• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

frer3
BRONZE Member since Dec 2006

Total posts: 42
Posted:I tied a monkey's fist in a long rope, and made a little figure-eight knot in the other end. When the monkey's fist rests on the floor, the rope comes up to my chest. It's too lopsided for a meteor, but it's too long for a poi. I don't want to alter anything, so how can I use my new uberlong stageprop?

Delete Topic

Mother_Natures_Son
SILVER Member since Aug 2007

Mother_Natures_Son

Rampant whirler.

Total posts: 2418
Posted:Depends on how heavy the monkey fist is. You could do rope dart with it.

Check out

And http://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Library-Rope-Dart-8_0_0

Otherwise I dunno... Wraps & Extensions etc, I guess.

hug

Delete

hamamelis
BRONZE Member since Jan 2006

hamamelis

nut.

Total posts: 756
Posted:Sounds a bit short for a rope dart....

Name it yourself, and experiment- why'dya need an existing name? smile

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Delete

Mucky
SILVER Member since Apr 2008

Mucky

Rum-Swilling Combustioneer

Total posts: 227
Posted:There's no set length for rope dart, poi, or meteors...

The meteors I've seen in the poi community are *much* shorter than those derived from wushu. Old-school wushu meteor performances included a number of poi-like moves (weaves and so forth) using instruments 2-3 times as long as the performer! Likewise a rope dart really only has to be a dart... on a rope! If you want to do the complex body wraps you'd have to have it longer, but there are a lot of things you can do with a short one involving wraps, throws, tosses, and kicks.

At that length you could also use it to practice boleadoras dance, like tap-dance with poi.

You could build a chigiriki-like rig; a Japanese weapon that was basically a staff with a weighted chain on one end.

Or do what I do in cases like this, just leave it in your gear bag for a while until you either think of something to do with it or use it to make something else... smile

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Delete

frer3

Posted:Thanks for the suggestions!
Any other ideas are greatly appreciated!

Delete

frer3

Posted:I can't view the videos on this site, so I'm trying to download them. How do I view them once they're downloaded?

Delete

Jameth
GOLD Member since May 2008

Jameth

enthusiast

Total posts: 378
Posted:If you mean the HoP ones, they're flv files. Under windows I generally use VLC, which can play almost anything (linux and mac versions also exist).

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-windows.html

If you can't play the embedded yt files try going there directly. You can see the yt address if you quote the file.

edited to move a browser problem to a new thread

EDITED_BY: Jameth (1217379985)

Delete