Forums > Help! > Were to get wicks locally?

Login/Join to Participate

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Where would you be able to get wicks locally? I have a few small shows coming up and im not sure if I ordered some it would be in time. My friend who works the local ren fests suggested a few magic shops. He doesn't think they have them but they might be able to point me in the right direction. We are going to be doing a city festival so I don't wanna just use wicks that I can only use once or twice ether. If it was just a grad party or something I wouldn't mind using something that I could only uses a few times.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
DK. ubblol

The answer to your question will depend a lot where 'locally' is. rolleyes

Ordering from the HoP shop is very fast, the quality is great and you will be supporting this site.

Otherwise, let me take a wild leaping guess that you are in USA.. in which case you could tryLuxotica or googling kevlar wick USA (that's what I just did)

Wicks you can only use one or two times??? sounds like something homemade out of the early 90s! Kevlar wicks last for ages. Ah yes, I remember now, you were in[Old link] where you mentioned wicks made out of denim. eek Glad to know you're track for ordering some proper ones hug

Good luck with your shows ubbrollsmile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Well by locally I meant what kinda stores would have them. Hardware,Auto,ect. I have heard you can uses heat shielding for warping headers.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Hmmm I don't think you will have much luck finding something that is a safe alternative. I have never heard of any thing and you can be pretty sure that if there was a safe alternative that was around then a lot of people on here would be using it.

Where are you located? I have had all of my hop orders come in less than a week and if you order from some where in your country it should only take a day or two.

Those things aside have you made the other preparations that are necessary for a safe fire show? It worries me that if you are doing this last minute then your safety arrangements may also be last minute? When doing fire spinning in public it is not worth the risk to do things in a rush or un-prepared. Please be careful.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Well im ordering some stuff right now. Im from the US. Im ordering more than I need because I have some other toys as well. I have all my safety stuff including a fire extinguisher. The festival isn't a thing im tied to. I called the city doesn't have a problem with us preforming outside of the festival. There is a stage but they only hire bands no other entertainment. Safety is not something I half ass. The most important rule is keep your audience safe even before yourself. That rules out fire breathing over the crowd.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Ok sounds good. I was just worried that if you were getting equipment last minute then you may not have totally thought thru all of the other aspects to putting on a fire show. You can understand the association between the two.

How long do you have till your show? Sounds like it is going to be fun.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Well I have a real show at a party in a week. The festival is next week as well but its multiple days. There are a lot of local festivals coming up though so even if I miss this its not a big deal. I just ordered some kevlar and I know how quick HoP is. Some online stores are horrible. I ordered something off this one site and they take like 3 weeks before they ship anything. It wasn't just an isolated case ether.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Kevlar really is the best. When I started out a long time ago I used to buy a kind of fibreglass wick that was sold for kerosene heaters from a hardware store... but it did fray and burn out, sending sparks around the place. Once I found kevlar, I'd never use anything else. I think now it is so standard, and available in such a variety of sizes and styles that no one thinks of anything else. The heat shielding you mentioned may well be made of kevlar anyway, now that asbestos is known to be so dangerous. The thing with ordering from a shop like HoP or Luxotica is that they sell it in convenient sizes etc so you don;t have to cut and run the risk of fraying. Anything that sends sparks out is to be avoided. Also their ready made poi heads will have good strong attachments.

For fire safety, the explosiveness of fuel is a big consideration in how it is stored and handled. (Americans seem to often use more volatile fuels eg white gas or colemans (Butane) that burns clean but is more dangerous than lamp oil/paraffin type fuels that eg europeans and aussies use). Volatile fuels produce exploie.flammable vapours so they MUST be covered up.

There are quite a few threads here on HoP about safety.. you seem to be doing research and taking it seriously so you will find them... but in short...

A damp towel or damp woollen blanket is the best for putting out toys or spot fires.. just smother the flame. Have it laid out flat near where you perform so you can use it straight away. It's a great idea to have someone by the towel who can help you if you get into trouble./tangle etc. Hair goes up fast and smelly.. a woolen beanie is a great idea!

A fire blanket is not so good really... harder to use and gets damaged/dirty in normal use.

A fire extinguisher is really last resort in case of things catching fire.. not for toys or people though.

Have fun and remember the adrenalin of performing/parties can affect concentration. Take everything slowly. One danger time is when the toys are out.. no apparent flame.. but the metal is still hot. Its a good idea to have eg a white cloth you out extinguished toys on to cool off. Never leave them lying around on the ground.. trip hazard.

And don;t mind us if we fuss about safety and stuff... we've been there (!) and want to and the people around you to have a great time... burns suck.

Cheers! ubbrollsmile

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Im glad most the people here are so safety consonance. Fire is a very dangerous thing. Any time I am spinning fire I always have both a wet and damp towel with me. Damp on for putting out toys and maybe a sport fire. I give permission if by chance I do set a blaze put me out any way possible. Im someone that really is careful what fuels I use as well. I won't use anything other than paraffin.