tcwmember
6 posts

Posted:
any one got tips on how to store a fire staff and how to care for it:?washing off carbon marks and stuff like thatthanks!!!

AnonymousPLATINUM Member

Posted:
a bag, mashine washable, didge case... then to clean metal use wire wool, a lil' weeny drop of stinky petrol on a rag to polish, take care of it and it takes care of you, ive seen some really neglected babies out there. peace.tom.

.draevonBRONZE Member
92 posts

Posted:
Hello there Mr the Pomme ... what are you up to these days?Ðraevon.

tcwmember
6 posts

Posted:
so i put bags on the end of my staff?whats a didge case?im australian so .........

psychomonkeymember
148 posts

Posted:
Of course! A didge case. I've been playing didge for ~4 years (i've oly been spiining/swinging for about 9 months).A didge is aVERY Australian instrument, it is a long tube made of Eucalyptus(However you spell it) with a beeswax mouthpiece. It give that wonderful low drone sound. I know that here in the state you have to make your own cases. I use three old pant legs. sewed them end to end. Sewed one end up and sewed a drawstring into the other. Basically what you want is a long cloth tube. If you're the sewing type do it all from scratch. If not, I'd use several ugly shirt sleeves. It works fine for a didge, it should work fine for staff, wihch weighs about a third as much. Good Luck Ryan

One can only see what one observes, and one observes only things which are already in the mind.-Alphonse Bertillon

xaedamember
129 posts

Posted:
For storing, I have a couple of old socks that I put over the ends. Not ideal, but they work. A better alternative would be little fabric bags with elastic or drawstrings at the opening. Unless I'm travelling, I like to have only the ends covered so that I can pick it up and play unlit, without getting black marks everywhere. It's surprising how much practise you can do if you just pick your staff up every time you walk past! smileFor cleaning, I use a detergent called Jiff. Not sure if you have it overseas. It's a cleaner that people use for cleaning kitchens and bathrooms, and it's got gritty stuff in it that scratches all the dirt off. Chemico is good too, that pink stuff that comes in tubs. Normally I find that if you just rub the soot off with a cloth after you finish burning, you don't really need to use detergent. If you leave it till next time, it seems to get kinda baked on. have funx

the memories fire, the rhythm falls slow....

Rainmember
69 posts

Posted:
If you play with your staff on the beach, then you can do what I do. When you finish just rub the carbon marks with a handful of sand. It woks fine on my home made aluminium staff, but I supose it could scratch some surfaces. Hope this helps, Rain.

tcwmember
6 posts

Posted:
oh....didge=didgeridoo

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Because of my work in Renaissance faires I use leather bags that I sew. I agree with X and only keep the heads covered. I cover them in a plastic bag and them with the leather satchel with drawstrings on the end. Then I can swing them in public as well and they look fine. As for when I clean them, believe it or not there I use a facial cleanser for it. There is a ton of facial cleansers with gentle pumice granules in them...I use one by Bath and Body works. It cleans my face, my hands and my staff ends without harming any of it!!!!For the wood I use a damp cloth to wipe it down...which I do after every show.For long distance transport I have a hollow PVC tube that has caps on the end that I put them in...I got the stuff on discount from a home supply store. Also what works so they don't get beat up are those ugly old fashioned hard sided luggage cases...sew ties into them and they hold really well without taking a beating. That's the way I still transprt all of my fire eating/breathing stuff and my poi. Good care is essential, after all if you are as fanatic about them as I am they are not only a means of meditaion and money, they are part of the family winkHappy joy to all!!!!Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

dangerboyoriginal member
205 posts

Posted:
Personally, I like staffs to look abused. My metal ones are scratched and scored and blackened. My wood ones are a rich dark colour now and the grain really stands out. I guess the blackened abused staves go with the bondageboy look i got for when I spin.

Earth my body, water my blood, air my breath, fire my spirit

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
Hmmmmm....black marks! Anything chemical usually gets rid of black marks - and most of the surface under neath!!As for covering staffs - I agree with X - cover the ends. I just have small drawstring nylon bags on the ends - maybe not the best idea especially if you want to stash your staff straight after a performance ......heat + nylon.....!DON@T use plastic bags - they melt and smel real good...I mean funny! :-)Anything you can get your hands on is best - experiment and it looks original!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
hey Sammie...do you put yours away hot/warm? confusedWe use heavy duty camp plastic and have never had a problem with melt issues....but we let all of our stuff cool down first...then again the way the shows are set up...we don't have a choice. By the time we leave the stage most everything has cooled down to handling temps. cool------------------PeleHigher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir...

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

sammiemember
56 posts

Posted:
Pele - I have put them away warm a couple of times in plastic tesco's bags (not good!) blushInvested in some thicker nylon/plastic combo bags and put them away COLD now! smile

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
hey xaeda! that's great idea about using detergent to take off that crappy soot stains offa staves! Compared to mine, I had a silly way to do it, plus my tongue was was going black from doing it!
keep 'em coming!

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always