Forums > Social Discussion > Help free children in Cambodia from exploitation!

Login/Join to Participate

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
Hi Guys,
This is a great opportunity to support an excellent charity set up by
a friend of mine without it costing you anything but 30 seconds of
your time. I would encourage everyone to vote and spread the word as
the $5K prize money will help alot of families.
Cheers
Ben

------------------

Hi Everyone,

Help free children in Cambodia from exploitation!

To help please vote for the Carpets for Communities project in an
online charity competition by going to
(www.carpetsforcommunities.org/vote-for-us) and following the
instructions to register and vote. It will take less than 2 minutes
and the $5,000 prize money (and more importantly world-wide exposure)
will all go towards freeing children from exploitation and getting
them back to school in Cambodia.

Our innovative development project has been selected as a finalist in
the Changemakers "Ending Global Slavery" competition by a prestigious
panel of judges, from over 200 entries world wide. The winner will be
decided by popular vote...you can help us win!

We are already making a big difference in Cambodia. Please help us
reach more families by forwarding this email to everyone you know...
don't hold back..you'll feel better for it!

Thank you for your kind support,

David Bacon

I also invite you to visit our site at www.carpetsforcommunities.org
and find out all about our project.

Founder
Carpets for Communities (Cambodia)
https://www.carpetsforcommunities.org
"Empowering Mothers to break the cycle of Poverty"
Email: davidbacon@carpetsforcommunities.org
Mobile: +61 (0)424 511 155

Check out Carpets for Communities project in Cambodia on YouTube:

www.Givle.com - Givle (Google custom Search) Save the Environment and
donate to Charity for Free!
Set your Mum's home page.. I set my Mum's already!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
https://www.girleffect.org/

has some cool videos about why its important to support charities like carpets for communities, that are specifically set up to empower women

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

mausBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
4,191 posts

Posted:
smile Nice ben.....

Just a quick note of support on this subject.

As a few of you know I have been living in the South of Cambodia now for almost 2 years, and have a lot of love for the Cambodian people as a whole.

There is no real way of explaining life out here, i guess its something you have to see and spend a lot of time as part of it to understand it.
Here you have the rich, and you have the poor, there is rarely anything in between. Sadly the poor are the majority, and being poor here means no education.
Being poor here means even at the age of 3 working for your food.
Being poor means poverty will always be stronger than honour.
A few of you I'm sure have travelled to these parts and have experiences in the kids that go out working, selling fruit, bracelets whatever, and some of you may not have had such good experiences with that. Too many children get forced to work within the tourist industry and because the tourists that do come hear spend their money buying junk of "the cute kids" instead of focusing it towards projects like this, cambodian children are being taken out of school, to work the tourist beat.
Be honest with yourself, who would you rather buy something from, a super cute big brown opal eyed child, or a haggard middle aged adult???
I live here,I know how it is, and occasionally I still get sucked into the trap.

NGO's and organisations like this fight a constant battle against the system, to try and promote a better level of living for a lot of cambodian families and individuals.

There are not enough organisations like this to look after everybody, but the ones that are in place really do need all the support they can get.

So please for the sake of a few moments of your time, support this and be happy with yourself that even the smallest things can make a difference to some people.

Thanks for posting this Ben.

smile

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I went to their site to buy a rug online, and they didn't have the facility (yet) but they say if I buy it by email it will be sent with the next order they get. September. So I am going to buy a nice red and black yin-yang rug for in front of my fire in the very very red lounge room. smile It will go well with the red silk shag rug in there already. Thanks for posting, Ben!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
thanx to those who voted, they won!!!!!

---------------------------------------------------

Hi!

Thank you to everyone who voted for Carpets for Communities in the End Global Slavery award. All of our efforts payed off and Carpets for Communities won! This means we get $5000 funding as well as some massive global exposure in the right circles. With this money we will be setting up a new office in a new town so we can include more Cambodian families in this project. Last years winners were offered even more funding after their win, so you never know.

Just goes to show how all the little efforts, create big results!

Thanks once again for your support!!
See our vote page at www.carpetsforcommunities.org/vote-for-us for updates & other ways you can help.

About Carpets For Communities
We offer instant intervention into child trafficking & labour by empowering mothersto earn a steady income from home & return their children toschool, giving us time to work with the families in a participatory fashion towards exiting the cycle of poverty. More details at www.carpetsforcommunities.org

David Bacon
--
Founder
Carpets for Communities (Cambodia)
https://www.carpetsforcommunities.org/vote-for-us
'Empowering Mothers to break the cycle of Poverty'
Email: davidbacon@carpetsforcommunities.org
Mobile: +61 (0)424 511 155

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yay smile I did smile Glad to see it (might've) helped.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so $5K might not go far in oz but in cambodia is goes much further. Gabe if your after a custom carpet you can email dave with a picture and he will get it made up i got a fire character https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=500&page=1

---------------------

Hi from Cambodia everyone!

Just letting you all know what i'm dong with the money that you won for us!

It's great! it finally gives us the ability to spend money so we can set up independently and expand. I have already hired two new staff and am travelling to Siem Reap today to spend some time setting up a new head office there.

Soon there will be more families and we'll have a lot more carpets to sell for them! On that note now is a great time to order one as i can tell the staff directly.

Finally, I'd like to invite everyone to join the main "Carpets for Communities" facebook group - We'll shut this one down soon.

Also please fee free to join the givle group.

Warmest regards from Cambodia,

David