Forums > Help! > Wireless iPod Remote

Login/Join to Participate

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I finally gave in and brought one of those new fangle iPod things(We actually it is not the newest one it is a 80gig iPod Classic)and I have quickly fallen in love ubblove

It is so great for shows and training because I have all my music on there and I can just whip up a play list for the mood I’m feeling.

Any who I have seen a few street performers around who have those little Wireless remotes for their iPods so that they can change songs and pause them with out having to go back and forth from the PA.

I was wondering if any one knew a particularly good one for the iPod Classic or maybe where i could buy one. I'm Preferably looking for on that is just the remote and receiver not attached to any car chargers or that sort of thing.

Any help would be great!!!
Blue
hug

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
i use an 80GB 5.5G too, unforunately it uses a HDD and not solid state memory, so it skips if i do any acro, so i don't use it, not even for jogging. shame really.
you can get cheeeeep wired remotes for like under $20 from ebay smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Really? I haven't had mine skip yet though i imagine if I did any Acro with it on it would. I usually just use it when inline skating so I suppose it is not as bumpy.

But yeah that was one of the against points when i was tying to pick one because the chance of the moving parts fooking up are higher than with solid state but so far has been pretty good.

I'll look in to the ebay ones. You had any good/bad experiance buying iPod stuff on ebay? Some times eBay gives me the heebeegeebees.

Thanks smile

6,978 posts

Posted:
yeah most ipod accessories i get are fine cus they're simple. the more complex stuff are get-what-u-pay for: the car lighter adaptor that holsters, charges and transmits music works but sounds more awful than a donkey on heat.

there is also the matter of bulk - most parts of my body contact the ground or twirling equipment (eg during wraps/swaps) so the difference between the classic compared to smaller players like the nano are pretty significant when i practice.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
hey Bender your site looks great!!

Shame I won;t be seeing your rolling on the ground danger to iPod movey goodness this year at Uber. I love your work! But I am a tad confused... you wear your iPod when spinning? Not have it with a little sound system thing near you? Then why would a remote be useful? So someone else can change the tunes?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I'd assume the remote would be clipped somewhere and the iPod would be in the pocket... it'd be so that you can just change the tunes without having to fumble around to use the iPod itself... I used to have a similar remote on my minidisc player back before Mp3 but after CDs.

hug

6,978 posts

Posted:
The scenarios where a personal media player is useful is when there the music being played out loud (or lack of) is not conducive to your practice.
it could be great music, however if you are trying to drill a movement (which is vital for choreo/technicality/polish) then the wrong tempo will simply clash.
If everyone practiced poi to the beats of red-eyed hippies (they smell) playing djembes then where would we be? three beat weaves would still be considered an advanced move.

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Hey... Electricblue... it may well be too late by now, but what about this??

https://cgi.ebay.com.au/New-CAR-WIRELESS-...1QQcmdZViewItem

hug

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
I just found one on ebay yesterday and ordered it.

Unfortunately the one you suggested MNS is actually a FM transmitter but thanks for you help any way smile

Oh yeah and Mr Bender I have found a sort of solution for training with a large iPod.

I was given one of those fm transmitters for my birthday to use in the car. So i brought a teeny tiny fm radio with head phones that i can clip in my hair or on my shirt. then i just stick the ipod in my bag and tune the little radio to the same channel as the transmitter.

It is a little bit complicated but i found it worked quite well and i don't have to worrying about breaking my fancy iPod. Oh also the little radio i brought is one of those ones that you can use in the pool so i can listen to my iPod in the pool while i swim laps. Yay!!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I know its an FM transmitter! grin Its what I use when I'm out and about... I got a really cheap portable radio that sits wherever and I link the FM transmitte up to the ipod and have that in my pocket... makes it pretty well the same as a remote. smile

hug

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
??? oh ok, but i was looking for a wireless remote?? so i can change songs while I'm performing and the iPod is attached to the mipro.*confused*
But i found one any way so its ok smile
EDITED_BY: ElectricBlue (1221457587)

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Yeah, I understood, I just thought that if you didnt mind having the Ipod on you, then the FM transmitter essentially turns the Ipod itself into a remote control for the music, with the music coming out of just a standard FM radio. Tis what I'll be doing when I do my buskering.

hug

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
hahah. i get it now. Only i would probably break it if i did that because i mostly hula hoop and tumble.