Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
i was wondering about something...do all the names for the moves on this site seems really technical or what? what i mean is, in my town, we gots all kinds of slang terms for these:weave=spider (which seems to go better with butterfly)low wave=jammiemexican wave=rev. jammieleg turn=sack lunch(came up with the idea by twirling a shopping bag between my legs at lunchtime)my new move has been dubbed "the nad-warmer" (it's a stall with both poi going between my legs while spinning in opposite directions, ie one from the front and one from the back)instead of "let's go have a spin jam" we say "let's go burn a sock".does anyone else have any interesting vernacular in your part of the world?Peax,Skunk

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
lol! That's phat. :P From what I know, poi is not very common in this area. I believe all of us learned from this web page, so we continue to use the terms applied here. Although, your slang terms were definately intriguing! smile *gives it some thought*I'll have to try the nad-warmer tomorrow definately :P------------------ [PLUR]-=Crazy Raver Dude=-

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-

Mr SockGOLD Member
94 posts

Posted:
Yeah, there's slang all over the place here. I know more moves than pretty much anyone i've seen spin around here, and i usually use the names from this site since that's what i used to learn, but sometimes you'll meet someone with a new name for a move you know. Butterflys behind the head, for example, are called angel wings here. I guess "burning a sock" as a term for a spin jam makes my name a little more appropriate for this board.. grin learn somethin new every day..

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted - Martin Luther King Jr.

Le Skunkmember
84 posts

Posted:
I've heard "angel wings" before, i thought it was describing turning while the spinners are going in opposite directions.anyone got any foreign lingo? australians? new zealanders? brits? I was in london a couple months ago and i KNOW for a fact that you guys have some interesting terminology...Skunk

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
hmmm...round these parts i've heard:weave: kungfubutterfly: cage

Twistmember
160 posts

Posted:
oh yeah...andbtb weave: "why the f*$! won't this work"wait... maybe that's just what i call it...

Dr.NoodleHeadBRONZE Member
170 posts

Posted:
Hey Twist..........that's soooo weird - that's exactly what I call it too! grinAlong with - The Reverse Five-beat aka "oh s##t that hurts" - Triple corkscrew alias "hey look! no front teeth" - Superman et al and their combos - "could somebody please call an ambulance, I am bleeding profusely and need professional medical attention"...or maybe I just need more practice!Noods smile

Fish are just like trees except they move and they're invisible

N8member
336 posts

Posted:
Twist, LMAO, that was funny as hell.

Care of other people's approval and you become their prisoner.Live fully, Rave wholly.Fluid are the movements of my strings...

170 posts

Posted:
N8 - we posted at EXACTLY the same time!!CooooolNoods smile

170 posts

Posted:
What am I saying - time to get my eyes checked again.DuhNoods smile

s-p-l-a-tmember
383 posts

Posted:
Wow that name must be really popular (angel wings) - I've heard ppl use it relating usually to behind the head butterflies.Who came up with the names 'Windmill' and 'Corkscrew' and 'Weave'?I think they could have a lot better names for the moves on this site. But then again it is only a name and ppl call it what they want.I have a few moves labelled @#$%! that hurts. This is one of the most painful hobbies I've taken up (I hurt myself more with poi in a few short months than any one of the hundreds of horses I've ridden over the past 10 years!)

The beautiful thing about learning is that no one can take it away from you.- B.B.King

ShawnFmember
162 posts

Posted:
Here is some of the old yo-yo players' terms for things before they realized these kinds of tricks were actually a part of poi. winkThe regular single crossing of the poi from the reverse direction was called Eye of the Tornado (It was a big deal 10 years ago! hehe).Butterfly was X-Shield (which is a pretty neat name IMHO).Stuff involving jumping or stepping over one or both is usually called Texas Cowboy.Having one spinning at your side while having the other horizontal over your head and then bringing it down and jumping over it is Clockwork.Keep 'em coming smile

CAINED-AND-UNABLEmember
214 posts

Posted:
gennerally used the same terms as here.although we dont "burn a sock"we just say "fire?", in a chirpy yet inqusitive manner.then we ,"spark up".nothing interesting.like the term angel wings . although 2 of my friends (which are new to it)gennerally call all my moves, "what the fu**" grin

Thistleold hand
950 posts

Posted:
Some of my friends call a forward to reverse weave when spun high then low a *rainbow chaser* isn't that a lovely name? When I met Megaty and Why they had all their own names for all the moves as they'd never been to this site (and they are identical twins so they kind of have their own language of poi). But sorry i can't remember it. It made it really hard when we were working out the routine, we had to resort to poi-ing hand signals a lot!peace smile

Are we nearly there yet?

Dottmember
29 posts

Posted:
wahey,i learned poi after doing loads of club swinging, so anything i knew the name of in club swinging i call that name. although i taught myself most of that so don't know many names at all...but weave (i think?) is cross and follow in club swinging, and there are loads of things called fountains etc etc...i also just got the "schatz" club swinging book, i'm going to learn loads more snakes now.dott blush)

bobrobmember
61 posts

Posted:
hey CAINED-AND-UNABLE,sounds like youve been sparkin up plenty my friend. grin

Shouden-CrDSILVER Member
Veteran Member
495 posts

Posted:
Someone should make a list of slang-poi terms around the world. Would be *VERY* interesting to read. I'd prolly pick up on some of them, just cause they are neat to use instead of saying, hey bob, let's do the BTB weave....."OH F*CK." is what I call that one..:PAs for lighting some poi on fire..."Let's light up." Then again..I guess I use that sentence in more than one meaning/place. hehpeace guysCRD

-=ÇrazyRaverÐude=-