Forums > Social Discussion > Happy news and working with photogs

Login/Join to Participate

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Happy News:
Coca-Cola company is coming out with a new energy drink called "Burn" (odd name choice for something to go in the body..anyway)
and, *squee*, I just returned from the photo shoot where my fire is going to be used on all of the print ads and billboards promoting it!

The shoot was amazing and I was treated like a rock star, which is always lovely.
I also met several photographers who want to use my stuff in future shoots, which I am very excited about.

Buuut.
They have visions of what they want. This wasn't just "light up and we'll take photos of it because it's cool." The art director had very specific things he was aiming for and I was being directed like any model. I had to try to figure out how to best achieve his goals, safely within the (very small due to the equipment) space given, with the tools I had and the temperment of the fire.
They didn't know what the extent of the effects were that they wanted to try for before I got there, or I could have planned. Much of it was something they caught and went "Oh, I love that! Can we change it just a little to get this?" This was not about my audience-performance skills but literally them saying "I need this effect, let's figure it out". There was alot of experimenting and use of the tools in ways that were, well not what they were intended for, but fun all the same.

They were fantastic to work with. There was a bit of them not fully comprehending that while I can control the source and the direction, the way the trails move will never be perfectly identical.
They came up with concepts and ideas for me to move that were not at all spin/show based but were strictly for the camera. This was also fantastic for me because in 10 years, there've only been limited times where I've thought about the effect for the camera intentionally, rather than having an effect caught accidentally. This *really* expanded my thought process.

Has anyone else done this?
How was it for you?
How would you convey to them, without being an ass, that you will never be able to give them the exact same shot twice? You can come close, but not the same.

This was definately a wonderful challenge and experience that I look so forward to doing again, and I look so forward to your thoughts!
Thanks

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
That's awesome! and congrats. I've done the photography side of things, although pretty much all the shots of *me* spinning are the result of me setting up the camera and having someone hit the shutter release. Never had anyone try and do a real shoot with me spinning.

I guess I'll have to be on the lookout

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Lurch, that's exactly what I'm used to. Just spinning and someone shooting.

Are you a photog then?
Can you think of ways to accomplish stuff like (kid you not) straight lines with no trails leading in or out?
I used my torches but they still have leading trails.

Even if it is something to do with how to snap the photo, or when, it would be most helpful.

Thanks so much!

Pele

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Hrmmm... straight lines how? I take it they're trying to get the composition exactly how they want it?

I can think of a couple ways it *might* work, but I'd have to know more specifics about what they wanted

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Cool smile

We've been doing all the Burn launches in Ireland for the past year now - but it's mainly just spinning at a launch event, and they take random piccies.

However, when I was in America doing a show in April, I had to pose for similar pics for their Billboards...

I found it was a case of trying to keep planes as straight and clean as possible while repeating the same move (buzzsaw/corkscrew/antispin-flower - easier to control), while keeping my body and posture perfectly still, so they had the same shot a few times - that allowed them to play with their camera settings to get the best out of it.

It also makes you think about your arm and body positioning, so trying to stand at an angle so your arm doesn't pass in front of your face, but still holding the pattern.

I really enjoyed it and they got some great shots smile

Looking forward to see other ideas...

Getting to the other side smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Clare, they didn't want any buzzsaws or corkscrews or flowers because they didn't have enough dimension. He was really particular, an "artiste" wink
Burn hasn't been launched here in the US yet. They are aiming for a couple month release, which is when the ads and billboards come out. For some of it, my body is going to be replaced by the can with the fire that I dragged around my body spiralling around the can. laugh3
I'm slotted to do the release parties but that's not as big a deal.

They wanted alot of drunken monkey style stuff because it has "alot of depth and motion". I also had to do alot of trailing and contact fire. It sounds very different than what you had to do. Interesting.

I found for alot of what they wanted, poi were definately not the best tool. I think I used the spinning torches more than I had in the past year altogether! lol I had to do alot of stalls, perps, snakes and other things I'd not even concidered.
The next photo shoot is for a different promo and now I am being asked for linear.
I'm thinking of bring my jump rope and seeing what can be done, maybe?

Ideas for rope? Anyone? Bueller? wink
EDITED_BY: Pele (1220918337)

Pele

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
Fire Whips? wink

From looking at their other campaign images, Fans might be able to work..

It looks like they like a large single trail better than multiple. Which makes sense, it's easier to make it graceful, and not be too symmetrical. That about making your one giant torch for some massive flame? Flaming Baseball bat? wink

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
A baseball bat is awesomely fun! I think we have an old one in the garage wink

They didn't want the sword. I think it might have scared them grin

Pele