Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Someone I spin with can do that barrel roll continuously. It's pretty nuts.

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
Is the barrel roll that beatswitch roll thing that Nevisoul does? Also I do it a lot as well laugh3 One of my favorites. I've only tried doing it around 5 times. I don't remember if I just stopped or it flopped. That I would have to get back to you on.

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
I have always been confused about what exactly a barrel roll is. To my knowledge its when both your arms are doing an extension same direction and you just go in a straight line.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh I call that whirling. I can do that nonstop in place, in a straight line, in a circle, in place but planes rotating, you name it haha. Also I can now switch into antispin while whirling, i can also switch each hand independently, which is how I learned to do it with both. I love things like that and Im surprised I didn't do it in that last video I did, no flowers I mean.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Not talking about whirling. Talking about the part of an inverted weave where you isolate your poi around your arms. Otherwise my reply would be a total non sequitur. tongue2

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
This barrel roll in poi does have a take-off like in modern/lyrical dance right? I'd be hesitant on the take-off without having poi shortened unless it's different than what I know as a barrel roll...

*think it would be more accurately dubbed as a leap of faith*

Also as sloppy as they are, I have managed the buzzsaw flower and butterfly crosser! grin

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Oh thats a barrel roll? I can do that constantly as well. It's just like an isolated buzzsaw, except your arms are kinda crossed like that. Well I should say that, it feels like an isolated buzzsaw, kind of.
EDITED_BY: SpinnerofDetroit (1281680525)

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I'm working on it, but either my planes explode, or they drop out of isolation and wrap around my arms. Which is weird, since my isolated buzzsaw is pretty clean.

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah it's kind of different. Its similar to learning to isolate with your arms crossed.

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
To put it simply, Left poi outward diamond flower with horizontal linear extension from right to left. During linear extension I pendulum my left poi match my hand to my poi. Fun fun

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Some atomic plane change stuff, a few things I ripped off from Rastaxel, managed to pull off a couple of horizontal cat-eyes, albeit briefly.

Need to work on being more fluid with some of this stuff, though. I've sort of been practicing under the "okay, standing, doing this trick, and then standing again" principle.
EDITED_BY: Sister Eleven (1283452040)
EDIT_REASON: Because I keep forgetting parts of sentences today.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
A few fun transitions. Pendulum vs. triquetra (head-hand) to static spin vs. extension; outward butterfly, horizontal stall, isolation vs. extension hybrid. Snake btb to front, triquetra vs pendulum hybrid. Static spin vs. extension to together-opp isolation vs. cat-eye. (My audience seems to love static spin/isolation vs. extension, so I'm playing around with it more).

Also getting more versatile with my split time ttn, and finally have the hang of floor plane flower stalls (can stall at arbitrary points, switch between in-spin, antispin, same direction and opposite, etc.).

sbengeGOLD Member
oddball
20 posts

Posted:
I've been cleaning up my goofy flowers started work on horizontal CAPS and stalls and am starting to feel confident with my propellors.

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
im bad with names of stuff sometimes and explaining tricks so sorry if this doesnt make sense.
ok so i just learned thiss sweet move its like, you go into a split time pendulum where they are crossing in front of eachother on every other stall, and when they go to cross eachother instead of letting them stall and switch direction you bring them up into really high floats, like above your head, and then when they reach the top you do that helicopter move where you spin your body and the poi follows to make a horizontal circle above your head.

thought it was a cool little trick.

to spin or not to spin, that is the question.

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I like. There's a variation Rastaxel does that you might want to try. It's at about 0:40 on this video:

(I also recommend watching the entire video, it's solid gold.)

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
clap i just got so many ideas and have so much more stuff to learn now cuz of that vid haha. hes a really great spinner. amazing control and flow. i think i might have to make room for a third faveorite spinner after seeing more of his stuff haha
and that was a sick variation on that move. that dudes like a ninja

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Yeah. That is a good video for looking for stuff. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
i can do a polyrhythm flowers now they are a tad sloppy but am working that out but to better explain what i have learned my right hand spins in reverse and my left hand spins forwards and my arms are in same direction forward spin and my right hand does a 3 petal antispin and my left hand does a 2 petal spin

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
There is no 2 petal antispin... theres 2 beats, 3 petals.

3 beats being a 4 petal flower ^_^

That might help you out with your timing a bit.

hug

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Cat-eyes are arguably two petal antispins. But we've had this discussion already.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
*snigger*

I remember that....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Midkiffmy left hand does a 2 petal spin i didnt say 2 petal anti spin now did i and if you want to be technical a cat eye is actually a type of static spin because it is considered to have 0

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

2,280 posts

Posted:
It would not be a static spin, a static spin is when your hand does not move. A cateye is considered an antispin isolation.

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
well you know what i mean it has 0 petals as a antispin and such

2,280 posts

Posted:
Yeah I knew what you meant, you just had that one thing wrong tongue2

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Apologies for the mix up earlier, Midkiff, I spose I didn't read it properly.

I'd be calling a cateye a 1 petal antispin, since "petal" is a visual term.... and there is indeed... one loop.

Without a cross point, it can't create a second visual loop.

hug

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Also, Midkiff, have you tried a 4 petal antispin flower and a two petal prospin flower?

They can make a lovely, symmetrical pattern that feels quite nice.

It should also work somewhat better trying to learn it, since both the 4 petal antispin and the 2 petal prospin have 3 beats.

hug

MidkiffBRONZE Member
shadow stranger
462 posts

Posted:
yes i have done it to on accident while doing the other one but i plan on learning all sorts of polyrhythm flowers with different beats and such cuz i think it would be cool to be doing the normal flower and all of a sudden go from normal flowers to polyrhythm flowers i think it would look awesome

poismylovepoi addict
196 posts

Posted:
just learned meltdowns on the wall plane and am getting the hang of them nicely,still need to figure out how to do them on the wheel plane or whatever its called, i really like going from a meltdown into a 360 extension with a pirrouete or 2ptl prospins makes me feel all happy energetic bounce2

TechSpecnewbie
40 posts

Posted:
One handed corckscrew, into a one hand'd cartwheel while doing the corckscrew, and coming still in a corkscrew.

Page: ......