TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
If this is a joke, I find it pretty funny.
If it's real, then I find it pretty damn scary.

Beef Trees

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
HUH? I'm not so sure I believe this..

You'd have to get rid of the cell walls and make a contractile actin-myosin network in a plant cell. And you'd have to put cholesterol synthesis genes in to lubricate the cell membranes. This is too easy as explained.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Very odd!
It's not written on the 1st April...

I am very reluctant to believe it but you never know with science these days

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:

mmm, well unless the fruit got exercised regularly then there wouldn't be much meat on them anyway. I'm sure there are many many flaws I can find in this article, but it's blatantly a joke and it's Friday aft so I can't be @55ed. I'll keep an eye out round Manc for them tho
...oh and trans species...trans order more like but I digress...been staring at gattaca's too much

It's almost as good as Chris Morris' spherical cows

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
can they do it to grow money on trees yet?

then when i ask my mum to buy me an aerotech staff...she cant say "no, money doesnt grow on trees you know"

Astarmember
1,591 posts

Posted:
Sounds absurd to me. I think it would probably be easier and more cost effective to gentically modify cows to produce beef more efficiently.

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
Far to scary even if it is sci-fi. Lots of reasons to get very scared and start wetting the bed. You can start developing a race of super trees, and when they start splicing carnivore genes, well ever seen a grape-fruit tree which is fact a giand vens fly-trap. Simply put if you want to eat cow you gotta be prepared to kill a cow. Yes the big animal that eats grass, looks at you with big brown eyes and contributes to the green house effect. And if you can see the size of a fillet, and it's a decent size take a chainsaw to the bugger. Preferablly the cow had a very happy existance and grew up with-out hormones on a bio-dynamic farm. Chemical, Hormone and grape-fruit free. Just imagine if you where a cow, how whould you like it if you grew up in side a grape-fruit. No there a lot of things wrong with genetic endineering. Another point if you make this pesterside & drought resistant, engineer it to a particular clime this could unlesh a nasty weed upon unsuspecting ecosystems. I live in Australia an already this problem of alien species is devestation to some of our most loved areas (cane toads in kakadu). There has not been enuff scientific research in to the splicing of genes into food supply. And simply a taste test will not suffice! Genetic mutation is simply know in the medical world as cancer? Wow I just think I ranted, but I do work in an organic restraunt and I think maybe I'm allowed. Don't let them f$#k with the source, you are what you eat.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ok, so I figured it out.

We're GULLIBLE SOTS, the lot of us.

It was in the Weekly World News: a tabloid.

No, it's not true. In fact, it is quite impossible with current technology, just as I said. *huge sigh of relief*

Besides, I'm a vegetarian primarily for health reasons, so because this "beef" would still have all the health disadvantages of real beef, I still wouldn't eat it and I doubt many veggies would.

-Mike

dwuanosmember
79 posts

Posted:
Sorry for clogging up topics in a mad crazed way but G.M is a topic of much disgust and some-thing that effects me, most passionatly. Long live free food. Don't pay some pharmetcuitical company for you right to eat! If the world swithed to Bio-Dynamic farming we could feed the world on 6% of the land we currently use for commercial farming today. And thank you brovil for an un or was it an amusing topic?
G.M's must die!

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:
Or come on...GM ain't that bad
I know...I know, but I do sciencey stuff and I think a lot of scaremongering is going on..a lot of mistakes in the past to boot aswell. But I think people should be given the choice if they want, we don't have to eat it. And I think a lot of people would choose not to....anyway it's friday night and I've just cracked a bottle of koonunga hill
So I'll stop babbling now.

boing...boing...When the naive man admits his naivete, he is no longer naive.Thus, all people are regarded by society as either ignorant or a liar.Wonders never cease, as long as you never cease to wonder.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I don't think genetic modification is generally necessary. I think it promotes non-sustainable farming techniques.

I just don't think that the benefits outweigh the risks. There are certain modifications (like the Flavr-Savr tomato) that are generally safe (just an antisense transcript thrown in to stop ethylene production in the tomato), but a lot of the resistance genes and stuff just aren't necessary.

-Mike

Nathdaninjamember
271 posts

Posted:

Flavr savr man...that didn't last too long. The fist supermarket over here to champion the GM thang was Sainsbury's...which was also coinkydinkily the first to stop selling GM. Which is also coinkydinkly owned by Lord Sainsbury(pretty senior scientific consultant in english government)...who is also my ex's dad's boss.
I totally dig the farming techniques point aswell...it's has been proven that low depth plwoing and organic farming is in the long run much better fo the environment and can support comparable crops once established...ooh....gotta go pub calls
N