MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
So I've been waiting since January to get an iPhone. No sooner than I was ready to buy it, the 3G model was announced. So I waited.

I'm still waiting.

Lines are still in excess of 3-4 hours. It's been two weeks since the introduction of the phone and there are still lines. Apple steadfastly refuses to sell the phone by delivery. In the SF Bay Area, only Apple Stores (not AT&T stores) are selling them, making the lines even longer.

Well I steadfastly refuse to stand in line for hours for a phone that I've lived without for 31 years.

So I see a few possiblities:

1) The lines die down and I get my phone
2) The lines never die down and I don't get it
3) The lines never die down and Apple runs out/stops making it in preparation for a 4G model.

In cases 2 and 3, the Garmin Nuvifone seems to be a good alternative from a company that doesn't seem to be so full of themselves.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I ordered mine this afternoon and to be honest I'm really excited.. (cue the non-believers.. I've read it, I'm happy with my purchase).

Supply in the UK is poor but not at that standard Mike.. I got lucky and bought through a third party retailer who has made a better fist of betting stock; more luck than judgement however.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
What is with companies making products they *know* there will be a huge demand for (namely the Wii and iPhone) and coming up pathetically short in supply?

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Rellizate

To be honest - i've never been a fan of iPod/iPhone. Apple's other products are pretty good IMHO, but with the iPod/iPhone you're paying alot of extra money for the brand and pretty design.

I used to think that about the ipod. Then one day i FOUND a 3rd gen ipod nano and i love it, I dunno how i got about without it.....the iphone on the other hand seems like a waste of money....then again, it's hard to imagine paying for an ipod hahaha

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I think Nintendo were genuinely suprised the first time around (christmas '06) but Christmas '07 was bad again without any real justification.

iPhone- first one was expensive and didn't sell very well (less than expected in the UK at least)- lower price point and more functionality along with much wider distribution mean that unfortunatley somethings got to give. Frustrating all the same frown

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Doc Lightning

In the SF Bay Area, only Apple Stores (not AT&T stores) are selling them, making the lines even longer.

Should have stayed in new York wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Move to Brisbane. Plenty supply, no lines. A friend has one. It's excellent. I am not normally impressed by gadgets but the usability was truly WOW. But then, he really is running a huge organisation mostly from home.. so does need the internet etc functionality/amazing sound etc. Not just to chat to his whoever...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Lurch

What is with companies making products they *know* there will be a huge demand for (namely the Wii and iPhone) and coming up pathetically short in supply?

Supply isn't short. However, the number of outlets is short. It's horribly frustrating.

Apple can fix it or lose me as a customer. And I'm sure I'm not the only person who feels that he has better things to do than stand in line for a gadget, no matter how snazzy.

-Mike

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Gotta admit that at first I really disliked the iPhone hype... And still wouldn't be ready to waste a high price (in bucks or time) on it - but I gotta admit...

a friend of mine got one and it's... well, if the word "sexy" would apply for an inanimate object and a cellphone, then it would definitely apply to the iPhone.

The features and handling... way nice. Too bad it doesn't come in an outdoor version, otherwise you might see me queue up myself...

But then again: I'm not that keen on the newest available gadgets...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
It really is a stunning device... bye bye windows mobile....

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Lurch

easy....you make just as many as you can so they sell quickly enough to pull huge profits with a consistant easy to manage production volume. It will be manufactured and sold before the suppliers are paid for their services meaning a very cash rich company. (much as all supermakets do....they sell products 20days+ before paying actually for them) You don't want to over do it and risk having product sat in warehouses for weeks/months because everyone who wanted one got it in the first few weeks. (Only lego seem to be able to hold THAT much stock and not suffer from it ubblol)

The knock on effect is the product becomes even more valuable simply due to supply being 'limited' but then the media jump on board (free advertising) and people talk more about it (free advertising of the highest order) and people want it more because they can't get it (free added value) and the price doesn't need to come down and the company keeps selling umpteen units for each second that passes and they earn lots of cash in the process. Dragging it on for as long as they can manage until the people like DocLightning actually turn into a measurable portion of potential sales loss, so they up the production volumes slightly, saturate the market a little and drop the price a bit to pull the straglers in as the development costs have now long since been satisfied and they're a lot richer.

That's usually just before the new model comes out and it all starts again....

Let's relight this forum ubblove

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Yup. Now stores are selling out. Garmin isn't introducing their new phone until after the new year.

It appears that I am not ever getting a smartphone. Whatever, that's an extra $300 I didn't spend.

-Mike