Forums > Social Discussion > social circus work, and Big Top Magazine...

Login/Join to Participate

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
Hi my lovelies...

Please check out a new on line circus magazine, it is by a guy named Ksea Flux, outta San Francisco. It is about events and opportunities in the circus arts.

www.bigtopmagazine.com

He did a profile on the social circus work I did with Laughing For Life Circus in Thailand, and is also profiling a guy named Jerry Snell, who is starting a project in Asia called, you guessed it, Circus ASIA. Through a fine piece of serendipity Drew connected us up while we were both in Bangkok.

He is well experienced and professional, putting major shows up in many different countries. Now he wants to do teaching and performance programs for disadvantaged youth in the region. He is working with some big players, Cirque de Soleil,( why can I never remember how to spell that!) Unicef, Save the Children Foundation- it should be fascinating to get involved and see what grows out of it.

He is looking for performers and teachers( acro, poi, staff, devil sticks diablo, breakdance, hoop, silks, juggling, all of it!) that will be in asia or are willing to get to asia for a while lot of different project. Working with him next year I am apparently likely to be involved in projects in India, Thailand and China! Eep! Exciting !!!! Next week some of the funding questions will be answered and we will know exactly what is up.

There are videos of his past work on line...

So go to www.bigtopmagazine.com, and check it out. Get in touch with Jerry , or me, if you are interested in that sort of circus work( and yes, there is some funding and pay available, depending on the project. It may just cover your expenses, food and accomodation, or in certain situations more, and he can also connect you up with people who you can apply for additional funds from etc.But we are trying to access performers that are already in Asia on an extended holiday or something,nearby or who can get themselves there on their own dime, cause paying for massive flights eats up too much of the budget. We might be able to manage from China to Thailand, or Thailand to India, that sort of thing...)

Also, Big Top is looking for new articles, people to profile, events etc, so you can use it as a way to get your projects and groups noticed!

enjoy

love a

hug ubbrollsmile

"God *was* my co-pilot, but then we crashed, and I had to eat him..."

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Hey Andrea, sorry to have missed you while you were in San Fran.

I will probably be in touch with you and him as I am in Thailand every so often and speak Thai, being ethnically Thai/Chinese. Not around there this year but I generally spend entire summers out there. I spent all of last spring/summer teaching English and traveling though South-East Asia while spinning so I've been trying to return to a semi-normal life here in the states.

I'd be up for an adventure next year though. smile

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
fabulous! I will stay in touch...
Likely back in SF late this month or early next, if I am I will try and meet you live and in person!
smiles
a

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
I have been in touch with Jerry previously
He does indeed seem like a Big Player.
BC - Maybe this is the one we actually get to work together on.
Can you keep me updated on whats happening - as he has been sometimes slow to respond, due to his touring comitments.
Fingers Crossed smile

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

BansheeCatBRONZE Member
veteran
1,247 posts

Posted:
jerry would probably say something to the effect of he is not a big player, but occasional plays with them... lol.

I will keep you posted as I know more. I think he just got back to Bangkok and is waiting to see about various funding proposals. Should be in the next few weeks that it becomes clear exactly what projects go ahead when. Once I know details I will post again...

I am also crossing fingers and toes, some of the ideas being juggled right now are fabulously tempting! If even a couple manifest into concrete form I will be very happy!
smiles
a

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
That sounds awesome!! I'd love to be involved, but just not this break, We're Africanning it up...

Maybe next hols we'll head to Thailand again...