWS (hoorar!)...its a lot less bent then what is is (is less bent even gramatically correct?)

so yeh...its all good...now...to change the topic..

can anyone think of a spray i can use to spray the staff with all the way down and make it,...um...ahhh....erm....grippy?

is there a silicon spray i can buy from anywhere?

what i want is like the grip on devil stick um...hitty thingies..

any ideas?

Bram....member
1,551 posts

Posted:
try gluing sand paper on it

You. Its whats for dinner!

As time passes, you realise all the mistakes you amde and the ones you wish you never did make.

The wave crashing on the beach

Page: