Forums > Social Discussion > Spinning at a wedding....any ideas??

Login/Join to Participate

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
Hello Pyro's

so been impressing some friends with the staff skills and now they want me to spin it up at there wedding!!!

so wanna do something really special and thought it put it out to the community to see if any seasoned pros had any tips

....oh and abit of my background, ive been spinning for 2 1/2 years now, LUVVVVE IT, staff that is, and im alright with contact moves and have some pretty good shows infront of 200+ people in Canada and Maui. Ive only really done single staff but been practising, with wo cept my big staff snapped recently (see:broken staff in tech)

so the mission should i choose to accept it is:
1)buy/make new staff
2)master new staff
3)dazzle wedding goers, leaving them hot and a little moist

anyone have any ideas??????

p.s. love the forum only just joined but great community, im not alone YAY!! this internet thing is amazing....

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: avalancheso the mission should i choose to accept it is:
1)buy/make new staff
2)master new staff
3)dazzle wedding goers, leaving them hot and a little moist

anyone have any ideas??????

1) you need addresses or "do it yourself" advice?
2) I'd say: rather stick to your routine, than start training new stuff (unless the wedding is in a years time)
3) umm my response to that sounds too sleazy to get posted in a PG forum...

*silently points to the "Help" section* wink

hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
erm....nope

lets try to think positive and people/locations arn't gonna get burnt blown up

if i were a film i want to be less Michael Bay, more Miyazaki (Howl's Moving Castle, Princess Mononoke everyone watch them)

anyway wedding?!! i was checking out the fire dyes, anybody used them?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Avalanche: Spanners advice is not about "negative thinking" but about "firesafety regulations".

If the event is happening in a public place (restaurant, club) - anything the general public has access to - YOU (as the performer) are responsible for all damage resulting from your performance, incl. injury - unless specified otherwise by written and signed contract and unless this waiver is legal in your country.

You got any idea how much it would cost for firefighters to arrive on scene and how much the same for a paramedic costs? Not to speak of compensation for the damage and/or injury...

it could cost your future...

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
ok....sorry firetom

and im in england, where health and safety rules this country with an iron fist, crushing all forms of danger that are intrinsic to growth

im just used to covertly getting the staff out have a quick spin, people are happy, put it out, im defiantely not the only one out there.......thats kindof what i was hoping to do anyway, cos im skint at the mo and can't afford a permit, this is part of my wedding gift to long time friends

i do have some common sense and have never had an incident yet (touch wood) all fuel is cept away from the fire, and drunks, and put straight back into the containing before lightning up, and people are at a distance

margitaSILVER Member
.:*distracted by shiny things*:.
3,777 posts

Posted:
i reckon just keep it simple smile

arsn & ~leah~ spun fire (poi) at my wedding in june & the guests loved it. many hadn't seen fire spinning in person before, so they're easy to please!! grin i don't think you need to worry about coloured flames or any of that fancy stuff...just get out there & have fun with it! smile

do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and good to eat!

if at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished!

smile! :grin: it confuses people!

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
good advice gita
just wanted to do something special, what about dressing up??
or has anyone ever spun in a tux???

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You can pretty much spin in every outfit (including sheer bodypaint - leaving audience "hot and moist" wink ) just make sure it's from cotton and not catching fire too easy.

As to your performance: As Gita said - keep it simple, be graceful and smile. Should be'nuff wink

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Ok, well the weddings I've done have ranged from them looking down from a balcony with us being a surprise to a really low key "hoe-down" where they had bucking bull rides and flags.

It really depends what the couple wants. Since it's only one of you... Maybe you could do some spinning at the entrance of the venue while everyone walks in? Or ask when in the evening would be a good time, find out from someone else whether they have a favourite/special song.

For our special performance, we changed our costumes. Usually we all wear black, but this time I wore white, the guys in black and we made it a love story, adding a bit of choreography to get this across.

I can't really give you many tips spinning wise as I don't staff and I wouldn't perform a wedding alone.

Hope it goes well for you!!

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
body paint eh?!!
i could have a wedding message..... laugh3
EDITED_BY: avalanche (1220538938)

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
rolleyes like... umm

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Body paint at a wedding...I don't think so.

Is this an indoor, or an outdoor event ?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Why not a painting that resembles a Tux? ninja wink

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:
ahhhh it'll be like i never changed cool
right time to research body paint.......

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Did a search for you and it came back with a considerable result: "BMI >25 if you intend to perform wearing nothing but bodypaint"

wink

avalanchestranger
18 posts

Posted:

shocked
there's only one bit of wedding tackle the brides gonna see, and it isn't gonna be mine