Forums > Help! > buying parafin in Ibiza (spain, Europe)?!?!

Login/Join to Participate

PotakaGOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
hey all, headin out to ibiza in a couple of days, and been asked to do a show with my fire group in a hotel while we out there smile

...prob is we spossed to perform the night we arrive and i dont know ibiza at all...any thoughts on where to pick up parrafin?!?! we will be arriving on a wednesday in the mornin and perfromin that night?!?!?!

help would be much appreciated, tried using skype to ring local hardware stores but my spanish is so bad!

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Tell the hotel that you need paraffin providing as one of the conditions of doing the show. Explain the situation to them and I'm sure they will be able to arrange something.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Get insurance too smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
k my info is 5 years old but anyhow;

mmm we had a big problem getting parafin in Ibiza, you will probly end up with something really wrong if you ask for parafin (we did).

Check paint suppliers for paint thinners/solvents, read the labels carefully and you will be able to identify something safe, and there's a large warehouse style hardware store in the centre of the island on the road from Ibiza town to san Antonio that has lamp oil - and I think that might be the only place on the island where you can get it reasonably cheaply. Hope that helps!

I hope you get out to see the rest of the island and dont just stay in 'clubland', cuz IMHO its the ugliest part of a very beautiful place.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

PotakaGOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
hmm sounds like i might have a prob then hotel staff were pritty unhelpful.

havnt tried much else apart from paraffin have u guys got ne thoughts on what would be safe alternatives if i cant find it? i guess that citronella lamp oil works alright?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
If you can get it without citronella thats much better.
Flame Oz worked in Ibiza for a while 3 few years ago. Maybe drop Knoxious a line.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
:sigh:

buy lamp oil from a hardware store. here is a google map with SOME of the hardware stores on Ibiza.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...e=UTF8&z=11

Josh

--

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
unless a lot has changed, the hardware store in santa Eularia was pretty small and didnt sell much in the way of burnable stuff.

--

PyrolificBRONZE Member
3,289 posts

Posted:
mmm was just shutting down when I notice the spanish translation of hardware store on teh search page I did before...here is a google map with the spanish translation marked hardware stores. There are heaps;

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...103168&z=13

some in Evisa (Ibiza town) are described as 'resort supplies' they would have to have lamp oil.

--

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Potaka - if you're in Eivissa, you ask for the big hardware store, it's opposite the bug supermarket on the road to San Lorenzo (I believe) - actually it's walking distance from Eivissa harbour. There you should find lamp oil/ Kerosene. As far as I remember they only sell bulk.

I suggest NO paint thinner or any of that stuff - it has hazardous fumes (really nasty) and some burn even hotter (faster) than Premium petrol: you wreck your Kev and your skin.

rolleyes I stored a whole canister of Kerosene that I couldn't use at the Eivissa castle, maybe I should draw you a map?

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink