Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
wow! props on learning that. sounds way hard.

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Was just spinning and accidentally came across an atomic wall plane flower. Left hand is inward spinning diamond flower, right hand is outward floor plane. Arms moving in opposites meeting on the sides.

Otherwise nothing particular apart from better staggering stalls. I've been focusing on my timing and placement of my poi the most. Also sense I cant find anything on the internet that interest me when it comes to new movements and patterns, I have been playing with my own ideas a lot more. I have been incorporating the shape of my flowlights into moves.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

TechSpecnewbie
40 posts

Posted:
Would be interested in seeing a video of this since I enjoy Atomics.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: TechSpecWould be interested in seeing a video of this since I enjoy Atomics.

Is a cell phone video with flowlights acceptable? Really my own camera at disposal unless I set something up. Also know that I only know the slightest bit of atomics, but I do have good plane control, so I think it looks good tongue2

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Turning with atomic antispin flowers.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
learned somethin new the other day dont know whats its called if its called anything at all but its reverse butterfly in wallplane then both hands antispin for 3 petals and have like a thread the needle feeling when you do it for multiple beats and multibeat thread the needle in split-time still havin troubles with split time butterfloops but it will work out the more i mess with it and also triquetras now only to learn how to do it from left to right and then switch to right to left and the other direction etc etc
EDITED_BY: Midkiff (1286092936)

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Did my first waist wrap! Also figured out a weird stall carryover thing that keeps the poi at right angles during the arc. There was something else, but I guess I must not have found it very interesting compared to these two tongue2

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

TechSpecnewbie
40 posts

Posted:
Orbitrals......evil orbitals.......I finnally can do orbital stalls....those things are evillllll evelllll

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
What are orbital stalls? Not that thing I visited and never figured out many moons ago is it?

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I've seen the thing where you suddenly give an orbital a lot of slack to slow it down, then snap it back into an orbital, called an orbital stall. That maybe?

TechSpecnewbie
40 posts

Posted:
butterfloooooops

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I love butterfloops! What else could I use as an example of a move that's both difficult to learn *and* completely useless? ;p

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
The btb thread the needle would qualify

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

TechSpecnewbie
40 posts

Posted:
Actually I don't know if it's completely useless since after messing around with it you can change the point of cross over on the chain resulting in different size butterflies and butterflies at different positions. Not to mention it's a really easy way of changing the "apparent" poi direction without to much notice and makes an easy way of getting into on oversized butterfly.

I don't really believe in useless moves.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I guess I did just find one fun thing with a butterfloop. Get the tangle in and catch the heads on the back of your wrists. Then twist one hand forward and kick them out into split-same so they come out of the tangle.

sbengeGOLD Member
oddball
20 posts

Posted:
Just got split direction throws into basic CAPs
And then numerous other throw transitions dam they're fun =D
Also horizontal CAP's and been working on 3D flower which are a huge amount of fun
EDITED_BY: sbenge (1287023538)
EDIT_REASON: Forgetfulness and spelling mistakes

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I'm only starting to get horizontal opposite direction CAPs. Which feel weird, but probably don't look all that cool. Still, one more way to manipulate the CAP stall points... Congrats on the split direction throw thingy--those throws are my new bane ever since I got my btb weaves tongue2

TechSpecnewbie
40 posts

Posted:
got waist wraps down tonigh never actually screw around with them....as well as contact juggling stalls on the outside of the elbow... "P

sbengeGOLD Member
oddball
20 posts

Posted:
I didn't find them too difficult my bane is still anything to do w/ btb stuff apart from throws

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I can never get the timing right. By the time the one I whip down is back to my hand, the one I'm flicking up is pointing straight out in front of me. I can usually catch it anyway with the power of speed, but I think I've pulled it off properly like once or twice.

sbengeGOLD Member
oddball
20 posts

Posted:
Are you going into them same or split time

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Same, generally. Never tried split, for some reason...

sbengeGOLD Member
oddball
20 posts

Posted:
I'm going same time and it seems to work for me
But maybe see if it helps using slightly off timing you never know what will happen
Looking forward to trying them with fire if the wind and rain depart this evening

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I love fire throws. Having the flame just stop on a point in mid-air is one of my favorite visual effects (you especially get it with counterweighted handles)... I probably just need to practice the split throws more. But they're being slow to come together compared to even my bth throws.

sbengeGOLD Member
oddball
20 posts

Posted:
I agree completely fire throws are just so lovely to play with and having counterweighted handles really does help. I've also been having alot of fun with just catching them across the wrist and then unwrapping them letting them flick up into the air and then catching them again

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I've started to play recently with two handed wibbling moves and the weird wibbly-wrap stuff Nulleamai plays with in his most recent tech blog. I've also been experimenting with body wibbles (executing the wibble off the arm or shoulder or leg), but those can be tricky to get the leverage just right. Fun, stuff, though; I have a dream of being able to bounce my poi around my body with wibbly style moves, which I don't know if it can be done, but it'd rock.

Paddington BearSILVER Member
118 posts

Posted:
i havnt seen said video but does he bring his hand up into the chain and it wraps around his hand?

fire is alive. it lives and breathes. it consumes and destroys. but we control it and live with it, we are fire dancers

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Hard to describe it. I'll just show it:

The thing I have in mind is around 0:35.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Just finally got hands-together isolation vs. cat eye. And you know what? It's ugly even compared to poi split-same, hands together-opp cat eye vs iso. I guess I'll learn it in the other direction anyway...

tytyBRONZE Member
Not as fireproof as he thinks
22 posts

Posted:
Pendulum transition from crosser extensions to butterfly crosser extensions that Alien Jon did in his crosser extension video.

Page: ...