PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I am currently poised at a "career" crossroads.
Performing is going to cycle down in a couple months, as it always does in our winter which leaves me bored enough to take on a "normal" job.
And, truth be told, I need to re-evaluate whether or not I want to perform anymore.

While performing Spring-Fall, I also own a henna/body stain/face painting booth at festies and do fairly well.
Recently I've been lucky enough to find a tattoo parlor that wants me to do my temp body art in it.
I've been there two days and it's going well already, much to my surprise.

And now I am faced with a decision.

The place I worked for last winter wants me back. They've made that known all along, but since it was a contract position, I had to wait 6 months before I could even think of going back. I didn't sweat it.
The job is nice and secure with garunteed money eeping in.
This would start in September.
I like the people.
The work is good enough. Not challenging really and not artistic. More the challenge is in deadlines and problem solving. But in the lack of challenge I have time to write and draw and such, which is nice.
It is a 9-5, which leaves me with plenty of time for family and my other endeavors.
However, this is only a year contract with no extraneous benefits.

The other option is at the tattoo parlor. They are looking for someone to learn piercing. I can accept an apprenticeship for piercing, which is unpaid, do that and the henna for the next two months. Doing the henna at the same time allows me to make money during the apprenticeship (only about 2-3 weeks) and then I can make money doing both. After that I can move on to a tattoo apprenticeship, which is a couple months, but still do the piercing and henna to still make money.

During those apprenticeship times I'll most likely not make the same as I did at the more corporate job, though who knows.
The hours aren't nearly as good as the corporate for time with family but that could be worked by opening two days a week and closing two days a week.

I *love* doing the art very much and everyone at the studio thinks I'm a perfect fit. I really like the people at the studio, it just seems like a big risk money wise, not that I'll be losing any, I just won't be gaining as quickly for a few months.

So...would you keep it safe for another year or jump in the deep end and try out the new?
(and yes, if it doesn't work at the tat parlor, going back to corporate is probably an option)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I think you've already answered your own question smile

Go for it, and if it fails, corporate as a back up.

Always good to add more skills to your repertoire. smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Decent tattoo/piercing apprenticeships are (in the UK) very, very rare indeed.

If you feel drawn to it and such opportunities are as rare where you are, I'd been inclined to offset that against any temporary lowering of earnings.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Carrers advisors tend to ask one particular question; "if money wasn't a consideration, what would you be doing?"

You've already said it.

Honey, you're young, talented and have the support of your immediate family, let your creative side run riot for a while.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Going to go with what everyone else seems to have said. Go for the tatoo parlour job.

Like you say, you can always go back to corporate....

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
*at the time of death, no-one wishes they'd spent more time at the office*

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Wise words! I know more people than I can shake a stick at who would love to be able to quit the office drudgery, to do something creative, personally satifying or a bit different from the 9 to 5 office life. Grab the opportunity while you can!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Thank you all for the thoughts!
My main concern, because I'm a parent, is making sure I can support us effectively.

I think I can. I talked with the others in our house and I'm going to do it.
I just don't want to regret not trying.

I started learning piercing last week and will be starting there, and moving up to tats in November.

Thanks all for the thoughts and support.

Eera, I love you for calling me young.
No really.
ubblove

OWD, apprenticeships with a good shop and artist are rare here as well, and ones that are free are rarer. Most charge thousands of dollars for them and this studio doesn't. I don't know why I'm so nervous about it, but I am.
Silly. I know.

Thanks again all! hug

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Lady, you're of the same age (ish) as me and I'm still darn immature!

Post photos of your first corset-work piercing wontcha?

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

KTBradshawnewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Piercings a piece of piss son ! and tattoo. well that will take years to conquor its a beautiful art wif a technical side but it will be a journey worth doing, piercings great bread and butter for a tattooist....thats just my opinion - while i've been gone, i spent 2 years in a tattoo studio ! good times !