Forums > Advanced Poi Moves > Flowers: my geeky contribution!

Login/Join to Participate

peteybstranger
11 posts

Posted:
Dear All-

As a spotty scientist type I built this little spreadsheet to help me better understand flowers. Now that it's done I figured it'd be a shame not to share it! Suggestions for improvements etc gratefully received...

Pete

https://www.megaupload.com/?d=AYJD1R6E

or

https://rapidshare.com/files/136843059/flowers.xls.html

rebel without a....

pause

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
cool neat idea, there's been some stuff like this before that had a really complicated name that I can't remember right now...

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
rapidshare link isnt working for me, could you put it up on www.zshare.net aswell?

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

peteybstranger
11 posts

Posted:
bloomin' computers! Sorry about that, try the megaupload link above (I couldn't get zshare to work I'm afraid). Pete.

rebel without a....

pause

RosherrimSILVER Member
stranger
7 posts

Posted:
Wow, this is brilliant- really gives you some fresh ideas of different flower combinations to try, thanks for posting this!

peteybstranger
11 posts

Posted:
You're welcome - I don't feel like so much of a div for wasting an hour of my life making it, and consequently missing last orders at the chip shop!

rebel without a....

pause

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hey, I dig it, I've had a quick play around, now I don't have to work out the digits off the offset and that kind of thing on the spirograph programs! Woo!

But why is it that when you increase the relative arm speed to really high numbers it comes out with the effect it does? What value is "relative arm speed" and is there any circumstance in which it does anything but make the line thicker or kaleidoscopic as it does at high numbers?

hug

peteybstranger
11 posts

Posted:
Hehe - you've found a bit of a bug there! Now I think about it I realise that for a static time-averaged picture like this, it doesn't make a jot of difference if the arms are going at different speeds. The reason is that that the ratio of poi to arm speed is already defined, as is the starting position; mathematically that is all you need. So I ought to remove that bit altogether.

I limited the calculation (in the 'Data' page, if you're interested) to a relatively small number of

time increments in order to prevent the thing getting really slow. If you put in say, 1.23 poi revolutions per arm revolution you'd expect to see pretty much solid colour because you don't come back into plase for many many revolutions. But only the first few revolutions actually get plotted so you get something that looks a bit weird. Similarly if you put in a high arm speed you get a large angular change for every finite time increment - and it goes from being a smooth path to a jumpy dot-to-dot effect.

So that's something for me to sort out! Cheers for looking :-)

Pete
EDITED_BY: peteyb (1218796050)

rebel without a....

pause

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
cheers, the mega link worked smile

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Pretty sweet....

Going to have to try some of the stuff I could make. smile

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the reply peteyb, that makes sense to me. ^_^... I think.

Anyone found any patterns they hadn't expected? All mine have been pretty boring...

hug

bentforkxGOLD Member
Should I be spinning around my poi, or should my poi be spinning around me???
42 posts

Posted:
OK, now THAT is totally SPIN-Tastic!!!!!
EDITED_BY: bentforkx (1218949252)

Spinning makes the world go round

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
I got a really arb one that I think is a glitch in Open Office.

I also doubt that it is possible....

peteybstranger
11 posts

Posted:
I've been surprised by how effective it is to have one chain longer than the other on an antispinflower. Simple but effective.

Also, it looks like you can get a pretty much perfect polygon (square, pentagon etc) if you make the chains really short on an antispin. Not sure how easy it would be to actually do it though!

Thanks for posting all your comments folks - it brings a glint to my nerdy eyes :-)

rebel without a....

pause

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Haha, the polygon couldnt really be done without burning your hands, I don't think.

Yeah, I'd thought of having one shorter than the other, but there was a HoPper who had pictures up of such a thing, so I'd already seen it. I can't for the life of me remember anything about it that will give me an effective search...

I dunno, it is pretty groovy anyway... but I never really have tried it while spinning, I'll do it next time I whirl flames.

What was the impossible one, aston?

Left arm (red) Right arm (green)
spin anti
180 0
0 0
105% 75%
5 3
1 1
0 0
0 0

Is one that I really quite liked... it'd be difficult, but I think I'll have a go at it... I doubt I'd be able to very precisely get the percentages, but could look good anyway.

hug

astonSILVER Member
4,061 posts

Posted:
Do not remember now exactly which one it was.

Spin anti
180 0
180 0
50% 50%
3 4
1 1

Does a similar thing though.

Like I said, I think it is Open Office Calc not plotting points correctly. Will try excel at the labs at some point.

DyamiTKGOLD Member
beginner forever
159 posts

Posted:
wow, this is awesome! I've been drawing these sort of flower variations on paper but this is much easier to play with. Could you explain to me how the functions behind this simulation works? I want to make more types of poi simulations. I'd like to make an interactive version of Alien Jon's simulations at some point as well.

peteybstranger
11 posts

Posted:
hiya- thanks for the comment but I'm sure your hand drawn flowers have much more artistic merit than some boring computer display :-)

Regarding the functions behind the spreadsheet, how complicated it is depends on how well you remember your highschool maths! Basically it's a pair of parametric trigonometric graphs - one for each arm. It uses the principle that 'x' = r cos theta and 'y' = r sin theta. To get flowers, two x terms are added together: one for the centre of rotation (i.e. the hand) and one for head of the poi. Then the same thing is done for the y-coordinates.

Have a nosey at the 'data' worksheet to see if you can work it out...

Good luck :-) Pete

rebel without a....

pause