Forums > Social Discussion > Road Trip / follow your dreams

Login/Join to Participate

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
On Sunday night, we had the guys and girls from www.roadtripnation.com at HoP HQ recording an interview with Malcolm about how he got where we are today by following his dream. (They have a team touring around NZ this year https://www.newzealand.com/travel/usa/roadtripnation/roadtripnation_home.cfm). I'm sure it will be of interest to all HoPpers when it finally goes to air later on, so put it on your watch list!

The interview made me remember a couple of things:

1) The HoP Community is such a marvellous thing! I think everyone knows this subconciously but we forget just how special it is quite often. grouphug

2) There are many HoPpers who with the support of the Community are making/working to make their dreams come true.

3) There are also many people who don't necessarily know what their dream is and undertake their own "roadtrip" (or voyage of self discovery etc) to work it out and would appreciate some kind of advice to help them out.

Re #2 - this is evidenced in lots of different sized dreams from UCOF getting a job, through to the likes of Performers Without Borders taking circus skills from UK to kids in India etc, and now we hear Miss Banshee Cat is planning something equally exciting and arguably more challenging to achieve. (Just as a couple of examples - of course there's many many more).

So, I wonder if these kinds of dreams came into existance only because of the support and other successes seen through Communities like HoP (but not limited to HoP), or if they would have happened anyway? Surely there's many HoPpers out there who previously hadn't even heard of the arts let alone thought they could make a life out of them?? So would they have had a "suppressed dream" or would they have found a different outlet for their life direction if they hadn't found these arts?

Re 3 - how many people left school not knowing what it was they wanted to do? I bet it's a lot. I didn't really and mumbled my way into a career that worked out fine but isn't necessarily what I thought it might have been.

So, how can we help people in this position when they don't know themselves what they want to know?

I thought a general thread on this topic might provoke some useful thoughts so, lets hear them. Raymond & co, if you manage to read this, it would be useful to get your thoughts and feedback on your roadtrip and what impact it had/is having on your own directions as a result.

a philisophical discussion perhaps!

EDITED_BY: georgemc (1217306475)

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
 Written by :georgemc

Re 3 - how many people left school not knowing what it was they wanted to do? I bet it's a lot. I didn't really and mumbled my way into a career that worked out fine but isn't necessarily what I thought it might have been.
So, how can we help people in this position when they don't know themselves what they want to know?

that describes me perfectly; at age 17, straight out of high school, every bit as much as it does now, at the age of 38. I've got no clue what I want to do with my life; I've just narrowed it down to "not what I'm doing now".

as to the following your dreams; well... see above, vocationally speaking, but I've a more personal dream to fulfill right now; getting bek (whom I was lucky enough to meet, right here on HoP...!!) back here in brissie to stay

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
I found poi at 15...

I left school at 16, to go into the Navy - then i damaged my knee so couldn't complete my training.

The i worked in a shop whilst waiting for my operation. Then my mother moved to france, and I moved around getting random jobs in London, Sheffield and Bristol. Living with lovely people I met through HoP

In Bristol I realised that I couldn't just do random jobs, and living with Sandy and Tim who both gave up 'normal jobs' to perform full time, and seeing lots of my friends go off to India with Performers without Boarders made me even more sure that I didn't want a 'normal job'.

Circumstances (my sister needing me) meant I had to leave Bristol and move back to London. So I applied for some jobs in arts... and one 'dream' style job which i didn't think I would stand a chance...

But here I am now, working for The Circus Space...content for once. I am definately not going back to 'normal' jobs.

If it wasn't for HoP, I wouldn't have met the people I met, become friends, and entered into this crazy world of circus.

HoP is certainly a big gateway for entry into the arts. I would never have even imagined the things you could do in it.

From being something I did after school with my friends, to it being my career... and i can trace it all back to HoP.

The juggling/spinning community is so encouraging, and gives you so much knowledge and support. But I think that is because it is so small. (I am always bumping into people I know around The Circus Space! Or we'll have a conversation and someone I know will be named...)

I think people have to figure out the road they want for themselves, and once they have decided on it, then the community comes in to help.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Rar!

I can't find the interview!

Am I inept, or has it not been uploaded yet?

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
yeah, what Pink said wink

I do have lots to say, but no time! lol

For now just want to remind myself, and others, that you dont need to know anything on the grand scale, to begin. Just start somewhere, and make your goal(s ) discovery and enjoyment in the process...

It can be intimidating and inhibiting if you think you need to know exactly what you want to do with your entire Life. If you make it such a huge deal, you might just feel paniked and paralysed.

I find just beginning with what you do know, and taking small steps exploring from there, works well. Allow your dream to develop in any direction it wants as you go along: fluidity and flow is what we are all here for, right?

Remember you are free to try new things, change your mind,explore, attempt, fly, fall, juggle, fail, succeed: Play!

Ask for what you want, and dont accept limitations from any one. In fact, take a good close at any you might try to place on yourself, you may just find they are really illusion, or that there is some fascinating way to move around them!

I never ever would have been able to plan for, or anticipate that I would be doing what I am now at this point in my life. Each day is so surprising, yet somehow it all fits together.

And yeah, community is what excites me, and I love it the way HOP people always step in to help everyones visions manifest. The support , participation and guidance of this group has been a joy, and invaluable to me!
love ya
a

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
the poi and trance (for me they are related) community has helped me realise that its ok to be wierd wink

and as such - I now live a very interesting life full of magic.

HOP has played a very important role in this.

I love HOP grouphug

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Count me as another who had no idea what I wanted to do. I knew what I was interested in but not how to make it...more.
I had local peers for that *but* some of the peeps I met here on HoP when it first started (other than Malcolm) definately helped shape and inspire me to push harder and be ok with being "not of the norm".

For me it has transpired into not necessarily what I want to do day in and day out, but what I want to accomplish. Knowing that helps me direct my energies and my focus. I do completely believe forums help with that, finding focus or education or information or like minds so it's not such a lonely feeling. Even opening our eyes and minds to other paths we can travel that we might never have known otherwise.
I also think the voices from around the world have helped not only broaded my understanding of people and the world but has really opened doors I never knew exsisted.

Malcolm has played a HUGE part in my life, and in helping to make some of my dreams come true and in my recovery in some really tough times. I don't know where I'd be without him.

How can we help other people?
I had someone suggest to me something that has been amazing actually.
It's making a list of 101 things to do in 1001 days.
It can be anything, from buying a pair of shoes to something large to travelling around the world or writing a book.
I adopted this in 2003 and every year on the anniversary of my accident I add to it, to make sure I am living as fully as I can. It definately has helped me with direction and with a sense of purpose as well as give me direction for things I want in my life..small or large. I believe it has helped me broaden my experiences, determine things I *really* want and need to do and just feel more fulfilled.

Mine has everything from climbing 15 new-to-me waterfalls, to returning FlashFire's boomerang in person, to clearing an old debt, to finding the funding to launching a new show.
It's a road trip without necessarily being on the road wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :georgemc

On Sunday night, we had the guys and girls from www.roadtripnation.com at HoP HQ recording an interview with Malcolm about how he got where we are today by following his dream. (They have a team touring around NZ this year). I'm sure it will be of interest to all HoPpers when it finally goes to air later on, so put it on your watch list!

The interview made me remember a couple of things:

1) The HoP Community is such a marvellous thing! I think everyone knows this subconciously but we forget just how special it is quite often. grouphug

Amen to that. I was just looking over some of the squabbles and discussions about "is HoP changing?" Yup. It's changing. It's getting bigger, stronger, and more visible. For seven years now this place has been my home away from home. For seven years, this has been my connection to a community that I love.

And now that I am in a community I love, I love this community too much to leave it.

Written by

2) There are many HoPpers who with the support of the Community are making/working to make their dreams come true.

I'm living mine. sunny

Written by

3) There are also many people who don't necessarily know what their dream is and undertake their own "roadtrip" (or voyage of self discovery etc) to work it out and would appreciate some kind of advice to help them out.

I thought a general thread on this topic might provoke some useful thoughts so, lets hear them. Raymond & co, if you manage to read this, it would be useful to get your thoughts and feedback on your roadtrip and what impact it had/is having on your own directions as a result.

a philisophical discussion perhaps!

I wonder how much is about self-doubt. I tend to think that we all have dreams. The trick is to have the guts to reach out and grab it!

Dreams are like stars; they may not be reached, but they serve as guides to direct us on our way. If we all have dreams, then we all have stars. Do you chase yours? Or do you see too many obstacles between you and it?

I wonder how many dreamers lose their dreams to the naysayers. I lived a life of naysayers, all claiming that I didn't have what it took to reach my unreachable star. But I had my friends. Including the people here on HoP.

I chased my star. I fought my fights. I challenged my doubters. You all watched me stand against the challenges. There were times I thought I might not make it, but people like you were here to support me, to believe in me, and to tell me that I could do it when I needed it the most.

This community has sustained me, and thanks to everyone here, especially you, Malcolm, for creating this place, I have my star within my reach. thankx

The first step is to reach within you and accept your dream -- never mind how impractical or improbable -- and chase it with everything you've got. You may never make it; but on your deathbed, you will know you fought the good fight. Dreams aren't easy to achieve, but believe me, they're worth it. biggrin

And if you do go for it, we'll be here to egg you on. grouphug

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
my current life : just finished my a levels and im expecting good things from them so i can go on to uni and do a degree in civil engineering and im thinking about taking it all the way up to masters level, im currently unemployed and over the past 2 years iv handed cvs in to around 300 places and had 4 interviews which have resulted in a grand total of 0 jobs

my dream: to live in a world where you live off the land (so i dont technically need a job, just some veg seeds an some mud) , where theres no money (without money we would all be rich ~banksy) where people arent discriminated against (cos its not nice) and where people are more open with their sexuality (cos i dont really see whats wrong with polygamous or polyamourous relationships)