Page:
duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
Hi poiple,

Third Teaser: "Work In Progress"

GeekBlog - 11/07/2009

Hey again,

ok it's time to come clear concerning the documentary. I am, to say the least, quite ashamed to have made so many promises that I was not able to keep. I deeply apologize for that.

My mind has been busy a lot. I had huge problems approaching the pile of footage that accumulated and I would like to blame this mental block on my own expectations, worries of what you may think and my laziness. There have been a few projects that I considered a lot 'easier' such as the Berlin Spinning video or the KidPoi DVD that we are currently doing. The latter is a coproduction of Alan Blim from the Jonglierkatakomben, LOOOOP (that Berlin partnerpoi crew) and me. Editing is complete, we are currently recording voice overs, the music and it's gonna be worth watching I suppose.

Anyways I think I exaggerated the whole "promo" and "teaser" thing quite a bit and again I apologize for that. I have now found a way to tell the story that I would really like to tell and it's not going to be a documentary like you would see it on telly, meaning 40 minutes straight about something. I decided to not even try to make any money on this but to release episodes, meaning 5 to 10 minutes clips on youtube free for all. This takes away a lot of the pressure that kept me from sorting things out for so long. After all Poi is my passion and most beloved hobby and I don't want to make it something 'pro' in the sense of having to earn money with it.

Enough of me babbling around, I will announce the release date for the first episode now: January the 10th. Please do me a favor and kick my ass from time to time if you really want to see this stuff. Procrastination sucks.

Kudos again to all of you who have helped me so much during the creation of this project!!!

Max

Oh and by the way if you feel like slapping me now don't bother, Thomas has done that for you a long time ago wink

Non-Https Image Link

ThaiTomSILVER Member
57 posts

Posted:
the beginning of Poi ?!! a good Qustion !
Bauer Franz (Linz/Austria)was 1994 in NZ in Nelson and there the people try to create somthing new...they put a string on the Club´s and with the time the Club get shorter and the string longer finaly they found the way back to the traditional Poi.
I was Rock Climbing and traveling in Thailand 1990-1991-1992-1993-1994.In 1995 crossing Malaysia & Indonesia.1996 Thailand Laos Cambodia Vietnam.No"Fireactivitis" BUT April 1997 I came back to Thailand for Rockclimbing(Rai Ley Beach) there I saw 20 people plying firepoi&staff most of them rockclimbers.
TEX was the first thai rockclimber and firetwirrler and he is married to an english girl(conected to the world)and he was doing Fireshows and selling "Firechains"
My first poilesson I got from a swedish rocklimbing girl.
Francoa from Paris double staff & Climber
a teacher from switzerland Poi & Climber
and I remember some people from Slowakia.and more...
In India 2000 I got the first time the word "Poi" and that it comes from NZ - Nelson
2001 I met "Robert Heart" in Thailand (Koh Phangan) he gave me no lessons because I am to old.cool what!!!
Lucky me. I went to the next beach where "Tim West"(Auckland -NZ) was teaching.
Maybe the best poiplayer of that time (& doublestaff-contactjuggling-juggling....)he was travelling around the world...Burning Man..Ibiza..UK..India..Thailand...?/Tim West is the Best/
well well well
POI is going around the world
I am shure there are many other people and storys about the beginning.
tell us your story !
10 year´s Poi.The Evolution is incredible.sometimes I can`t believe what is going on and where will it end!
E N D L E S S
cheers Thai Tom

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
mmm very interesting TT!

In Oz I can clearly remember fire spinning / UV twirling at parties in the early to mid 90s when I was still at uni. I've heard of fire performance (fire twirling, juggling and breathing) crews from Adelaide in the early 90s - next time I bump into one of the guys I'll ask him what he knows of the early local history. See if I can track it back some more.

I'm sure its all going to lead back to Robert Heart at confest or something lol2.

I'd love to hear about the early Burning Man fire twirling crews...there surely must be a lot of folklore there.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Nice work on the vids Glass. :applause:

--

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey well, Max (Duvan) just passed through Brisbane on his world exploration, to shoot some footage at Uberoz3. What a nice man! If he asks if he can come stay/work with you, I suggest you say yes!
Happy travels Max and I really look forward to seeing the doco when its done and the Uberfootage when it arrives of course too.
Cheers
Gabe

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

gilimnewbie
37 posts

Posted:
hey max, good to have you in brisbane
hope you can use the riverfire footage....maybe a segue somehow smile
don't remember what happened to it, but back around 2000 there was a set of poi that got sent around the world....from city to city for twirlers to use
bec and elke from phoenix fire tribe had it in brisbane....they might know where it came from or went....
a nice early example of the now ubiquitous poi community....
-sam

Ossianstranger
2 posts

Posted:

Hi Max,

you go to South America?

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Is Max coming to Common Ground?

hug

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MalcolmI just dropped Max off at the Airport leaving New Zealand and heading back to Australia. Such a nice man, would also recommend him to all single women as excellent husband material. Jesse thinks he is the coolest.
laugh3 Round here that counts as a Stirling silver reference for your dating CV.

I can add:
He makes grown women cum, just by looking at them.
grin

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I know glowstringing was popular in the 80's rave scene.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

Ossianstranger
2 posts

Posted:
He comes to Brazil?

248 posts

Posted:
hi guys,

sorry, took me some time to post something!

@glass: thanks for the videos! nice stuff, especially the granny hehe

@ossian: I'd love to go to Brazil but I got no time/money to go there. Thanks for your info though about your spinning scene, was very interesting!

@malcolm: thanks for the kind words hehe

@all: I will hopefully update you about what's going on in a week or two, it is an amazing trip and I got so many nice things to tell. so see you soon

248 posts

Posted:
Hi guys,

I am looking for pictures or videos from "Poi Wounds".
Did you ever burn yourself badly or did you hit yourself
with beaming poi so many times that your leg turned blue?

I would like to show some of these in the documentary.
I wouldn't mention your name when showing the picture
or video (unless you want me to) but I would definitely
put your name in the "special thanks" credits grin

Yes, I am aware of the fact that you have a lot
of things to do but I would be very glad if you
could spare a minute to help me with my project
- it would help me making a nice film smile
so if you have any videos or pictures that you
want to share please contact me at the following
address: duvan[at]gmx[dot]de

keep spinning!
max

/edit: I have a little surprise waiting for those
who participate in my beg for help ;))
EDITED_BY: duvan (1223212440)

joshgomeramember
155 posts

Posted:
hey max,

i heard you will soon live in berlin..

there, i know a "poi wound master", i have a litte vid of it but on dv- cassette ..if not next burn is coming- sure

also, another frined of mine in heidelberg got a collection of nice poi wounds pictures

see you

josh

EDITED_BY: joshgomera (1223468697)

248 posts

Posted:
yeah, cool, very nice, Thank you thank you thank you, josh grin
I will contact you as soon as I am "up there"!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hey I dreamed you were sitting on some steps at a friendly house last night!
Happy travels and happy settling in Berlin!
Gabe

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
Interestingly - I was talking to one of my old skool fire twirling friends, who told me he first saw firetwirling at Confest in '87, and was involved in fire performance in Adelaide soon after. Even more interestingly, the fire twirling he saw at Confest was CONTACT style, slow and body roll-y. Certainly wasn't Robert Heart style.

--

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
lol so it seems likely round about the time when confest first appeared in Oz that someone present wasn't wearing no pants.
I believe Felix Pyrotechnique (FNQ) had involvement with fire at confest in the earlier days.

I've never met Mr Heart so I can't really comment on that...

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

248 posts

Posted:
hey gabe, I am sure it was your house, most friendly house I've ever seen (in Australia) grin

pyro: interesting stuff!

and the rest stay tuned for a nice little video that I'll publish in a few days laugh3

joshgomeramember
155 posts

Posted:
duvan :

thursday i-m in berlin..and i-ll go to train in RAW

see youu ??

josh

248 posts

Posted:
well seems like there's something coming

wooooooops

there it is smile

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Nice teaser there

but...

9 more months ????

Ok...I'll sit on my hands then.

248 posts

Posted:
yes, it is nine more months
and believe me, they are so worth it grin

I had the choice of either rushing this project and release it in april or may with some great ideas missing or to give myself and the project some more time and realize the stuff that I (and most other poi players) dream of smile

as you may know I have 50+ hours of footage and of course I can't use all of it in a 60 min documentary. but I will keep uploading some of the stuff that can't be used and tease you a little more and give you an insight into my work.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
How is this documentary going to be available in the end? ?

hug

248 posts

Posted:
There'll be a DVD available containing not only that awesome documentary but also a nice surprise that I can't talk about right now. I can't tell you either when and where to possibly get your hands on that film powered by pure awesomeness for I have to take care of legal affairs before I give you more details on that.

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
I'm really looking forward to this: consider my appetite whetted..

for some reason the way the words comes up makes me think of '24'

and max, you have awesome taste in music smile

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
yep, that's editing...

imagine that you have to watch all 50 hours at least once, and well maybe you have to sit through it twice, once to capture it, once to log it...

then you get rid of some stuff, so now maybe you're down to 25 hours... which you have to watch again, to make sure it's good stuff...

halfing or more as you go, you'll probably have to spend at least 100 watching footage. That's not including thinking time, editing time, post processing like colour correction, and all the other jazz that a real film student does, not an amateur like me. Considering it's gonna be 60 minutes long, he's gonna do a lot of thinking about the script and the ideas and whatnot.

So before thinking time, there's a good three weeks of just watching footage in order to edit it. (If you take like a thirty hour working week)

have fun!

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

248 posts

Posted:
it's been a while...

mcp's post was so intimidating that I didn't even dare to continue work on the film grin

just kidding, in fact the in depth period of editing has just started and I'll soon be able to contact all the lovely people for the pickup shootings.

thanks for your patience, peace
and keep spinning smile

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
never mind MCP - you got to learn to admire her for who she is wink

really beautiful teaser smile

looking forward to see the finished product

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

248 posts

Posted:
miniupdate, sorry no video yet frown

16.15.8GOLD Member
I can´t think therefore I´m not
291 posts

Posted:
No matter how you choose to share the video material from the world of poi that you have experienced the result is most likely going to be a fresh breath of air for us and I do look forward to it...

Nice pic wink

"I don´t like shoes, definitely not spinning with shoes, they make my feet feel flat, my feet are not flat...."

Page: