Forums > Other Toys > I need a cheaper meteor!!

Login/Join to Participate

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
I'm interested in purchasing a meteor hammer so I can diversify my performance options. I know that this site sells them, but I can't afford a $41 meteor. Especially after shipping has been added! It's $47 dollars!! Anybody know where I can get one for a better price?
((Also, a cheap copy of The Meteor Book would be nice too.))

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
make one. just get a good length of rope, tie some monkey fists in each end and there ya go.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
monkey fists can be painful if you are just beginning meteor.

my favorite homemade one uses foam rubber balls wrapped in electrical tape. they are dense enough for the needed weight and softer than a knotted rope. Also, try using a thinner diameter rope. I dont understand all the physics but a thinner rope has helped me in keeping the meteor straight more easily.

For that reason too, you could get HoP's 8mm rope meteor instead of the more expensive 10mm rope.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
If I'm making my own,
1) How much rope should I use?
2) Where do I get foam rubber balls?
3) How do I attach them to the rope?
4) What kind of rope should I use?

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
IMHO - $47 is cheap - if you want to buy decent thick rope you will be paying a lot per metre for it, and then you have to tie the knots yourself, the HOP one comes with awesome rope and you do not have to tie the knot yourself...

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
I'm with Pyrolific on this. I paid $60AU for my first meteor, and it was of shoddy construction. The HoP one IMO is great value for money, and worth saving up for.

Even so,
1) The total length of the meteor should be a bit longer than you are tall (open to debate), however I'm not sure how much rope a monkey fist knot takes. Nylon rope or polysash are both relatively strong and easy on the hands. (not too sure about the second name)
2) Not too sure about the foam balls, but remember that an increase in either weight or velocity will increase force, which means more pain - I'd suggest tying a monkey fist around a tennis ball or something similar. Alternatively, just a simple granny (shoelace) knot placed INSIDE a tennis ball should work.
3) Oops, already answered this one
4) Again, oops.

I wouldn't suggest getting the Meteor book. After playing with it myself for a few months I'd already eclipsed anything in there, and there are plenty of lessons on youtube worth hunting for.

Kupo!

KonstantinGOLD Member
journeyman
66 posts

Posted:
Cheappest would be simple rolled wicks
and ofc even more if you buy only a hangle and use it with your poi heads but if you're planning to use it to perform I think you should care more about quality

Konstantin

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Once again, I have a limited budget, and the merchandise here tends to have big shipping costs...

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
Also, where can I find a cheaper copy of the Meteor book?

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
I dont know of any online shop that does significantly better prices than HOP on books or toys (unless of course, you dont care about quality) - however if you are in alaska, you might get lower shipping from a US based iShop.

books tend to all cost the same - given the cost of shipping is low, and the cost of publishing / printing is high.

I reckon next time I buy a car, I'm going to ask if the dealer can cut 50% off the cost of aa new Honda Jazz, 'cuz I'm on a limited budget'...

hehe - you might find what you want for a couple of dollars cheaper, but you dont seem to understand the construction time / quality / wholesale cost equation very well. Shipping, well as I said, find a store in your area, shipping will be cheaper...I guess service and support doesnt enter your equation either?

I think if you really are on such a limited budget, you might want to consider buying some nice rope ($2+ per metre, you will need 9metres) and learn to tie monkeyfists yourself. in the end, you may or may not decide to buy a decent one that wont unravel or go out of shape.

--

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
I just noticed you want this to increase your performance options...if you are preforming, you should be charging, and if you are charging less than about $100 a hour, you are totally ripping yourself and the whole industry off. put 1/2 of your performance earning into buying a new toy....thats what I always did when I was performing. new toys and maintenance of old ones should be part of your budgeting...

--

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
I checked around the internet for a while and honestly dont think you will find a great deal on the book. What HoP sells it for is about the same as anywhere else. Shipping too.

There is a performance type meteor called the Metro that I think is really nice looking, but its going to be the same price as HoP's rope poi. If you are going budget for practice, then just use scrap material. Once you feel you are ready to use them for a performance, then do what others suggest and pay for quality.

If you opt for fire...well...to be honest, I haven't seen a single maker to come out with a fire meteor that I like. HoP's kevlar body is nice, but I loathe the clunky metal attachment they have. Chain bodys are not pleasant on your hands either. So its kind of back to making it yourself. But by that time, unless you are skilled and capable of patience and true self-criticism, designing and building a decent fire set yourself is not advisable. Its not something to scrimp on.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

frer3BRONZE Member
42 posts

Posted:
I still think that the book is a bit pricey...

Rayanyour friendly neighborhood crack head?
30 posts

Posted:
well, you cant screw an eye bolt into a rubber ball, actually you can, but it wont last long. Get a wooden Ball and an eye bolt, and try this out. https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/tea...-knot-12_54_225

Rayanyour friendly neighborhood crack head?
30 posts

Posted:
and yes, monkey fists are bad for beginners, but if you can take pain, they're the way to go.
EDITED_BY: Rayan (1226539043)