Page:
mycoBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
2,084 posts

Posted:
I hope people don't mind me starting a new thread even though I never really post anymore, but I've been thinking a lot about blood donation lately. I'm currently working in a chemotherapy unit, and a lot of our patients require blood transfusions from time to time. However, lately the blood bank has had such shortages that we've been having to knock people back because there simply isn't enough blood available. Being the end of winter here, stocks get low since many people who would otherwise be able to donate can't due to recent colds/flus.

In the past week we've had to tell 3 people that they 'aren't anaemic enough' for us to transfuse them, and we even had a delivery of blood that wasn't compatible with the patients blood group (he was O-, which is the most useful blood group as anyone can receive it therefore it's in high demand, and the blood he was given was O+, so it was positive for antigens that his body sees as foreign). When we rang the blood bank to see why this has happened and whether it would be safe to give, we were told that as he was over 70 and had cancer they were comfortable taking the risk of providing blood that wasn't ideal for him to be having, but should be okay. Needless to say we kept a very close eye on him, and luckily all went smoothly.

Okay, so the main reason for this post is to encourage people to check whether they are eligible to give blood, and if so to do something about it (in as friendly and non pushy a way as possible wink ) Here's a link to the blood bank's eligibility quiz. I'm based in Australia, so this prompt is intended for Australians, but it's pretty much needed worldwide.

It's amazing how many people aren't eligible to give blood, and so many different reasons, some being very controversial (I'm thinking male to male sexual contact in particular). In a discussion at work it turned out that out of the 5 of us chatting, I was the only one eligible.

Sorry for such a long post, for anyone who just skimmed it I'll just sum it up by saying go give blood cos they give you free biscuits and lollies grin

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
@ Skully: what did you do wrong?
With me, my iron-level and my tattoos are all wrong.

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

Page: