S3KnoTBRONZE Member
NomadicRhythmSimulator
204 posts

Posted:

So, this thread is a question for those with the knowledge to answer.

I, and I'm sure many others, would like to know the history behind contact staff...
Where it originated?
How long ago?
Was it a natural progression from stick twirling, or derived from other arts? (Feicha? other martial arts, etc)

Any other other questions related to this are welcome...
So, get to it and let learn a bit about our art.

Peace

EDITED_BY: S3KnoT (1220837932)

Petey: "i just finished a rubiks cube, from completely shuffled to not, in 1 minute 57 seconds "

Experiencing people is the best experience of all.

Govenor of Flynt's Ass...

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
I'd not heard of contact staff as a type of staff twirling (as opposed to conventional or 'freespinning' twirling) before i read about it on the internets via drew and rob posts.
I saw it in real life after after videos like drawandstaff were posted on HoP, which is to say that there's a significant difference between 'first appeared on HoP' and 'where it originated.'

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
theres lots of information on this already in the forums, [Old link] [Old link] [Old link] [Old link]

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
most of the contact staffers i know can trace their learngin back to mushy pea steve grin i might ask him next week where he learned...

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
First person I saw doing contact staff was Ben-ja-men.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I've seen videos of a monk doing contact staff with a trident mostly prayer / steve type rolls. think it was on here somewhere.

First person I saw doing it was strugz about 5 years ago.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I think that is what Feicha is Mynci.

I thought Meg invented contact staff?

I know a lot of contact staff goes along with baton twirling....

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: PojeI thought Meg invented contact staff?

laugh3

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

gilimnewbie
37 posts

Posted:
I first learned some from steve kelly from the gold coast Australia in '99 or so....
he'd met some ppl who where traveling who had taught him I think
I went on record saying it was a dumb idea that would never take off....
I'm SURE I'm right.....anyway day now....**POOF**
-sam

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
perhaps we can dig around and ask our contact teachers their 'lineage' - who teaches the teachers?

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
i'm 100% sure that loads of us wrote out our 'lineage' a coupla years back, but can't find it at all....

meg invented contact laugh3
roflmao.

i think we should be asking seichi inagaki his lneage, perhaps....

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah! I invented contacto!

I assume people will insert me rolling around on the floor laughing lots and lots and lots. Cos that is a funny idea.

Screw Baton Twirling and Fei Cha, I have major problems with them. Fei Cha, 4000 years of chinese history and all they do is three rolling moves with bad planes? Screw that. At least baton twirlers came up with the other types of contact. Shame about the pagentry aspects that stop people taking it seriously.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: bluecati'm 100% sure that loads of us wrote out our 'lineage' a coupla years back, but can't find it at all....

[Old link]

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
*bangs head at screen* Meg... [le sigh] there she goes again...

Originally Posted By: MegScrew Baton Twirling and Fei Cha, I have major problems with them. Fei Cha, 4000 years of chinese history and all they do is three rolling moves with bad planes? Screw that. At least baton twirlers came up with the other types of contact. Shame about the pagentry aspects that stop people taking it seriously.

Excuse my language capabilities, but are you referring to
pagentry = no result in the M-W online dictionary or
pageantry =

1 : pageants and the presentation of pageants
2 : colorful, rich, or splendid display : spectacle
3 : mere show : empty display

??? confused2 ??? shrug ??? dunno where you're going with this...

There are good reasons why contact has not been a dominant part of martial arts. The main one being that YOU'RE NOT IN CONTROL OF THE PROP and it's all-too-easy to seperate you from your prop/ weapon in combat. (disclaimer: This is not acting as an excuse for but as a possible explanation for the absence of too many contact moves in (Chinese) martial arts...) If you would truly understand the logic of martial arts, you would not belittle it's results the way you do.

As to the history of contact (or its origins) all that I can say is that I noticed some tender beginnings in the dusk of the last Millennium, when I started. Some twirlers did a few simple neck- and shoulder-rolls, really nothing too fancy.

The fact that EJC 2000 (Karlsruhe), 2001 (Rotterdam) and 2002 (Bremen) had hardly any people practicing some kind of contact (to me) proves that there has been very little attempts of contact to staff up to that period (- 'not claiming that there had been none at all, but they didn't show...). There definitely has been "contact" - but I would boldly say that it's not been remotely as complex as what we see these days.

And so far I less blamed baton twirlers but contact jugglers and martial artists for inspiring to incorporate the contact element and for the development of various (basic) moves...

As to my notice there has been an 'explosion' to contact, starting in 2003/04.

But let's finally hail MCP as the one and only source and constitutional evaluator of this worlds techniques; as the one and only justified successor and avatar of Bodhidharma. Ooooommmm, she really is up to something and latest by the time she finally starts tapping her feet whilst twirling a staff - she will definitely enter Nirvana and we will all petrify in awe... I certainly will and I can bluntly say so because I have seen her videos and know about her technical capabilities...

meditate

If only...

wink

disclaimer: some of my above post should be read with a huge gallon of humor, a spoonfull of sarcasm and a dash of poopedness

wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1221052594)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink