bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
I've had a chronic back problem for three years now, and i'm getting a bit fed up with it. i recently stumbled accross a book on alexander technique, and, upon discovering that my first task would be to lie down a lot, have decided to give it a go - lots of people say it has worked wonders with their physical issues.

i was wondering if anyone here has used AT, and how it has affected their spinning? and what other effects it has had?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Haven't seen him round for a while but if you message Mr. 87wt.... (check the Birmingham thread), he's doing a course in that. *hugs for your back*

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Alexander technique is awesome, and will also do WONDERS for your posture. Good posture = good spinning, but you already knew that. wink

I understand the principles of it (I read a book too smile ) but never really put it into lots of practice. now and again I'll be concious of my posture and try to fix it.

I have a friend who is a qualified teacher... he was at the Sion circus school, but I'm not sure where he is now. I should try and hang out with him and learn from him at some point...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

IrinusBRONZE Member
enthusiast
222 posts

Posted:
More hugs for your back hug Sorry I don't know more about this but I'd be really curious to hear what you've tried that HASN'T worked and why?

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
I have had chronic back problems for six and a half years now and whilst visiting my sister in Berkley, I had an AT session with a professional about a month ago. Although I do not have access to lessons where I am now, the few techniques/exercises I took away from that session has helped me dramatically. I can recognize my poor posture habits much more quickly now and have noticed less stress and strain in my back - not to mention less pain.

With regards to spinning, with the proper technique and posture for moving, just about everything you do will flow more smoothly and naturally. It will require less effort and cause less strain on your body.

I hope your back feels better. hug2

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys, i'm sure the hugs will help grin

i actually don't have any problems spinning fluidly, even when i am in a little pain doing other things - it tends to manifest itself when i try to sit/bend over/stand up - the spinning actually helps loosen the muscles, but i certainly don't so anything too strenuous when its around.

tommy; What happened was that i tore a ligament while practising backflips in a cold room after three months in australia.... the ligament itself was only a minor tear, but all the muscles nearby went into spasm, and this is what recurs. i have excellent physio exercises which clear it up in 1-3 weeks. so i wouldn't say i have tried things that don't work, more that what i'm after is to prevent it happening as frequently.

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Tried Yoga at all, bluecat? Meditation? I know nothing about the alexander technique, but I thought i'd throw these ideas out there and then look into AT...

Travelling Australia could help, too, I think. Warmer climate and all that. Its summer here of course.

Honestly hope something works for you, nothing can be worse than the frustration of being physically inhibited, especially when object manipulation is a love.

hug

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
forgot to say to elanna - thats great news for you! i'm seeing a teacher this week, and i hpe i can say the same thing after only a month!

MNS: i actively dislike yoga, for no good reason - i find it really dull and not suited to my bodily needs at all. same with pilates. and i am VERY poor at meditating. i have tried for years, and the only meditation i can find is in object manipulation - its the only time i can really truly switch my mind off.

and i'll find it very hard to travel Aus again, as i'm 3 years into a refusal to fly. and, wierdly enough, i actually like cold weather. it makes me feel alive... hmmm. confused2

thanks for the thoughts though - now go away and think something more useful wink

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I did a little research on the AT because I'd never heard of it before and I couldn't find anything negative about it.

My skeptics forum had a few posts that basically said "whatever" The benefits are questionable, but at least it's not harmful ( unlike homeopathy, which deserves to be tortured to death )

Quackwatch dot org wasn't critical and only offered an definition of the AT, and for some strange reason, I seem to have lost the link to a promising looking antiquack blog. If you want, I could probably get it for you.

An interesting blurb on Quackwatch describing the AT and it's relationship to "out sedentary lifestyle " causes me to mention back pain I was having last winter. I'd wake up early, really early and have to get out of bed because my lower back was hurting so much. After i was awake and moving about for around half an hour the pain would disappear.

Cue New Years resolution season, which had me joining a gym ( actually, hiring a personal trainer who has a gym in her house ) because, my pants were...errr. shrinking, yea, that's it, and after a few weeks, poof no back pain.

It might be that simple, just hit the weights...but don't over do it and use proper technique.

Good luck

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
edit-accidental post
EDITED_BY: simta (1220135440)
EDIT_REASON: accidental post

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

ElannaSILVER Member
Where ignorance is bliss, 'tis folly to be wise.
2,293 posts

Posted:
I know you don't have problems spinning fluidly. tongue2 And sitting down is pretty much the worst thing for your back aside from driving.

The moving fluidly bit was more about the mechanics of how your body moves, not your poi/staff/whatever. An example would be standing up. If you are going to be seeing a teacher, ask if you can do the sitting to standing exercise. We all know how to sit down and stand up. We can all do it smoothly/fluidly in one motion. Most of us don't do it correctly. There is a proper way to move your body using AT - one that feels more natural, effortless, and smooth. Your teacher can guide you to sit correctly, then stand up correctly and when you do, you will feel the difference. It is a subtle, yet very big difference in how your body moves and it just feels right. You don't really realize how much stress an everyday action/position causes on your body until you feel how it is to do that same thing with a fraction of the effort/stress.

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?

Pies Jesu Domine *whack*
Dona eis requiem *whack*

Come join us and chat - we're bored! irc.newnet.net #homeofpoi

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
What Elanna said!

I came across Alexander techique maybe 30 years ago. It is excellent. It was developed originally to help with vocal production and it has been around for years. Not a new age faddy thing, quite well established.
When I hurt my back badly in 1990 it became something that helped me through. Go for it!
HUGS to you Rob
xxx
G

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
Have you tried massage Rob? Or the back doctors...Osteopaths? Let us know how you get on with the AT, I'm quite interested in it.. hug

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: burningoftheclaveyHave you tried massage Rob? Or the back doctors...Osteopaths? Let us know how you get on with the AT, I'm quite interested in it.. hug

Alexander technique is not something you just receive passively like a massage or osteopathy. It is retraining your kinaesthetic and postural senses to be able to live and move with minimal effort and eliminating the sorts of unconscious long term 'stress positions' that many of us live within... which lead to breakdown of function and eventually
'but I was only ......' injuries. It goes perfectly alongside relaxing and realigning techniques..I'd even say those things are a waste of money if our entrenched habits just pull us into bad shape again.
Cheers
G

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
aaah.. i see cheers for the info gabe. smile

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Art-Changing-Exploring-Alexander-Relationship/dp/1853981303

any suggestions...?
back feeling much better after a week of lying in semisupine, and also of noting body habits....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Books are descriptive of the generality, but AT really needs to be done with a practitioner/trainer...who can see what your particular habits are. One of the key points of Alexander technique is that we can not judge what is correct /healthy in our own posture and movement as we are so habituated to the stress positions that they feel 'normal'. There are also emotional releases that can happen when we open and re align... defending against these can keep us locked in as well.
but overall, go for it, it is REALLY useful stuff.