Forums > Social Discussion > Anyone have the police called because you were spinning?

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Well 2 days before I was moving into my new apartment for school I was spinning fire outside. Well someone decided it was a good idea to call the cops even though just about everyone knows I do this stuff. Well the police and fire department show up at my house and im trying to figure out whats going on. Well they come up to me and im trying to explain to them what the hell fire spinning and poi is. I didn't even get into explaining my fire breathing. They ended up just leaving once i explained everything but they still wanted to search my yard and everything to see if everything was ok.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
The only time I have ever been stopped was a few years ago when apparently the local school was having a disco and someone had called the cops as they thought we were naughty kids on the loose. It was quite hilarious. We were all getting on perfectly well and respectfully assuring them we would not set fire to the trees (20 m away) that d60 fuel was non-explosive (have MSDS). The 'wise older one' was asking the questions and apparently absorbing the info as we showed him our toys when the 'dumb young one' suddenly piped up in all seriousness: 'Yeah, but I've got a gun'. It may as well have been a stun gun judging by our response. Oh lord, it was so hard not to burst out laughing. Basically they said they knew we were fine but could we stop please cos they had to respond if people called them (in case there actually were schoolkids mucking up) and they were rather busy that night. Fair enough.

A few months ago the cops came when we were spinning down by the river to tell us there were some hoons around and we should move our stuff off the roadway (dead end) in case they came down that way too fast and hurt us! I think in general around here the police realise that people like us doing active stuff in parks etc at night keeps it safer.
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1221009531)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

dawndreamPLATINUM Member
The answers lie on the horizon
35 posts

Posted:
We have been stopped many times in Vancouver and in Victoria over the years. When Lori (Luxotica) was running it/selling fire toys (maybe she is again?) and she got a permit to spin at Trout Lake on Wednesdays. We also decided to spin Sundays (This is back in 2005). After that year, we would regularly get shut down, but no one would get a new permit and take on the responsibility... and if we kept down the noise it was easier. Although Sundays were good this year, its not uncommon for the cops to come check on you.

Now, if we do it more randomly - like, we call each other, it tends to work a bit better for deterring police presence than having a regular day except that you can't invite newbies very often.
Victoria they switch spots every week and I was present for at least one break up of fire jams by police. never been too big of a deal though.

Happens every year.

foolosopher at your service!

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Why do they break you up? Is it fear of fuel or a more general *you're not watching TV you must be weird* kneejerk thing? And re 'keeping the noise down', ya, in my experience drumming attracts complaints far more than fire twirling.

gilimnewbie
37 posts

Posted:
Good rule of thumb, if the police show up for any reason, walk towards them....

In general they are trying to identify if you are being dangerous or stupid or drunk. In their subconscious, guilty people will either stand still and wait to be busted, or really guilty people will try to escape....

If you walk towards them and ask them how you can help, they generally want to talk and find out more about what your doing. Even cops get curious about awesome things like twirling smile

If you aren't drunk and can talk like an adult, they have done their duty in checking out the disturbance and making sure you are not a bunch of delinquents.

For them its a mix of liability and duty of care....give them a way to solve those issues and they'd rather keep on rolling than write up paperwork.

I haven't had any trouble with police for anything since I started using this technique.... Try it out, and post back.... This is brisbane australia, maybe cops in other places shoot people who walk towards them. It would be good for me to know tongue2
-sam

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
Our parks are definitely not closed, I checked city parks bylaws. There's a bylaw against camping, but there's nothing prohibiting a person from being in a park whenever they like.

Much like the Portland jam, our jam, which had been running for over four years, was shut down. It was done by city parks employees stating that we were holding an "event" ( more than six people ) and if we wanted to continue to use the park to hold our jams they wanted a damage deposit, proof of insurance, and a permit fee.

There was no problem about using the park after sunset. One certain section, yes, but that's a road to a lookout area.

This year, we tried the roving jams, and it worked well except for the noise complaints generated by the drumming which forced us to only invite drummers to a specific location where there's nobody in earshot. Problem, is it's a beach at the base of a cliff, and exposed to strong winds so it's one of those locations we sometimes have to abandon.

The incident with the police I mentioned upthread was the only time we've had the police called on us for spinning fire. the police have dropped by of their own accord several times, but since they weren't responding to a complaint, used their judgement aand let us continue.

The statement that the park was closed was a falsehood
The police had made their decision as soon as they approached us. Get these guys out of the park, lets turn on the condescension.

Why do they shut us down ?

I don't know ?

Spinning fire is something that looks like it should be illegal ?

dawndreamPLATINUM Member
The answers lie on the horizon
35 posts

Posted:
they broke us up because of liability, probably. If they come at all its because someone complained about noise or about fire. I have had fire trucks at one visit from the police...

Its not a big deal, they just want to see a permit. If someone can get one it makes these things a lot easier. Since I run the juggling club already twice a week, I won't take on the fire club as well... although I would like to attend.

*shrugs*

Dawn

foolosopher at your service!

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Stout roving jams, and it worked well except for the noise complaints generated by the drumming which forced us to only invite drummers to a specific location where there's nobody in earshot. Problem, is it's a beach at the base of a cliff, and exposed to strong winds so it's one of those locations we sometimes have to abandon.

I've said this in other threads but I'm over accommodating drummers at spinning things to be honest. I don't find 99% of drumming interesting to spin to anyway and they so often just make far reaching sonic pollution that people (justifiably) object to. They often seem to think they have a RIGHT to drum around firethings (gives them a purpose?). The rude boys who forced themselves on us at the EJC in Ireland a few years ago were the last straw for me.

Mind you, the quality 1% can be excellent indeed. Wunlove from Threeworlds were excellent at Uber..mixed with funky melodic, the African drumming was great. Made sure we were in the middle of acres of fields though!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I haven't had the policed called on me, however when at the Bournemouth spin a few years ago practicing Knife juggling they spotted me on CCTV came down and told me to stop because children may copy me frown they were satisfied I wasn't a danger but shut me down through fear of mimicry. Ironically they are fine about us using fire shrug

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I can't say I miss the drummers....a couple is fine, but once they reach that critical mass and get into that fast tempo drum soup, I find it hard to relate to them ( as a spinner )

One of the problems we have is the want to hold our jams in the city. Were everybody to have cars we could explore the idea of moving out to a location where we wouldn't bother anybody, but alas, another spanner in the works.

Every winter, we host indoor jams at a community center and we sometimes spin fire outside before we go in. There was never any problems until the drummers started in ( they we're invited to the indoor portion of the jam ) then the neighbours started complaining about the noise. They didn't call the police, but called the community center instead and we were asked "to keep the noise level down"...no problems with the fire though.

[aside] my Australian slang is coming along quite nicely thank you. so far this week I've learned sook and hoon....more please smile [/aside]

Page: