Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
In this world of urban sprawl and obesity I want to draw people's attention to urban bike polo!
https://www.bikepolo.ca/

I'm by no means an organiser nor a top player, but I do play whenever I get the chance. (I have tonight off work so I can finally get myself to a nigh match!)

I think that it's wonderful because it's essentially a sport that can be done in the middle of the city and with minimum equipment. Many people already own bikes, and mallets are often shared.

It's a way to get out of the house and get the blood flowing and a chance to play something as a team, in cities where I think too often people keep to themselves and lack the community of more rural areas.

The group I play with are very respectful of all ability levels. The serious guys will play hard with each other, but as soon as a beginner rides onto the court, they'll back off. Similarly, some of the guys have bikes specifically for polo, but they respect that other people will have to ride their bike to work the following day and therefore can't have it damaged.

It's all about the level of seriousness that you want.

There's even world championships for the (original) grass version
https://www.worldbicyclepolo.com/

I see this as an evolution of sport to suit our largely urban lifestyles. So find a club in your city or if there isn't one, make yourself a mallet, grab your bike and some mates and get a game started!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Sounds like good fun.
Bike polo has been around for a while, i think i remember reading about it in roahl dalls Book 'Boy' I think he said they played it at school.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Yeah, the grass version has been around since the 19th century, but it took 100 years before the hardcourt version got going!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Is there many differences? i mean except for the obvious?
Sounds like it would hurt if you had a stack.

On the subject of strange wheeled sports i have just started playing a bit of unicycle hockey it's hard but pretty fun.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
There are different rules between the two games but I don't know the specifics since I don't play the grass kind. That one's played at an international level so the rules would be more strict than how we play!

We had some unicyclists play at one point!

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I got quoted in the paper!!!!!!