Forums > Meet Others > I'm going Travelling: Thailand, Malaysia, Aus, NZ, Canada. Poianyone?

Login/Join to Participate

LSKmember
66 posts

Posted:
Hey,

Ok, so I'm not exactly a regular poster here, but I've been a member for a while and actually met a few pretty damn cool people through the HOP community so I figured I'd mention my travel plans here and if anyone has any ideas/advice I'd love to hear it....

Basically my plan is (roughly) as follows:

Thailand 4th August for about 6 weeks
Malaysia until 5th October
Australia (Going from Melbourne to Brisbane) until 17th Nov
NZ (Starting in Auckland) until 15th Dec
Australia Over Xmas and New Year
Canada from 7th Jan 2009 for a few weeks

My main reason for posting is that during my travels I'd love to do some spinning... actually I'll be happy as long as I get to spin at least once on a beach somewhere hot... even for like 30 seconds biggrin ..., so basically if anyone wants to meet up (or knows of regular groups that meet) then just send me a pm (as that'll come through on my email which I'm more likely to check whilst travelling) and hopefully I'll get chance to do some fire!

Secondly I wanted some general advice confused ... basically I'm planning on not taking my own poi (number of reasons: Worried about weight; worried about flammable smelling objects on flights; worried about weird fuel in Asia messing then up). Is it easy to get hold of a set of poi in say.... Thailand for example? ... and insight welcome biggrin

Lx weavesmiley

Lx

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Greetings
I have been moving around those places for the last 7 yrs or so and for a yr or 2 before that also - so I can give you some pointers:

Thailand 4th August for about 6 weeks - You can pick up heaps of practice Poi in Bangkok and in all the tourist places - BUT last time I went finding FirePoi which actually had Kevlar on and not some crap imitation that melted on 1ts burn was pretty hard - if you take kevlar with you, you will be able to manufacture, or pay to get done.
Spinning places - theres a ferry in Bangkok (which is actually a REAL nice way of getting about and seeing the city not from the vehicle clogged roads), the nearest stop to Koh San Rd (the main travellers acc.) has a little park that spinners hang out in as the heat of the sun dwindles to dusk. there was a thread about it in events
Koh Phan Ghan has full moon parties and plenty of thai spinning fire at the bars any time touristy.
KOh Phi Phi used to have a bar that had shows in - set up by my good friends Sophie and Jacob from dreamstate circus - not sure what the latest on that is.
Theres also a GREAT project run by BansheeCat in Thailand - circus for refugees - PM her for details
Theres also a Circus Fest in Cambodia
You'll find spinners ALL over thailand - travellers

Malaysia until 5th October
Didnt meet too many spinners in Malaysia - but its a lovely country to travel - VERY friendly people and a nice way to really meet the locals after the touristyness of thailand

Australia (Going from Melbourne to Brisbane) until 17th Nov
Theres SO MANY spinners in Oz - check melbourne, Briz threads on here - too much to say - LOTS of juggling/spinning/fire meets

NZ (Starting in Auckland) until 15th Dec
BEST country in the world!! Im living here now (that doesnt make it the best country in the world!!) juggling and fire nights in Auckland
check events section for threads.
Give me a PM if you wanna hook-up

Australia Over Xmas and New Year
Woodford Folk festy - HEAPS of spinners and a GREAT Community Circus tent - Circadia run by NewGabe on here.
You can get in by volenteering

Canada from 7th Jan 2009 for a few weeks
Ive only been to canada doing shows for a few weeks - also its a BIG place!! I was in Toronto, Montreal and met performers rather than spinners so....

Hope you have a great trip and adventure and LOTS of spinny fun

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

LSKmember
66 posts

Posted:
Thank-you thank-you thank-you!!!! That was an amazing response! biggrin .... Has given me alot to think about! Yeah, I did hear that Kevalr was hard to come by in Thailand, but it does seem like i'll have no trouble getting some spinning in! I will indeed check out soem of those places.. especially the park near Koh San Rd.. sounds very cool!

Thanks for the info! You may well get a pm from me closer to the time i'm in NZ... there is so much to take in at the moment, and it's all a huge mix of excitement and nervousness, but that's travelling I guess!

Lx

Lx

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
you can get kevlar poi through pat, or oud, in bangkok. Ask for them in the Pra Atit park, usually Pat is there juggling in the evenings. His stall is on Rambutri i think, close to Khao San road, but on the other side of Sam Sen by the temple. You can see the difference between regular crap asbestosy mystery material poi and the kevlar, and the price will also be an indicator.

Oud can be reached at www.jugglingworks.com, or again, ask directions from thai jugglers in the park. He lives just down an alley nearby, but i dont know the name of the road. he has lots of good quality juggling toys and tools.

Have fun!

oh- In addition to Ko PG, Bangkok and Pi pi, there seem to be a lot of spinners converging in Pai on a regular basis, and also sometimes in Krabi. Certainly not hard to find!

Poppy is around , going between bangkok and samui. He is a fabulous spinner, and great teacher. I can hook you up with him when you are there if you want...
smiles
a

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

LSKmember
66 posts

Posted:
Awesome! Thank-you!

I am so excited now, for some reason I thought it would be difficult to track spinners down :-S ... can you tell i've not travelled much before? biggrin

Lx

Lx

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Hello!

I'm Nat, from Perth, Australia (the West Coast). Most people don't come to the west coast since we're so far away from all.

Me and Draghkyre (Mr_JEdLy) will be in Africa round Chrissy so we wouldn't be able to show you around, but we are leaving our house with Mikey (another spinner).. so you may be able to crash. Sadly it's very North, not in the centre of Perth at all.

Re Thailand, we visited a great Thai guy, Book/Buk/Bok who owns a bar on Railey West, who was the one, six years ago, who taught Jed how to spin. I'll get you more details if you're heading that way!

Good Luck

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
there's some nice outdoor events in melb - do you like outdoor psychedelic trance parties? kinda like a free party, only with aussie accents smile

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Yes what Bender said smile

Come to Melbourne

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

LSKmember
66 posts

Posted:
Can't say I've ever been to an outdoo psycodelic trance party..... Trance not really my thing in general.... but I'll try most things once.... :-P I'll be in touch closer to the time!

Lx

Bender_the_OffenderGOLD Member
still can't believe it's not butter
6,978 posts

Posted:
this festival has lots of circus performers and music from lots of genres, however most music acts will be psy/prog/electro/tek/ambient kinda vein
https://rainbowserpent.net

Laugh Often, Smile Much, Post lolcats Always