Page:
DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Hello peeps wave

Not sure if this is the right place to put this thread, (moderate me if you need to)

If you're looking for an official PLAY alternative please note that we are not sanctioning/organising/controlling any events under the name of PLAY Festival.

It seems some people are under the impression we may be organising another event (I won't mention any locations) and asking people to pay to go. It's brilliant that folks are resourceful enough to organise another event at such short notice but if they're asking for money please don't misconstrue this into thinking it has anything to do with us...if it was it would be on our website. Also, be sure you're getting value for money, if it seems too expensive it probably is and demand lower prices (don't be taken advantage by those who can make a quick buck out of it) as I'm sure those who listen will understand...power to the poeple and all that wink lol

Anyway, sorry to go on and I don't mean to gripe or sound negative (I'm still mourning my loss....fricking rain grrrrr) as community spirit is what built PLAY into what it is and it's this spirit that lifts people up and gives them things to do next weekend and be fluffy with those they love, I just don't want you lovely peeps paying for something that doesn't offer the same level of value and turning up expecting PLAY Festival to be there and being let down. I hope you all have lots of lovely fun no matter where you end up and if you're at Secret Garden Party I might see you there hug

kiss

Let's relight this forum ubblove

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I got the impression that not many people will be going to this "another event".

Written by :Dunc

It seems some people are under the impression we may be organising another event (I won't mention the location) and asking people to pay to go. It's brilliant that folks are resourceful enough to organise another event at such short notice but if they're asking for money please don't misconstrue this into thinking it has anything to do with us...if it was it would be on our website. Also, be sure you're getting value for money, if it seems too expensive it probably is

For that very reason.

kiss back 'atcha Dunc smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
The only thing that could get me to spend time I didn't have driving across the country was PLAY..

Anything else, well sorry, but grades are more important atm frown

on a somewhat related note, what happened to the DVDs? I was expecting to see them in the shop, then assumed they'd be on sale at the actual event, but with no event... shrug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
I love you dude, and this year you didn't even have to dig up thistles or pick up poo!! ubblol and I'll leave the DVD question to Strugz.... wink

Written by UCOF

I got the impression that not many people will be going to this "another event".....For that very reason.

There's quite a few going, sounds like right good fun to me smile

I hope I don't appear all negative about this, there's nothing at all wrong with good enterprise so long as it's is good value smile And was mainly worried people might get less than they expected if they think it is us (haven't heard any promotion to the contrary by the way).....unless it's just our prices that are stupidly cheap and I should double them for next year lol

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
See you at Secret Garden.

biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
ditto

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
arrrgh the choices! we could go to either, currently on the alternative bandwagon but am feeling secret garden more and more.

"Don't do it naked!"

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
the secret garden party is £125, bugger that.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Pricey indeedy, unless you're performing wink

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Only you pros can do that, you buggers...

Anyone else fancy coming up North Wales way? One of the alternatives actually happening is that a few of us Manc types are going to Shell Island in North Wales - at £7 per night it doesn't break the bank, we're going on the Thursday and coming back on the Sunday, it's a nice place, 300 acres of camping, and open fires (and I also assume firespinning) allowed on the beach/dunes. Everyone is more than welcome, the official website is here
https://www.shellisland.co.uk/
which is a bit rubbish
and the unofficial website, with photos, testimonies and all the other stuff, including facilities is here
https://www.shellislandcampers.co.uk/

It will be a nice relax and chill. Just what we all need to get over our collective anguish!

Pete

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
Whaay glad to see people are going to SGP, are you guys doing the big viking-ship-fire-arrows-spin-lake-craziness thing too? Sounds good to me.

I'm going on my own so it would be great to meet up with all the Play crew! We should get a Play camp on the go.

I don't post on here much, just incase anyone's unclear I'm Zazie - last year I spent half of Play trying to get the big pink woollen monstrosity I was then calling hair to stay out the way of my staff. Was quite hard to miss - you probably won't recognise me this year biggrin

Look This Changes, is that Drew?

HIIIII!!

Three years of my life that took. And I get; "... nice."

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Sorry to hear that its all been cancelled. There's always next year! I wish I could make some of the alternatives, but hope you all find somewhere anyway.

@ Zazie, look_this_changes is Ed, Drew's name on HoP is Glass.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Aren't they one and the same? confused

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Shhh.

wink

https://www.homeofpoi.com/gallery/showpho...=all&page=1

Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Be Water My Friend.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
You are both sexy plumbers...

smile

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Thought I should probably say something here as I know the people organising this (they aren't hoppers) and I feel that some of this thread is pretty unfairly harsh...

There hasn't been any promotion of this event as run by Dunc and the Play crew... There hasn't been any promotion of this at all in fact, and the organisers asked for that as they wanted it to be a word of mouth thing. They originally asked for this to be kept off Hop/Facebook, but I can understand Dunc wanting to distance himself from this if chinese whispers among hoppers have led to an aberrant belief that the Play crew were putting this on...

Play (and Southern Lights) are both fantastic value. I'd probably rate them as two of the best value events in the UK. Both have an awful lot of time, thought and effort put into making them utterly fantastic events. This alternative by contrast is something that has been put together at 10 days notice by a few people who were absolutely gutted that having booked time off work and planned to go away and have fun, that due to circumstances beyond anyone's control Play got cancelled.

However some of the comments about value for money have left me somewhat confused. The organisers of this event have said that they don't want to make any money out of this - they just wanted to have a gathering of a group of friends together; it won't have the extraordinary international extravaganza of awesome entertainment we're used to at Play (Joe Driscoll, Fenfire, Chimaera wink ) but there will be a marquee, a couple of bands, dj's, a fire area with safety gear and hopefully lots of fun (or so I have been led to believe). As the organisers have said they don't want to make money out of this, just cover their costs, the charge I've heard mentioned is a sliding scale, 25 quid if there's about 40 people... 20 if all those who initially emailed turn up and 15 quid if there's more... Which means that cost is basically the same as spending a few nights at a campsite. Or if you pick the campsite that Skully/UCOF suggested in the gower it seems that this event costs about 1/3rd of going camping. Quite why that seems unreasonable to people is beyond me.

I was really really looking forwards to going to Play. I haven't been out anywhere this year cos I got broken and I was massively looking forwards to catching up with lots of people. While I'm gutted that Play isn't happening, I plan to go to this and catch up with as many people as I can... I'm not physically up to going to a bigger festival yet - and Secret Garden have asking professional performers to pay to go and perform which isn't really on (and I'm sure I remember Durbs being particularly militant about other performers doing festivals for free in the past).

Anyways... With the painkillers I'm on I'll probably think you're with me anyways, but I'd prefer you to be there in person to poke me in the eye and call me a censored...

Sy x

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
Sy...which parts do you think were unfairly harsh?

If you're speaking of my post (or am I being unnecassarily paranoid?) I'm very sorry if I gave that impression, I tried to be as clear as possible that I wasn't speaking of any 'specific' event or be negative about anything going on. It's a very positive thing! There is one I could think of that you might be discussing but I wasn't implying that it isn't value for money or tried to compare it to camping prices/PLAY/Southern Lights prices (of which are all equally good value in their own way) we just didn't want people who wrongly presume it is us running it (which I have had a few phone calls from people thinking that) and that they should always be careful before handing over their hard earned cash. When these people have called me I have actively pointed them in the right direction so they can get in touch with the appropriate people without a problem (I've also sent 'the text' too smile ). If I'm right in thinking we're talking of the same event, it was a potential play site after we cancelled and I was planning on going myself till I decided to take the family to Secret Garden Party (small children and blank fields don't mix well).

As for the organisers, my hat is off to them for pulling off in a short time something that will be very memorable for all who attend smile I have spoken to them a few times and they're really REALLY lovely poeple working very hard to make this happen...something that two weeks ago wasn't even on their agenda...amazing input and "can do" attitude and props to them smile

Please don't take things the wrong way, I was simply trying to clear a misconception in what seemed the quickest most efficient way, I haven't had a phone call since lol

p.s. I hope your brokeness is all fixed soon, I heard about it a couple days ago so here's some very tentative and gentle hugs hug2

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Hope you heal soon Sy
What happened Bro? - I too got broken a few months back 3 places on me jaw - suckin food through a straw for a while there - but as always these things heal - fr me not compleetely - but I hope you make a quick and complete recovery.
Seems to me this is just a misunderstanding - and Dunc's trying to make things clear - no harm intended or taken im sure.
I was VERY sad to hear that PLAY was cancelled - for the punters, but to be honest mainly for the organisers!! I can only slightly imagine the sort of work that is out into that festy and all for no $'s - and the not even to get the 'payment' of all those happy peeps - I really feel for you guys - BIG non-tentative hugs to all the PLAY crew and non-erotic carresses to you Sy - Hope you have fun in your outing and hope all PLAY punters have fun wherever they end up.
Can I suggest that you guys have a mass burn at each event at the same time? That might be a nice way to get the disparate Community back together within the element that brought many of us together.
Feel the Flame

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
My alternative to Play now is a weekend with round Chutneys house playing Team Fortress 2, spinning, wetherspoons breakfasts, fun, giggles and farts, not completely different to Play wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
Dunc... None of what I said was aimed at you... hug Apart from
 Written by

I can understand Dunc wanting to distance himself from this if chinese whispers among hoppers have led to an aberrant belief that the Play crew were putting this on...

Sorry if this was unclear - i generally am at the moment...

My post was mainly at UCOF's first post... I found out about this thread's existence because I had people phoning me saying that people are dropping out of this event because people on hop were bitching that is was unreasonably expensive and that no-one was going. GIven that there has been no promotion of this from the organisers it meant that the only online presence it had was someone saying that people weren't going and that it was too expensive/not good value, which is why I wanted to post something to contest that.

Rob... Hope you heal up soon dude... My brokeness is due to a woman running a red light, knocking me off my bike, and breaking my leg in 10 places and tearing some ligaments... I am getting much better though... to the point that so long as i have lovely people around to look after me I can deal with a chilled weekend's camping nowish... I'll be walking by Bristol if you'll be about, it'd be ace to catch up hug

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

Nietzsche

dreamSILVER Member
currently mending
493 posts

Posted:
 Written by

Can I suggest that you guys have a mass burn at each event at the same time? That might be a nice way to get the disparate Community back together within the element that brought many of us together.

This is a very cool idea... Get someone at each event to film a timekeeping instrument and then the mass burn wherever they are... Then upload to footage to something like Kaltura and collaboratively create a tribute to Play?

(yes this is coming from someone who couldn't currently do much in a mass burn... do matches count?)

Nietzsche

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Goddam... what is going on!

I feel like I'm missing something wink

x

Getting to the other side smile

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
the whole practice what you preach thing mentioned by Spanner there...

Interesting.

Yes, Secret Garden party are getting a good deal.

However, we are finding ourselves with a free long weekend, and nothing to do in it. We're taking advantage of secret garden party as much as they're taking advantage of us in this circumstance.

If it costs me £15 and a few minutes of spinning fire in order to get to spend this weekend with my friends, then I'm ok with that. I agree that they are being a bit cheeky though.

I think this is a one off 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' type of thing. smile We know they're getting CHEAP fire spinners, they know they're getting cheap firespinners, and they know we have an empty space where PLAY was. oh, and they have a pirate ship. wink

Be Water My Friend.

DuncGOLD Member
playing the days away
7,263 posts

Posted:
 Written by

I found out about this thread's existence because I had people phoning me saying that people are dropping out of this event because people on hop were bitching that is was unreasonably expensive and that no-one was going

Wish I'd never started it now, sorry frown And as this thread wasn't about any specific event it's a shame it's turned out that way. And bad whispers ALWAYS spread faster than good ones so I'm double sorry now. For what it's worth I hear plenty are going and I haven't heard anything bad about it myself smile

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
post deleted
EDITED_BY: LazyAngel (1216407864)

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
It's amazing what a bit of mud and rain can do to us allrolleyes

grouphug

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Look_This_Changes

If it costs me £15 and a few minutes of spinning fire in order to get to spend this weekend with my friends, then I'm ok with that. I agree that they are being a bit cheeky though.

I think this is a one off 'you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours' type of thing. smile We know they're getting CHEAP fire spinners, they know they're getting cheap firespinners, and they know we have an empty space where PLAY was. oh, and they have a pirate ship. wink

I'm well on that flex. Loads of spinners and mud and parrafin. And a pirate ship. And Viking invasions. And not having to pay £125. Whaaaay.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Normally, I wouldn't even consider "paying to work" as it were, but I think these are fairly exceptional circumstances and it's really a case of making the most of a bad situation - Play was going to be the only chance for me to see any spinners this year en masse, and now it's gone and I've got the time booked off work, SGP seems like a pretty good Plan B.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
we'll let you off...just this once....you hipocritical realist wink
Have fun ya'll

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

ZazieBRONZE Member
There Is No Spoon
68 posts

Posted:
and although we have to pay £15, we're only actually working for a couple hours and have the rest of the festival to enjoy - just think of the stuards who have to do three 8 hour shifts for their ticket. skillz are good.

it's not like putting an independant show together where many weeks of work and organisation go into it before the actual event. it's totally different.

i need paid work as much as the next person, but if they had to pay all hundred and whatever spinners then this event wouldn't be able to happen in the first place. i'm well excited, it's gonna be a good weekend.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Spanner

Although I'm sure he was being genuinely non-specific, I chose to interpret it for myself as also applicable to the "fantastic opportunity" offered by the SGP. I do sincerely hope it passes without incident and that all involved stay healthy and safe and have fun, but "professional" performers and other more prominent members of the forums who are making exceptions in practising what they preach seem to be setting a very bad example, particularly to the less experienced and more impressionable among us. That is all.

I'm not a professional performer, but I'm lucky enough to be going to the Secret Garden party to perform for a measly £15. I get to hang out with my friends, go to an awesome festival and spin fire on a pirate ship! biggrin

I recall doing the Guinness mass fire spin at Play 06 and no one was paid, surely it's a similar deal?
Anyway, I just feel really lucky and really grateful that I have something to do now on Play weekend other than sit around the flat with 5 rats for company! ubblol hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Page: