fireflyfaeriejourneyman
73 posts

Posted:
ive just started devil stick....and am rele uber eagar to learn shizz...but i know of no websites and the only guy i know who can do it well is in austraila for a month and im rele impatient when it comes to things like this haha...

so anyone got any hints? tips? tricks??

i can get the basic pendulem swing and in the sorta circular motion..and i can swing the devil stick from one handle to the other..but thats all.
confused juggle cool smile

MikefromGlosSILVER Member
Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
lol i would say the best way to learn devilsticks is to go to a festival like play and do my devilstick workshops lol *thumbs up*

ummm try doing a google search there are a couple out there i cant remember any off the top of my head but thats just cuz it is one in the morning and i am uber tired.

thinking about it www.devilstick.de is a good site for begginers..

good luck and keep with it. it takes a while to get the hang of it then one day it will just click.

he he i am mike the amazing gloscircus person who is mike.

Officaly an exception to the Poi Boys are Girls Thing

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Best way to learn anything is patience, practice and watching good models. Check out youtube to find some people good at it to watch.

Try searching "devil sticks" or "flower sticks" and "tutorial" once you're feeling like more specific stuff.

I don't actually know much about devilsticks so I dunno the quality of this stuff but patience and practice is the best way to learn anything. smile

hug

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
the best way i found to learn to control the baton was to play "devil tag" (aka combat sticks... apparantly) where two or more people baisically try, using devil stick tricks, to throw the baton at each other. then the other person has to try and catch it using the control sticks and then throw it back. i learned most of what i know about devil sticks from this game, mainly by accident but hey it worked

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
biggrin We play a similar game... You can use any means necessary to make the opponent drop or lose his baton... You have to be pretty handy to keep it going, and it can get painful! We only use flower sticks 'cause a streamlined club to the face isn't my cuppa tea!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
there is actually a sport where there is a net in the middle of two teams called jollystick it gets very intersting should do a jolleystick world cup i think

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Oooh, nice!

My first set of devil sticks (which are now in another country) were a set of YoHo ones - shoddy construction yes, but they came with an instructional cd that Ifound invaluable as a beginner. Also, you can find pretty much anything on YouTube!

Kupo!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
We are having a devil stick group at UberOz3 smile And I have loads and loads of them to play with (Yoho ones)

Jarle there is insane footage of you on the 2UberOz DVD playing with what looks like a fire devil stick and a piece of cloth??? What the!!! ubbloco

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Huh? Oh, if it's shot in the Scout hall I know what you're talking about. If not, I'll have to find that doppelganger and teach him a thing or two... about devil sticks, yeah...

*hides from raised eyebrows*

Kupo!

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Nah it was at the fire night. You're blonde, no? (and I don;t just mean your memory)

Hitman
985 posts

Posted:
i wish i could find the only decent bit of me doing devilsticks. it was shot at play but i forgot to get the camera women email... damn drunkeness

DaGGOLD Member
Golf buggie driving instructor
156 posts

Posted:
 Written by :newgabe

Nah it was at the fire night. You're blonde, no? (and I don;t just mean your memory)

That was me ubbrollsmile

thanks for the compliment biggrin
EDITED_BY: DaG (1219473895)

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by :DaG

Written by :newgabe

That was me ubbrollsmile
thanks for the compliment biggrin

Oops
Jarle redface
Nice one Daniel!

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
My advice? Don't start. I had one for a while, and it drove me crazy. I practiced every afternoon for a month and still couldn't get the hang of anything. but if you want help, the higgens brothers have a nice dvd that covers many juggling props, including devilsticks. Try investing in that.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: frer3My advice? Don't start. I had one for a while, and it drove me crazy. I practiced every afternoon for a month and still couldn't get the hang of anything.

Sort of a counter-productive answer, yes? People earn at different speeds and different props may come more naturally to some than others.

fireflyfaerie: I never been able to pull off more than a shaky propellor with one control stick, but have seen some pretty sweet stuff from other people. Give youTube a go, otherwise, that game sounds like fun. wink

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
I'll try to finally some tutorial video's in the next week or so. I've got very little to do so I have no excuse really.