Forums > Meet Others > Studying in AU/NZ for a year - Where to Go?

Login/Join to Participate

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
welcome to HoP, jess... I think you've already come to the most important conclusion you could have; brissie is where it's at, for sure.

now, you shouldn't think I'm biased just because I live here; I'm biased because brissie rocks; and yes, we are rather blessed with quite a large and very talented spinning community.

never been to nz, but you'd want to get down to HoP HQ while you've there and say hello to the wonderful people that are bringing us all together, here.

also, somewhere along the way between nz and brissie, melbourne has an active spinning/juggling/fire scene, also.

that's a start, but for as many people as there are here, you'll find as many opinions...

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
use this to find people

tassie is a lovely island, you should come check it out! (i'm not biased, honest!) grin

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Jessi_kittyWhat kind of community does Brissie (I love that nickname btw) have? Are there weekly meetings?

And since you do happen to live there, how easily would you say it would be to get an apartment? Any ideas on prices?

Sorry for the slew of questions, but when one proposes moving to a new city/country, there are some questions. smile

Appreciate the advice. I'll check out Melbourne. Do you have any idea of who I could contact down there?

Brisbane has a very active community, and we tend to get alot of people passing through as well. Every monday night there is Jugglejam at southbank piazza. There are quite a few fire events all over the place, and plenty of people always keen to get together for a spin anyway. If you head to Jugglejam and ask around i'm sure someone will be able to help. Plenty of gatherings get put up in the events section on here as well.

For housing prices have a look on here, if you need more info on suburbs etc... feel free to flick me a pm and i'll see if i can help.

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
You should try to make
Common Ground - adelaide
Spun Out - Perth
UberOz - Brisbane

.. and I'm sure many more!

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I can highly recommend Brisbane: Large and friendly fire spinning community up there.

Melbourne is also a great place to visit to, and just happens to be where I live smile

hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Brisbane is probably your pick for a twirling community. But if you want umm... insane skillz and dashing good looks you can't look past the fine city of Melbourne... Can you Brenn?

hug

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I am living in North of NZ teaching Community Circus
Theres a great scene for Fire in Auckland (see events) aswell as other cities such as Rotorua, Wellington, Tauranga
Small scenes/Troupes in South Island - Queenstown, Dunedin, Christchurch (aswell as Circus school)
I have contacts in all those places if you need.
I havent yet been able to connect with the indiginous Maori population of spinners - which isnt so Fire orientated
Good luck in your travels - make sure you make it to NZ - its VERY different to Oz and has its own lovely feel and history to its spinning
PM me if you need

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Jessi_kittyFrom what it sounds like, I made a good choice on Brisbane. But Melbourne does sound like it has some reasons to visit. tongue2

Brisbane is an excellent place to start smile Large, friendly community. However around this time of year there are several festivals occurring around the Victoria and South Australia areas such as the Melbourne Juggling Convention, Common Ground (Adelaide) and there may be an equivalent Uberoz festival running next year in either Sydney or Melbourne, though don't hold me to that just yet.

If you are after exposure to styles other than poi I can speak highly of Melbourne's diversity. Whips, fans, flags, swords, meteors, rope dart make an appearance at the meets here in Melbourne in addition to Poi smile

hug
EDITED_BY: Brenn (1223961392)

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
syyydney! syyyyyydney! syyyyyyyydney!! yep, sydney represent.

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Jessi_kitty

natasqi, do you know how easy it is to get into the workshops you mentioned? Is it a simple matter of getting on the proper website to register?

They're basically, Pay, Turn up. smile Sell out in MONTHS I'd say... smile

mentalyconfusedBRONZE Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
There are lots of twirlers out in WA, especially Perth and Freo, but also check out Broome too. I'm heading down the East Coast right now, also looking for twirlers in Cairns but also everywhere on the way down too. Maybe we could meet up?

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyplace can be a fireplace, you just need to be persistant enough.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Yeah, lots of spinners in WA smile And we're very welcoming!

What is your plan/timetable so far?

mentalyconfusedBRONZE Member
stranger
9 posts

Posted:
Right now I'm doing some touring to Cape Trib, than I'll be heading down, aiming for Brisbane in 2 or 3 weeks, but not really sure yet, there's alot between here and there.

I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

Anyplace can be a fireplace, you just need to be persistant enough.

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Jessi_kittyFirenix,

is there any particular reason as to why you haven't been able to connect with the Maoris? Just wondering since I'm aiming to try and learn some traditional and would like to know how best to go about that.

Thanks for the city suggestions!

When your in New Zealand check out the kapahaka groups, ...tell them that you would love to learn tradtional spinning and ask if they would please teach you. Im sure a few will be more than happy to help out... kapahaka is a preformace group and the females are the only ones that do traditional poi.
Ill teach you what I know re maori culture when you to to brissie, cause it rocks here!!

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: natasqiYou should try to make
Common Ground - adelaide
Spun Out - Perth
UberOz - Brisbane

These events only happen once a year. They are not weekly or anything! There have been 3 UberOz in Brisbane, but I am not guaranteeing to do any more.... Common Ground was in early October. Spun out is not till next year. So I wouldn;t move to a place just for them!

I am always a bit nervous when people say how great the Brissy scene is! I mean, there are some great people here, but its not like there's 100s of people at Juggle Jam or anything! Its cool at the moment though cos there's lots of people starting to come through for Woodford smile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
gabe brisbane IS awesome. its exactly the right mix of awesome, friendship, and skills.
why do you think i keep coming back? grin

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
pffft... the question isn't why do you keep coming back to brisbane... the question is why do you keep going back to sydney...? shrug

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

BasstonesGOLD Member
Do you do the poiz?
530 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Pogo69pffft... the question isn't why do you keep coming back to brisbane... the question is why do you keep going back to sydney...? shrug clap laugh3

"In the end there is only fire and a waterfall"

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yeah, Ok. white Sun's out. Loads of great people around. Trees glistening. Pool's sparkling. Life's good. Went to Juggle Jam on Monday, Milton firespin last night, getting loads of cheap excellent fuel straight from the supplier today, some cool kids doing a circus show tomorrow night. Beachcamping at Straddie on the weekend. Woodford next week. Yeah, Ok. white Brisbane's alright wink

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
old old old old old

'FREE HUGGIES!!'

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Jessi_kittyWow! .. the housing is the big question for me. I've done the hostel thing but I'd prefer to have a solid housing situation. Moving around makes that difficult. How is the housing situation down there? How easy is it to find a place to stay, either with flatmates, a family, or alone? Any recommendations?

There is loads of share housing in Brisbane, but it is no a longer cheap city. (All those southerners coming up, eh Ciara!) Lots of students etc. Expect to pay at least $100 a week for basic room in a share house. More usually sround $150. There are websites like gumtree that often have short term rents.