Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
^^^Very fun! I haven't actually learned new things in a long time. I need to find something I want to learn.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1287256690)

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: SpinnerofDetroit^^^Very fun! I haven't actually learned new things in a long time. I need to find something I want to learn.

make something up tongue2 Its what I like to do most the time now. I found videos are only good for so long and so much, so at that point I took it into my own hands to develop and create.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah about that, I am not exactly creative xD I've seen things that are cool, but I try and learn them and they're just not fun. I've came up with some things but nothing too exciting and it's been quite a while smirk

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well i would learn everything i could regardless of it is fun or not because the more stuff you learn the more you can break down and make new stuff oh and why not try hybrids they are very challenging and gratiffying (its probabaly mispelled dont care right now)
EDITED_BY: Midkiff (1287265143)

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
I do know hybrids. On mondays at fire guild practices we have mirrors so I could learn bth hybrids. I've also been working on hybrids where my left poi isolates. To be honest I miss the feeling of being a beginner learning new things all the time. Which I think is nice that I'm learning to shuffle because I'm a terrible dancer and it should be nice to be getting better for a while. Along with learning rope dart, contact juggling, devil stick... You know what I mean laugh3

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Plane shifting quarter time antispin tomfoolery!

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Simple, but funky: split-opp/split-opp antispin flower, except instead of both hands extending out to make overlapping petals at the sides, one hand extends out to the side, and the other does a linear isolation through the vertical center line, making the poi line up head to hand at the sides.

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
This is probably not an advanced move but I just learned those same time opposite direction caps in the wheel plane, took forever cuz I have a really hard time with caps and I AM SO HAPPY RIGHT NOW!!!!
I feel like I have rainbows in my tummy ^,^

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
just learned a split time same direction meltdown toss with a handswap

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

David_Thomas1SILVER Member
journeyman
88 posts

Posted:
i cant learn anything lately my flow seems so off!

2,280 posts

Posted:
Try something different for a bit smile Like a different toy or maybe try glowsticks or something. I started learning more glowsticking stuff when I hit a plateau in poi and I loved it smile

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Came up with some cool hybridy type stuff I've never seen before. One of them actually looks pretty cool. Then I found out I can do carryovers and do these stalls that I learned to do out of a Tri foil flower with each other. I like it a lot. Then just playing with stalls where they aren't normally stalled. Lots of fun movements.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Worked out a few relatively simple patterns combining bits of flowers, pendulum CAPs, and floats. Nothing too crazy, but fun, and they make for some more visually interesting timing and direction changes than some other stuff I use.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Yay! Does this mean more videos?

Have been cleaning up stall-switches, or whatever they end up being called. Got a nice version where you do an opposed stall and then do an extension across the top and floater along the bottom, switch and go back.

Also general transitions and such.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

2,280 posts

Posted:
This weird utl weave related thing

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Pix or it didn't happen.

2,280 posts

Posted:
laugh3 next video maybe if I remember. But... after many months of practice I FINALLY LEARNED STRAIGHT JACKETS!!! bounce2

liquidtrancei dream in circles...
336 posts

Posted:
some really interesting atomic plane shifting in quarter time using pendulums, antispin and point isolations to transition, related to L atmomic plane patterns, fascinating...
(thanks charlie, drex, christian&baz smile )
EDITED_BY: liquidtrance (1295397353)

even chuck norris can't pin you down if your on fire

2,280 posts

Posted:
1 handed introverted atomic weave. nuff said

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
learned a nice throw combo both poi are spinning same direction split time from right to left (havent got it down good enough to do it the other direction yet) and you throw your left poi under your right arm and as you are catching your left poi you throw your right poi and you swap your left poi to the right hand and as soon as you catch the poi with your left hand you throw it under the right leg and your right poi wraps on your right leg into butterfly and you throw your right poi under your right leg sorry its kind of a long combo but it made me excited

CalibudGOLD Member
φωτιά
49 posts

Posted:
behind the back weave turns

started working on the forward behind the back and moving and it just clicked.

Orphanscientist
10 posts

Posted:
Finally exploring perpendicular plane shifts...they feel awesome!

...___-`-___-`-__The most common form of motion in the universe is oscillation_-`-___-`-__...

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
just thought of something yesterday and it works pretty good its a upwards float point isolation then a downwards float from the exact same spot it floated up from

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well finally learned how to do a butterfly waistwrap and to switch arms while doing a crosser smile

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Midkiff: I assume you have something more complicated than just uncrossing and recrossing them?

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well that is just something i have never learned how to do and it will lead to more stuff for me to learn eventually

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Fair enough. I thought it might be something different.

*should actually play with some variations on changing crossers*

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I found a way of getting into a stall switch from split-same. Will try post a video in the next few days. Prod if I do not and you are interested. smile

I think I may have worked out an entry into straightjackets while playing with a fountained barrel roll. Although I see no need to tie myself into knots, so I might be wrong. tongue2

Also, I like my face and this is going to take me right under the chin if I get it wrong....

EDIT: OK, so it does work, but Since I can not work out the mechanics for getting it to keep spinning, I only have the entry at this point.

Basically, do a barrel roll, bring it up and around to the other side of your body. If you stop your body during that movement, one poi should be outside your arms, and one will be coming up the inside. Follow the one coming inside and you should end up in a straightjacket position.
EDITED_BY: aston (1300919643)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
It's not actually that interesting, but I finally figured out the mechanics of atomic weave turns. So, yay. Other than that, been playing with stall chaser variants, head catches, contact... Not really making any progress on much interesting, though smirk

2,280 posts

Posted:
I just learned something new!!! I got it from 3stringing so you need 3 poi. Now imagine a 2bt weave, but your right hand (or left, just the hand you use 2 poi with), have the second poi bouncing side to side on your hips. I's a weird atomic thing and it looks censored amazing!!!

Page: ...