Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > The Poi "I just learned a new advanced move / combo" thread

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Notcomelan3 turning,

that has wall plane similar to inversion.

lightning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
owner of the group property
1,277 posts

Posted:
Aha, now I see the wrap. Fun. I need to think about wraps more...

p|.q|r:|::s|.s|s:|:.s|q.|:p|s.|.p|s

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
-hands opposite, poi paralle 360's
-Weave with hands joined by wrists
-triquetra

ninja

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Split-same in wall plane, stall out horizontally, pendulum in towards sternum, spin out on floor plane, stall behind back, split-same btb wall plane, stall vertically, pull out wheel plane to front of body.

If I can get my wheel plane btb stalls clean, I'll have pretty much all the in-spin plane transitions down. Whee!

EpitomeOfNoviceGOLD Member
Putting the "FUN" in fundamental since 1981
787 posts

Posted:
I can CAP now! Wow!

grin

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

(All you RLers this is epitome_of_lame *waves hello*)

SpinnerofDetroitGOLD Member
All High Dude, Ruler of What You Want
2,280 posts

Posted:
I can do some really cool handle changes with glowsticks grin

The only luck is bad luck.

Shut up before I stall my poi up your ass grin

triptricianSILVER Member
UFO Spotting
350 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceI can CAP now! Wow!

grin

Nicely done EoN: the only thing i can manage to CAP is myself in the earhole when i attempt them

would rather have a bottle-in-front-of-me than a frontal lobotomy

"The dangers of life are infinate and among them is safety"(geothe)

2,280 posts

Posted:
Woohoo! Go EoN! CAPs are so much fun, you can do so much with them grin Also they helped me learn changing the direction of my arms while spinning and in that aspect they're censored sweet!

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: EpitomeOfNoviceI can CAP now! Wow!

grin

good show! They're really fun and flexible, especially because they have some interesting stall points. But don't be like me and use them to death!

Smurf24029GOLD Member
Poi Master Smurf
343 posts

Posted:
Initially I found CAPs really limiting, but as I progressed found there are quite a good many possibilities.

Fly High
Spin Hard
Don't Stop

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Got wrap-around catches for forward in-spin throws, and a hand-swapping double in-spin throw thing (if spinning split same counterclockwise, throw with right hand, then the left a half beat later, catch the first poi with the left hand, the second with the right). Now I need to get hand-swapping in-spin throws in butterfly...

787 posts

Posted:
Thanks much guys I'll try not to overuse them, I think I'm finally figuring what areas of the more techy stuff work with my dancing.

New one: I can now airwrap with my chains and get 5 in a row flawless (not only socks anymore, I think it deserves to be posted! LOL).

~Rock on!~

"As the pattern gets more intricate and subtle, being swept along is no longer enough"-Waking Life

787 posts

Posted:
BTB Forward Butterfly from Reverse Butterfly! Somehow it happened when goofing off last night saying I can't do BTB anything with a friend and some how did it.

Then I said if I try it again it won't happen... and I did it...

Then said this has gotta be a flukes and tried again and I did it again!!!

I think my body is letting me know advancing is finally natural at this point with how clean and ingrained everything else is in my muscle memory. smile

~Rock on!~

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Butterfly low reel with anti-spin extension hybrid.

what a long name wink

ninja

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure what the 5 one is, but the notcoleman3 is a 3bt weave where your poi, instead of doing one beat on their own side and two on the opposite side, spin twice on the opposite side and one through the buzzsaw plane between your arms. Shouldn't be too hard to find video.

T-S-ASILVER Member
Magic Monkey Juice
252 posts

Posted:
I havn't updated in agggeeessss.

Have recently been playing a lot with Hybrids:

Isolation / Extention + variations
Isolation / Antispin + variations
Isolation / Pendulum + variations

Not sure if it would be counted as a hybrid, but 2 petal in spin / 4 petal antispin flowers

Got vertical cat eyes down and am currently working on horizontal cat eyes. Been messing with other point isolation too (I think it's point isolations). Have been trying point isolation flowers too. Am currently enjoying 2x antispin petals + 2 point isolated petals.

Have just started scratching the surface of horizontal plane changes too. It's all a little sloppy, but I'm sure with a bit of practice I will get it sorted.

Just got into some contact poi too, which is fun, but I can't see me concentrating too hard on that at the moment.

Someone told me about "square flowers", I think it was antispun wallplane flower, then top (right hand for me) moving under your left hand to continue in wheel plane or something like that... Can anyone point me in the direction of any resources about them?
EDITED_BY: T-S-A (1278610895)

"We were making castles in the sand: Now we swim in the seas that swept them away"

2,280 posts

Posted:
I just learned how to use a pendulum to go from a crosser extension to a hybrid crosser extension. I've been itching at this one for a long time as I've wanted a good transition smile

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Kill hybrid crosser extensions! /vent

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
In other news, I managed a hybrid crosser extension tongue2 Now I just need to get the other directions, even though failure always takes the form of being hit in the face.

TeamoGOLD Member
Almost again
124 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenI'm not sure what the 5 one is, but the notcoleman3 is a 3bt weave where your poi, instead of doing one beat on their own side and two on the opposite side, spin twice on the opposite side and one through the buzzsaw plane between your arms. Shouldn't be too hard to find video.
I thought that was the buzzsaw weave. But I don't know what a notcoleman3 really is, so I wouldn't really know. They might be the same thing. Here's a video where Insignia refers to them both, suggesting that they're different:

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
ehm.. [Old link]

ninja

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
If you read the comments, Jon corrects him on the terminology. Buzzsaw weave and notcoleman3 are the same thing, and what Insignia calls a "notcoleman3" is a "wrong weave".

AlienJonGOLD Member
enthusiast
290 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Sister ElevenI'm not sure what the 5 one is, but the notcoleman3 is a 3bt weave where your poi, instead of doing one beat on their own side and two on the opposite side, spin twice on the opposite side and one through the buzzsaw plane between your arms. Shouldn't be too hard to find video.

Notcoleman5 is the same idea as the notcol3, but with a 2nd-degree wrist twist. It's a 5-beat where you cross over, untwist to 0-degree by making an inswing through buzzsaw frame with the arm on it's home side of the body (not across the body). You then continue to twist up to 2nd-degree (5-beat position) on that side, and do the same thing gong back... rinse, repeat.

+Alien Jon

2,280 posts

Posted:
YES IT CAME TO ME! I figured out that flower where one is prospin and the other antispin with hands split time same direction. It just came to me. each seperate flower has a different number of petals, but they have the same number of rotations because antispin flowers have 1 more petal than they do rotation. When I had that moment of excited realization, I went to the bug window with my flowlights and IT WORKED! This just made me really happy grin

787 posts

Posted:
I can buzzsaw weave and wrong weave (inverted weave I called it before, but it's a wrong weave) now! Not for long, but for a decent number of passes! grin Goofy flower is cleaning up too! yes

~Rock on!~

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Nice! I really struggle with wrong weaves. If you get it smoother, let me know how you do it!

2,280 posts

Posted:
I'm confused, what are wrong weaves?

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
They're a type of inside move. When both poi are on the same side of the body, the non-native poi spins once inside the arm.

[ Unregistered ]addict
413 posts

Posted:
Kinda "meltdown crosser".. I meen, butterfly low meltdown with cross-over.

good feel,

ninja

Sister ElevenGOLD Member
1,277 posts

Posted:
Atomic 3bt weave. Also trying to get this, I sort of stumbled across where the extra twists for a five beat would go, but I'll wait until I've actually got the 3bt down more naturally before I try that.

*reminds herself that she's still got her btb stuff and unit circle hybrids to be working on*

2,280 posts

Posted:
I FINALLY learned the inverted weave a couple days ago :3

Page: ......