Page:
duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
Hi poiple,

Third Teaser: "Work In Progress"

GeekBlog - 11/07/2009

Hey again,

ok it's time to come clear concerning the documentary. I am, to say the least, quite ashamed to have made so many promises that I was not able to keep. I deeply apologize for that.

My mind has been busy a lot. I had huge problems approaching the pile of footage that accumulated and I would like to blame this mental block on my own expectations, worries of what you may think and my laziness. There have been a few projects that I considered a lot 'easier' such as the Berlin Spinning video or the KidPoi DVD that we are currently doing. The latter is a coproduction of Alan Blim from the Jonglierkatakomben, LOOOOP (that Berlin partnerpoi crew) and me. Editing is complete, we are currently recording voice overs, the music and it's gonna be worth watching I suppose.

Anyways I think I exaggerated the whole "promo" and "teaser" thing quite a bit and again I apologize for that. I have now found a way to tell the story that I would really like to tell and it's not going to be a documentary like you would see it on telly, meaning 40 minutes straight about something. I decided to not even try to make any money on this but to release episodes, meaning 5 to 10 minutes clips on youtube free for all. This takes away a lot of the pressure that kept me from sorting things out for so long. After all Poi is my passion and most beloved hobby and I don't want to make it something 'pro' in the sense of having to earn money with it.

Enough of me babbling around, I will announce the release date for the first episode now: January the 10th. Please do me a favor and kick my ass from time to time if you really want to see this stuff. Procrastination sucks.

Kudos again to all of you who have helped me so much during the creation of this project!!!

Max

Oh and by the way if you feel like slapping me now don't bother, Thomas has done that for you a long time ago wink

Non-Https Image Link

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
but if not, theres always someone with spare space/tent

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

248 posts

Posted:
minor update with current state of production
(*shh.. early teaser coming in two weeks time smile)

ThaiTomSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
two forward ; three backward

LENIN TANGO

cheers TT ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile ubbrollsmile

248 posts

Posted:
It's teaser-time

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
EJC? umm wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

248 posts

Posted:
hell yeah biggrin

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
Duvan, pleasure to meet you and I see youn again the day after tomorow, EJC! :P

//Thomas

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
please dont take this the wrong way, but I think it would be interesting if you told the story that we didn't all know already - that of what was influencing and happening in the fire spinning world before HOP brought us together?

In that whole list of recommendations I think there was only 2 or 3 people I havent seen a video of or met IRT. and of those only one I've not heard of before.

While its easy for many people to forget, there were people doing poi and staff years before 90% of the gods listed here started. I'd be really interested in the story of the people in the generation before the one I'm already familiar with...or even before that.

Eg Robert Heart etc etc. (yeah I'm serious!) smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
PS and I think PrickyLeaf has some awesome points that could be investigated about gender, and the influence of fashion in spinning style over participation / inspiration / dedication by gender. Cuz I've certainly noticed that the shift to high tech spinning in the last ...oh 5 to 7 years has certainly left more than a few oldsckool girl spinners sitting on the bench feeling uninspired.

--

248 posts

Posted:
hey all,

thanks for the EJC and stuff; although I didn't really "enjoy" it as much as I would have wanted to I really loved it. I just realized the past few days that shooting a documentary doesnt go very well with partying/spinning/relaxing all day long biggrin
but I got soooo much of nice footage and I really wanna thank you all for the amazing time.

@pyro
thanks for your input. I have to say though that it comes very late. since I am currently shooting it is almost impossible to change the concept. all I can promise you though is that what you will see from the more recent "gods" will differ completely from what you know so far. no more words about that, be surprised as soon as the film is finished wink
as for prickyleaf's comment: she has definitiely got a point with what she said and I will investigate this issue in a more detailed manner.

PS: Buy drew's book! It really is [censored] amazing smile

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
RE Drews book: yeah I bought it already! smile

RE surprises - that's a big call Duvan, I'll wait in anticipation I guess!

Josh

--

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
ya welcome back from EJC, Duvan smile I believe they didn't plan for an 'official' dvd filming there so it's excellent you've got some poi footage. And footage of other stuff too perhaps. From reading the EJC thread 's been tons of amazing stuff eh.

Where are you going between now and UberOz3? Bornfire?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
 Written by

Pyrolific: I've certainly noticed that the shift to high tech spinning in the last ...oh 5 to 7 years has certainly left more than a few oldsckool girl spinners sitting on the bench feeling uninspired.

I think there is comming a time that will be interesting for both sides.

I believe,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

248 posts

Posted:
@gabe: I got lots of poi & fireshow footage but hardly any other stuff. I thought about filming all the amazing things but if I would have done that I wouldn't even had the time for a proper lunch each day biggrin
right now I am not going anywhere but I need to capture the footage I shot and look for a flat in Berlin.

@josh: quote by alexander pope
'Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed'
be blessed, my friend wink

val37member
27 posts

Posted:
Can't wait to see the footages of the first fire open stage dude!!!!

ubbrollsmile

248 posts

Posted:
Hey guys,

added a poll about how poi spread around the world.
As far as I know it was something like this.

1) New Zealand
2) Thailand
3) Australia
4) England
5) France/Germany/SouthEastAsia
6) USA / Japan
7) East Europe
8) South Africa?

I am not so sure about that order so maybe we can figure out how it spread at least in a very vague way. Need this information for I will do some animation of the world map for the documentary.

PS: val: you'll get that stuff as soon as I make it to paris smile

joshgomeramember
155 posts

Posted:
..do you have a look in your work, how the evolution of "careocas" from south america was-is ???

it-s also of an old culture in south america (mayas- or incas, forgot)
and similar to poi
whats about this line

do you or somebody know more about ??

josh

248 posts

Posted:
wow nice,
never heard of that?

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
yeah and then you need to consider if you are going to include the influence of club swinging (Indian / Persian) on poi (cuz until recently poi moves that we do bear a lot more similarity to club swinging that polynesian poi).

--

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
I seen some performance about it, and in italy a lot of people believe that poi are an evolution of cariocas . The are used like a music instrument

on youtube i found this https://it.youtube.com/watch?v=_guOCI5WUP8

248 posts

Posted:
@pyro: yeah, I wasn't aware of club spinning either until a few people told me on the EJC about the connection of club&poi manipulation. this will definitely be mentioned.

@nulleamai: thank you so much for that video, I liked it very much. hmm will try to get in touch with bola players so maybe I can arrange to get some footage from them. by the way: how's it going over there in Italy? It wasn't until a minute ago that I remembered that you were that awesome guy I met at the EJC ubblol wave

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
awesome is too much! :-)

Here in italy the community is growing, i'm meeting more and more guys that are learning advanced tricks and maybe that in a few years we will have some good spinners!

3 years ago there was less that 10 guys that try to learn advanced skills and now there are 50 i think, and the "culture" of poi is growing.

OliveGOLD Member
enthusiast
285 posts

Posted:
@Nulleamai> well 6/7 years ago there was plenty of club-swinger & poi player in Italy .. some of them taught me my first BTB stuff
I even remember a guy that was playing 5/6 poi at the same time ..
I guess that - as most of the talented spinner I've been hanging with - .. they've stopped, or moved onto smoething else

Max, don't forget the Hungarian community .. Gora & many professional troupe have been around for way longer than you think

nulleamaiGOLD Member
152 posts

Posted:
Olive it's true what you say, i am the "second generation", you are talking of the "first"...

I did't meet steel people of the first generation, only people that starded to spin some yars ago and said me that "once upon a time" thare was amazing spinners but all of them leave italy or stopped to spin...

ThaiTomSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
Carioca : is a old game in Spain with one ?poi?
(a forgotten game)
Cariocas:now with s for(plural)two Poi
Gaucho Bolas:like Poi but wiht wooden Ballhead to hit the
ground and making a sound of stepping
(Argentina-Brasil)

1997 I saw first time Poi & Staff , old skool , first generation and i`m still plying...
hug TT
cool

joshgomeramember
155 posts

Posted:
@TT so you did it ..fine !!

good yor answer to cariocas..gracias!

@DUVAN: do you have a look how poi is connection with other disciplines like dance or theatre--if not get inspired and meet excl

hog
josh

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Max that's a very nice EJC video you have made there.
You win 3 prizes.

https://www.redsarah.com
Ask her nicely and she might give you some useful leads about poi from 10+ years ago, she was already a very good performer in London when I started.

Want Old school? this is old school, and why I think modern poi has more origins in indian club swinging than maori poi:

Mind you this lady really is old school, she is totally the Schatz (eh Coleman :D)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
ps flag poi in 1933.
https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

EDITED_BY: Glåss (1220345724)

GlåssDIAMOND Member
2,523 posts

Posted:
-