pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
hey there everyone

its starting to get exceedingly close to that time where ive gotta leave the upper hemisphere and start my trek back home.. before i get to melbourne however, ill be making a stop in christchurch NZ for a little while..

HoPs 10th birthday is the 'must do' attraction, but at the moment im have nowhere to stay.

so, im wondering, does anyone in christchurch have a spare couch, bed, air matress or piece of space in which theyre happy to have me sleep on for a while? im not locking anything in place yet, but im just trying to get an idea, so i know when to book my ticket home for smile

thanks heaps in advance everyone, i really appreciate it

hug kiss

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Sir Pete - if all else fails you can drop on the floor at our place, although it may not be the most central/convenient place for you to base yourself as a tourist. And having just started the new job I won't be able to take any time off to play tour guide except for the weekend. But if you don't mind a couple of old farts and know it-all teenagers wink I'd be honoured to have you.

When you arriving in our neck of the woods?? And are you going elsewhere in NZ while here? I just now finished posting a suggested "itinary" for Birgit in her world travel thread so that might give you some ideas if you are.

PM or email me! ubbrollsmile

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
thankyou george.. you were on the list of people i had to say hi to.. so i will more than likely take you up on that offer..

will shoot you a message in good time smile

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
righto .. found out i land on october 21, and want be back in melbourne by the november 10, so its looking like ill be spending maybe 2.5 weeks in nz, of which will all be in the south island..

where i actually go though, i have no idea.. ill definetely be there for HoPs birthday, ill have to visit HoP at some point, and i have a non-HoP friend who ill have to visit.. i figure ill probably leave around the 7-8th, to give me some buffer time to mess about, but we'll see

i think ill probably stay mostly in christchurch, but ive got the offer to stay in queenstown for a little which could be nice

any reccomendations?

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
bounce2 Woohoo! bounce2 Gonna get a Petey, gonna get a Petey!!! bounce2 nana @ Doc Lightning!! bounce2

Copy and Paste and some editing since you'll start in Chch from my post in Birgit's thread:

I recommend West Coast, Wanaka and Milford Sound, then up to Queenstown where I'm sure Mr Point Blank will see you right, and then up to Chch via Lake Pukaki/Mt Cook and Lake Tekapo (or the other way around). You MUST go past these 2 lakes (they are my favourite scenery in all of NZ) Did you see Lord of the Rings??? - it's Riders of Rohan territory but better than you see in the movie...
Hmmm, actually, from Chch go down the center of the island past Lake Tekapo/Mt Cook, Queenstown, Wanaka, Milford Sound then back up West Coast (Franz Josef/Fox Glaciers, Hokitika (Greenstone carving)) to Punakaiki (Pancake rocks) and back to Chch through Lewis Pass stopping at Hanmer Springs (hot pools). If you've still got time and money, a detour from Hanmer up to Kaikoura and the Whale Watch tour - they pretty much guarantee a *close* enounter with a whale or 2 in their natural environment. Only problem is it mises out the top of the South - Nelson and the Sounds... but you haven't got much time...

Simon - might have some better/other ideas?

Seriously though re the couch/bed - I won't be offended if you get a better offer from someone younger/hipper and more tourist friendly located than me!! grin
Besides, the new job may yet take me away from NZ yet, so keep your options open young man! ubbrollsmile

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
thanks for the tips

yeah, im not locking anything in.. but its looking like i wont spend all that long in nz

hug

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Guaranteed sleeping space in qtwn, but you knew that already.

Georges travel recommendations pretty much sum up my ideas (definately go to hanmer springs, the hot pools are awesome :P). There are some glow worm caves in kaikoura as well I think, not that good for spinning but very cool to look at and marvel at the glowy goodness.

If you've got time to go to nelson it's an awesome place, beautiful beaches, beautiful people. There's a backpackers in picton called jugglers rest which is pretty cool, all sorts of spinny toys all round the place.

While you're down this way te anau and wanaka are top spots to take a trip to (if you have the time and money)

Looking forward to seeing you again petey hug

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
thanks simon!

booked the ticket home today.. ill be rocking into melbourne on november 5th, so i wont have much time at all in nz..

wanaka sounds like a place i might want to check out.. so im currently looking into that for a couple of days..

any recomendations on how to get about the south island, unless i decide to resort to hitching?

thanks heaps, petey hug

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Hey Petey - I just realised that the Monday after the HoP birthday weekend is a public holiday!!! So I get an extra day to be able to show you around! bounce2 bounce2

I re-read your dates - you arrive Chch on Tues 21 and the HoP burpday is on the weekend. You should probly plan on using those days before the weekend to cram as much as possible in so something like catching up with your friend say the Wed then use the Thursday and Friday to go up to Hanmer Springs and Kaikoura, back to Chch for Sat/Sun. Then depending on how long you want to stay here you could start south on the Monday or Tuesday after the burpday then instead of coming back through Lewis Pass to Hanmer/Kaikoura, continue up to Nelson/Picton. Catching up with Nikki and the team at Jugglers Rest in Picton would be a good plan - I recommend the jam! grin

For a Petey with not much time, Wanaka is a stopping point on the way to Milford Sound only. There's certainly things to do and see there, but Milford Sound is the next "must see" rather than Wanaka itself... (just a random thought)

How to get around... hitching may be ok for a Petey but not sure if I'd recommend it for a Pricklyleaf or Dr Birgit...
It's certainly cheapest! But it's not likely to be very reliable for someone on a tight time frame - I dunno how effective it would be - Simon, any thoughts?
If you really want, my sister & brother in law run their own car rental company. Not sure how cheap a rate they'd give you tho!

Come on Simon - I'm a few more years away from the realities of NZ travelling than you are! Need your input mate!
hug

grin

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
afraid i cant do the whole car rental thing george.. i dont yet have my license.. so im probably looking for more coach services or something.. not to be confused with guided coach tours though... yuck wink so yeah.. ive sorta have to follow where i can get around cheapish smile

im thinking a brief hello to simon in queenstown, and check out milford sound if i can.. just so once ive left, i can say im 'pining for the fjords' wink this would be followed by HoPs birthday and hanging out with you george for a little.. that then gives me a week to get to picton, to the jugglers rest for a few nights, then come back, hang out with my friend cel for a little and jump on the plane home..

how does that sound to you?

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
You'll have to be very quick if you expect to get through queenstown, wanaka and milford sound if you're going to do it before the party, 3 days down here (well 1 day really if you include travelling time to and from chch) isn't going to be enough time to do much sightseeing.

So on those grounds, I'd recommend going up to hanmer when you arrive, it's only a couple of hours out of chch, hang out there for a day, then check out kaikoura and whale watching, back in chch for the weekend, then come down to qtwn after that (there's more to see and do here than chch or picton, really the only thing to do in picton is go to jugglers rest and hang out spinning smile ). Spend a couple or 4 days down here so you have time to check out wanaka and milford, go bungy jumping or skydiving or which ever adventure activities catch your eye, then you'll have almost a week to get up the west coast to get to picton and back to chch for a day or 2 in time for your flight (loads of time)

Hitchhike mate, tis much more interesting and a whole lot cheaper, I've got quite a bit of experience in that field and will gladly do a hitching mission to qtwn with you to get back from the party. All you really need is a bit of cardboard and the name of the place you're going to scrawled on it, NZ's a hitch hiker friendly country and you seldom have to wait long for a lift (except when stuck in remote places where nobody is going the way you're going as dave and I found out when we hitched from picton to queenstown)

Forewarned is forearmed, there is little doubt that you will be waking up with a mild hangover most days you're in queenstown (subject to how many nights I have to work while your here), the best cure is to go out and do something mental like jumping off a bridge, throwing yourself off a mountain or getting towed behind a boat 200 meters in the air tongue2

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Nelson/Picton I was thinking you might be interested in for the walking tracks and sea kayaking that can be done there.
But yes, otherwise I agree you don't have time to do anything south of Chch in the 3 days before the party which is why I outlined the same thing Simon did. (Simon, we agreed on something! eek )

grin

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
oh yeah.. my mistake.. i just looked up the distances.. i guess nz isnt *quite* as small as i assumed tongue2

yeah, so i *might* do kaikoura before HoPs b'day.. or i might hang out with a friend in christchurch.. then stay with you george.. from there, either head up to picton/nelson, or down to simon.. then to the other one.. my main attraction to queenstown isnt really to go sight seeing.. more just to catch up with simon.. but ill do what i can with the time available.. that should give me 4 days in each, after travel time, that'd be 2 full days in each.. which is pretty good considdering my time frame

hows that sound now?

hug

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
sounding better - still keeps it open and flexible.
Give me a PM/mail closer to when you're going to arrive. Depending on your arrival timing, might be able to collect you.

grin

water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
that would be great.. will let you know smile

hug