Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I'm wondering if anyone knows of a web site that shows pictures of aged Tattoos. There are hundreds and hundreds of brand new shiny clean edged tattoos but i can't seem to find any with aged tattoos on them. I want pictures to show someone how tattoos age and blur. If there is a site that shows photos of the tattoo new then it again say 5-10 years on that would be great.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me hug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
Well, I have heard that against bone is more sensitive. I have found that where the skin is tight against something it hurts a bit...for example along the tendon at the back of the ankle.

I have two tats, one around my ankle that I have had for about 3 years (? have to double check that ?) and a bigger one on my left thigh...all of my left thigh pretty much, that I have had for about 2 years. They both look the same as after healing. I still get complements on the color of the ankle piece. I'll post pics ASAP in the gallery (for an idea of the leg peice, check out my avatar). Update: pics now posted in my gallery.

Some suggestions:

Do your homework. Both in what you want to get and who is going to do it. I thought about both pieces long and hard before I got them. It's cliche, but it is going to be on you for the rest of your life (unless you are willing to shell out big bucks and lots of money to have it removed). I also asked around for shop/artist recommendations. I went to one shop that was highly recommended, looked around, got a quote and decided that the place didn't have the right vibe for me. Then I went to another highly recommended shop and as soon as I walked in the door and met the artists I knew that they would be doing my work. If you are not comfortable with any aspect of the shop or the person who will be doing your work, move on, it is not worth risking your health or your body.

You get used to the pain. The ankle piece took about 2.5 hours and was fine. The leg piece turned out to be bigger than I was planning on (but was necessary to get the detail and aspects that I wanted) and ended up taking about 24 hours over the course of 6 months. By the end I was nearly falling alseep during some appointments. Of course, every now and then there would be a spot where all of the sudden eek censored wow, it hurts. The pain is part of the experience. Live it and be happy with your new art!!!
EDITED_BY: JerryD (1125013648)

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

_khan_SILVER Member
old hand
768 posts

Posted:
well, you can't really see them close-up, but the tats visible in my pic (in my gallery; i'm wearing goggles in them) are 14, 12 and 9 years old. my tats have experienced little to no fading or spreading because i keep them out of the sun, and when i do expose them to sunlight (sometimes it's just too hot to keep a shirt on you know ;p) i slather them in sunscreen.

i find that most people who experience serious spreading or fading are not at all careful about sun exposure, allowing the tattooed skin to tan or even burn. sometimes it's due to a crappy tattooist, but mostly, the sun is the cause. of course fading will happen over time, but it can be drastically minimized with proper care and attention. the colors in my tats are still vivid, even more than ten years on.

taken out of context i must seem so strange
~ ani di franco

JerryDSILVER Member
136 posts

Posted:
Written by: blueboy

well, you can't really see them close-up, but the tats visible in my pic (in my gallery; i'm wearing goggles in them) are 14, 12 and 9 years old. my tats have experienced little to no fading or spreading because i keep them out of the sun, and when i do expose them to sunlight (sometimes it's just too hot to keep a shirt on you know ;p) i slather them in sunscreen.

i find that most people who experience serious spreading or fading are not at all careful about sun exposure, allowing the tattooed skin to tan or even burn. sometimes it's due to a crappy tattooist, but mostly, the sun is the cause. of course fading will happen over time, but it can be drastically minimized with proper care and attention. the colors in my tats are still vivid, even more than ten years on.

GREAT point, and one that I forgot to mention ubbloco Thanks for bringing it up, blueboy.

Though I didn't say it at all before, I cannot say it enough now...Sunscreen on your ink, sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen, ad nauseam.

I was touched by His Noodly Appendage

.:star:.SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,785 posts

Posted:
I just got back from the tattooists
biggrin bounce biggrin bounce2 biggrin
new star tattoos
piccy in my gallery

Pen DravenUnofficial Lord Of Confusion And Pirate Extrodinaire
1,363 posts

Posted:
Ohhh very pretty smile should be getting a new one myself in the next few weeks fingers crossed

Some men see things and say why....

I Dream of things that never were and say Why Not....?

Oh No I'm going to get Shot Alive if he finds out - DA wink

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Whilst looking for stuff about faded tattoos etc, i found this story which I found rather amusing! tee hee

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
oh star those are really pretty!

i'd like stars there too but i'm going to find something else that'll fit in with my overall sleeve design, since i have two stars in the general shoulder area already.

mmmm tattoos.

my oldest is about 2 years old and i've not noticed any serious fading - its just settled in and looks like it belongs. i use sunscreen on mine a lot but probably not enough.

tinklepants, how come you're letting your boyfriend make that decision for you? cliche but it is your body...yours...

i think a heart and crossbones is next...woopeee...

heyahoneyBRONZE Member
Redneck Woman
566 posts

Posted:
i just my fist two..
the first one on my foot, a frog with michelle's name under it
and the second one is a girl alien with jublees on my calf

i plan on getting my calf sleeved out
but never again opn my foot

Top Three Things I've Learn While Being A Mom
1. Baby poop comes in many colors.
2. Makes sure all dirty diapers are not accessable to my dog.
3. Burp rags are not big enough.

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
*Is still trying to save money (Get it first) to afford my next one frown

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

nearly_all_goneSILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,626 posts

Posted:
I've got 3 - one which is a copy of Richey from the Manics' one, a rose with a scroll on my left arm. I changed it to a blue rose, and across the scroll it says "OBLITERATE YOUR MEANING" (a deliberate misquote of a manics lyric).

The other 2 I have pictures of the designs for.

This is on my back, going up the base of my spine (hurt like buggery):

Non-Https Image Link

And this one is the little symbol of my old band, which I got on my right shoulder when we reformed last year:

Non-Https Image Link

What a wonderful miracle if only we could look through each other's eyes for an instant.
Thoreau

squarexbearSILVER Member
....of doom!
585 posts

Posted:
going to the shop on saturday *all smiles* so mike can talk about his sleeve and i can ask about things to go round my other skull + the heart and crossbones. which i think will happen in the next few weeks. i'm thinking the back of my arm just above the elbow. although there is the possibility it'll hurt like buggery...hurray.

CPlater1BRONZE Member
28 posts

Posted:
I know this is thread necromancy, but it is better to do this than start a new thread.

I am considering getting a tattoo, and so far I have worked out that it should be a phoenix with flames (found the design) about 6" long coming down from my right shoulder.

There are many reasons behind wanting that one (not just because it looks good) I'm slightly nervous about getting one, but it isn't for a while yet.

If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it most probably is a duck!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I personally enjoy the feeling of getting tattoos... The outline will always sting a bit, but after that all it feels slightly numb and strange.

The shoulder isnt too bad a place to get it, there are surely worse places, though if it goes toward the spine it could sting a bit. (Not that that should deter you anyway, it honestly isnt as bad as a lot of people tend to make out, there really is no way you can say that the whole experience was 100% pleasurable)

If you want more of an opinion of that, I'd tend to steer clear of flames and get a nice simple black design and thats based on two things...

One is that I just don't like coloured tats in general, they just don't feel like they could ever quite be a part of my body like a black tattoo could. (100% personal)

And the other is that colour tends to fade and may end up looking dodgy, but a black tat will just go that bluey gray colour which is fine by me since its about the outline, not the colours anyway.

Another thing i'll throw in about choice is that I've always got many many reasons tied to each of my tats so that they'll always have meaning to me, even if circumstances change.

Good luck with the inking!

hug

bodhisattvaSILVER Member
my body is a tattooed temple
366 posts

Posted:
i started mine 15 years ago and now am close to full body suit (just insides of legs and about 5" stip of stomach left )As mother natures son says its not all been nice , boney bits (ribs , spine , hip bones )have been quite nasty . my most painful bit was my upper back (but i think thats cause of some muscle damage from an accident i had ).What you have to remember is if it hurt really bad there wouldn't be people like me with loads of tattoos , everybody would just have one .

when the body is happy the mind smiles

to live a single day and hear a good teaching is better than to live a hundred without hearing such teaching

and everything is measured by the hole it leaves behind

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I actually really like the feeling after the outline is done. After each one I'm plotting what the next will be... if I just had it my way I'd probably end up similar to bodhisattva, but Primary teaching just won't allow that sort of stuff... and probably the fact that I like each one to have its own breathing room...

Each one has special significance that radiates through me at the best of times... they give me support when I'm feeling low and I can channel through them when I'm feeling high... its somewhat like totems, I guess.

hug

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Editing posts not working??? Says the time has expired but its been not long at all, really.

Umm, I forgot to include the point in my ramble... the point is that with the pain and discomfort I do experience for the hour or whatever I'm sitting for the tatt, I get so, so much more power, a power to bring joy, sweep away sadness... a power stronger than any pain and it lasts for a lot longer than an hour, thats for sure.

Just make sure you're happy with the symbol you're getting, make sure how it looks helps with the symbolic meaning, make sure its a look you're happy with, make sure everything about the meaning is 100% what you want.

Its mostly about the first few rather than the last since you've said you have a few reasons for getting it, not just cos it looks cool.

Just an example which I've already dropped in this thread I always have a deeper, personal meaning and a meaning tied to the surface.

All mine are in just black ink because I feel colour detracts from the meanings of my which are essentially all very simplistic, but powerful.

Hey, boddhisattva, might I ask the system behind your tattoos? Is it a journal or something like that?

Oh, and when I say "feeling high" I mean the opposite to feeling low, not intoxication. :P

hug

bodhisattvaSILVER Member
my body is a tattooed temple
366 posts

Posted:
i think maybe it is as i seem to get more at major changes in my life .Its all japanese, the left side is dragons the right side is demons and they are joined across my back by koi carp (which still have 4 more hours to do ). I've got bio-mech left sleeve and bio right sleeve . Also i have my ironman tattoo which marks a great achievement in my life. I can remember when i got each so it probably is a journal .

when the body is happy the mind smiles

to live a single day and hear a good teaching is better than to live a hundred without hearing such teaching

and everything is measured by the hole it leaves behind

Page: