Forums > Social Discussion > Internet Shopping Scam Help :(

Login/Join to Participate

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
About two weeks ago i made an order for two books on this web site www.worldretailstore.com and it now seems like I have been taken in by a scam.

They sent me an order confirmation and have charged my credit card for the full amount but I have not received any communication since. A couple of days ago I sent them some emails enquiring about the status of my order so I would know when to expect it in the mail. After not receiving any reply I decided to call them on the phone number listed on their site, I called many times and nobody answered. All of these things made me start to think that something fishy was going on so I did a search for the company and it turns out a lot of people have been having the same problem and that nobody has ever received orders from them but have still been charged.

I know in a way it is kind of my own fault for not checking the place out before placing and order and this really annoys me because I am usually very conscious and can spot a dodgy web site from far far away, but I think I just got a little two excited because they had two books I have been trying to find for ages.

But any way, I just wanted to let every one know about this site so they could avoid it, Also I was wondering if anyone knows if there is any thing I can do or try to maybe get my money back or at least report them too so that other people don’t get taken by this scam.

Blue,

Ps, All of this really reminded me how great it is to have a fantastic store like HOP to deal with when I’m buying any new equipment, I know I never have to worry about dealing with this sort of thing from here and I love that they always provide heaps of information about the status of your order.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
theres quite a few online book stores who dont actually have the books in stock that they say they do - so can sometimes take weeks even months to get one from there supplier. Especially if the book is out of print - they sometimes cant even be bothered sourcing it from another supplier.

however standard practise should be to charge your credit card until they send it to you.

There was one out of print book that i didnt get - and after 6 months i just cancelled the order - Angus & Robertson hadnt charged my card so there was no probs. thankfully i found another supplier.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Some credit cards allow you to reverse transaction if there was internet fraud, but I'm not 100% on how it works...

I hope you get your money back! *hugs*

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Dentrassi, Yeah this is what i thought this shop was about, it said they would not charg my card untill they had to books in stock, But they have charged it any way.

natasqi, Thanks for the tip, I have just loged a dispute with my bank so hopefully something works out. I don't mind too much about the money though it would be nice to get it bac, It is just the priciple of the thing that really annoys me the most. Grrrrr.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :ElectricBlue

They sent me an order confirmation and have charged my credit card for the full amount but I have not received any communication since. A couple of days ago I sent them some emails enquiring about the status of my order so I would know when to expect it in the mail. After not receiving any reply I decided to call them on the phone number listed on their site, I called many times and nobody answered. All of these things made me start to think that something fishy was going on so I did a search for the company and it turns out a lot of people have been having the same problem and that nobody has ever received orders from them but have still been charged.

Call your credit card company immediately. Explain the situation. State that you want to cancel the charge and that you believe that it is fraudulent. Their anti-fraud teams can investigate the claim. If the company turns out to not be operating on the up-and-up, the credit card company will suspend the "merchant's" account and should refund you your money.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
WHat Doc, and it sounds like you've already reversed the charge on your card, or at least set the wheels in motion for it. What you have to do is sign a declaration saying that you never received the goods and they will reverse the charge for you. The only way I think you can lose on that one is if the "company" has cleared out their bank account of all funds so when they go to take the funds off them there's no money in there to take. But if that is the case, then the police should be involved etc.

Hope it's a little bit helpful - and hope your items actually turn up.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Weird thing is... the weboftrust rating as well as the AVG rating on google say that it is a website with a good reputation.

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :georgemc

WHat Doc, and it sounds like you've already reversed the charge on your card, or at least set the wheels in motion for it. What you have to do is sign a declaration saying that you never received the goods and they will reverse the charge for you. The only way I think you can lose on that one is if the "company" has cleared out their bank account of all funds so when they go to take the funds off them there's no money in there to take. But if that is the case, then the police should be involved etc.

One thing is that U.S. credit card companies generally don't charge for fraud committed against the cardholder. That's one of the benefits of using a credit card.

At least that's been my experience.

What is the case in your country?

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
She said she talked to her bank... Was it a Credit card or a Debit card? there's a difference

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah it was a debit card but they are still looking in to it. *Fingers crossed*