Forums > Events, Performances and Gatherings > Chilled meet on the Gower (due to Play Cancellation) 23rd-27th July

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ok, so sadly the Play Festival has had to be cancelled due to a flooded/muddy site. So that people don't feel like they booked holiday, bus/train/plane tickets or bought tents all in vain, I decided to try and arrange a bit of a chilled meet up down on the south coast of Wales on the Gower. We had a bit of a chat and picked Llangennith as the spot to go to as it has a lovely large beach where the water is relatively safe to swim in and people surf there a lot. There are also quite a lot of campsites around that area so we should be able to get quite a few people spaces at such short notice. We may not all end up in the same campsite, but that's not so bad as we can meet up on the beach.

I have found a campsite that has space and told me as long as you don't need electric hook ups they see no problem with taking a group of us. I said it would be about 12 of us (as I didn't want to freak them out with a number like 30-40)... and his reply was "mid week is no problem, we only get fully booked on weekends, so if you phone up and book for the Wed/Thursday through to the Sunday on you will get a pitch". It's not the campsite on the beach at Llangennith but that site doesn't like people to book in advance and I thought some people that were coming from a long way or with children would prefer to have a booked pitch before they arrived.

The site is Kennexstone Camping and touring Park. PLEASE DO NOT MENTION FIRE SPINNING WHEN BOOKING. We obviously cannot spin fire on the site and it would only put the owners off allowing you to camp if they thought you might. I ask any of you before booking to read the rules of their park and be sure you feel you can stick to them before you book. If you don't think you can, please don't book. One person annoying them and getting thrown out could get the rest of us thrown out too. Thanks

You can of course take your chance of their being space free at Hillend Campsite and just turn up on the day. The site is lovely and right next to the beach that I would recommend we all meet up at. I think Jon and I will probably be trying to camp here, just because it's a stones throw from the beach.

For those not wishing to camp, there is a Youth Hostel too

I'm not sure this place is available for the weekend as no one answered the phone when I rung,but if 14 of you got together you could hire this place

And for the rich biatches amongst us how about here

For those that will be travelling by public transport you can get to Swansea by train/bus and then catch a bus from Swansea to Llangennith. If there are enough people coming by car we could arrange pick ups on route from swansea too.

For general travel info to the Gower

Train travel

Buses

You will all need to make your own camping arrangements as I don't have the funds to pre book sites for people. Sorry. If you are having travelling problems let us know and we will see what we can work out.

EDITED_BY: Skulduggery (1215773012)

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Robsterstranger
15 posts

Posted:
Hey brilliant idea! Llangennith is awesome, Hillend campsite is definately the best place to camp, a great atmosphere on the site and right next to the beach. Like you say it fills up quickly and doesn't take bookings but I reckon if you get there thurs, or even friday morning or you'll be ok.

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Could well be a plan... I try and go to hill end at least twice a year camping and its always been great. The beach is about 4 miles of sand - great for spinning, surfing, kite boarding. We usually hike across the tops to the Wyrms Head Inn and then race the tide to the end of the Wyrm and back.

https://i.pbase.com/v3/97/457497/2/46302853.gowwerfromtop.jpg

- view from the tops, pub on the left, wyrm on the right (the peninsula)

...and the dunes are great for parties as you can blast all the music into the Irish channel and nobody gives a monkeys!

Guys who run the campsite can get a bit arsey though and its expensive for a campsite!

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Cheers Skully! You're a legend!

hug

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
No can do unfortunately - its a lot further away for us, and as we're getting a lift from a mates dad a 5hr each way journey just for him to drop us off then do the same thing again on sunday is a bit unfair.

Also, as we're all in small 1 person tents we'd be paying £17-20 EACH a night at that campsite! That'd be over £60 each!

Looks like I'm gonna be stuck in Yorkshire on my days off frown

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
frown Sorry we couldn't help Will. I hope you find something fun to do with your holiday hug

OrbitSILVER Member
enthusiast
270 posts

Posted:
Anyone looked into the Secret Garden Party? I hear that's a nice festival, and PLAY was the only thing stopping me from going.

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Yeah, SGP is looking like the win, assuming they give me free entry for some spinniness. Can't get onto my hotmail until I get home but I'll contact them and let you know the deal in the SGP thread smile

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Hows about this one! Not any further than the Hilltops site, and very reasonable, looks like the Gwithian site!

https://www.pittoncross.co.uk/

There's some others too, looks good n friendly...

God Save Google!

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Actually, looks full... I'll ring around smile

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

asphyxiastranger
13 posts

Posted:
Thanks for all the info and hard work you've put into this skully.

The Hillend site looks lovely and just noticed this in the terms and conditions; "We do not take advance bookings at Hillend. We can however guarantee that we will take all new arrivals between Sunday to Thursday inclusive." so anyone turning up wed or thurs should get a pitch easily enough.

Not sure if I can afford all this at such short notice though

Amor Vincit Omnia

bodhisattvaSILVER Member
my body is a tattooed temple
366 posts

Posted:
thanks for the hard work guys but it will probably be too much for me . still i could always put it on my credit card will have to think about it umm shrug

when the body is happy the mind smiles

to live a single day and hear a good teaching is better than to live a hundred without hearing such teaching

and everything is measured by the hole it leaves behind

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Chelly

Cheers Skully! You're a legend!

hug

Yeh - top banana! hug2

Hillend looks great and if the weather bucks up then it's a fair bet we'll make a stab for it - most likely on the Thursday.

It was only when I came to book Play tickets that I found out the bad news - I think it was literally just being put up as I (photonix) logged in - so I'm fortunately not out of pocket and can run to a few nights there.

It may stop, but it never ends.

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Unfortunately I don't think we'll be able to make this any more. It's worked out cheaper to hire a car for the weekend and head to Norwich than to get to Wales and camp......sucks! frown

But we is off to meet Spiral at a beer festival - so that should be fun. biggrin

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Cool Chelly! Have a fun time!!

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Will do. Oooh, and I meant to ask - what colour/size hoops have you made up?

Only I've been meaning to buy one from your site for a while now, and never seem to get round to it. Might be able to take one off your hands.... hug

Mr_JoePart-time genius
59 posts

Posted:
Ooooh that is very interesting indeed! My grandparents own a little bungalow in the Gower holiday village so I may even be able to make use of that, which'd be pretty sweet! I shall have to make further enquiries, but I'll definitely be watching this thread! smile

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Hi Skully thanks for all the hard work and effort.hug
This sounds Fun so count me in.
And Photonix if your comming i hope that offer of tea still stands.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
I'm sure tea can be made for whoever wants some. Look forward to seeing everyone that comes along. If we make a list of people probably coming, towards the middle of next week, I'm sure for all the people needing to travel on public transport most of the way we can work out lifts from Swansea to Llangennith once you have arrived.

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Live_in_a_spin

And Photonix if your comming i hope that offer of tea still stands.

This is definitely the preferred alternative. I must be honest though and say I'm gonna have to keep an eye on the weather and call it at the last minute. I'll have Jake (the Dutch kid) back again this year and I don't want to put him through too much Hell ubblol

The long term weather forecast is for more of the same: sunshine and showers, with the odd heavy burst; although Southern England and Wales should get the best of whatever sunshine there is (not that I trust the Met Office much ATM).

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Great Idea guys, but too expensive for me, I'm afraid. frown

I'll see you in another field at another time hug

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Skulduggery Look forward to seeing everyone that comes along. If we make a list of people probably coming, towards the middle of next week, I'm sure for all the people needing to travel on public transport most of the way we can work out lifts from Swansea to Llangennith once you have arrived. [/quote

Well im still keen
The thread's gone a bit quiet are others still up for it?

Live life in a spin!!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
If people want to come and there are enough on a list I'm sure we can sort something out. I just got the impression that everyone had sorted something else to do on this weekend.

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
This option is high on my list, a definate possible for me and a couple of others.

Looking at getting a Megabus to Cardiff, then something like train to swansea, then a bus or a lift if possible. Could get a train to Swansea, but tis more expensive but probably more comfortable and fast.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Yeah, mega bus will definitely be cheaper than a train all the way.

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
I'm still up for it, not least because I've just bought my first set of fire snakes devil

The weather looks like it might be a bit better than first expected - if not much - but it doesn't look like it's going to be a washout smile

I'll be having a chat with Jake over the weekend about the options. He arrives Tuesday morning, so we'll probably be at the Rag Factory that evening.

BTW - I heard on the radio today, that sales of tents and campsite bookings are up 10% on last year. Best not leave it too late if you're travelling Thursday wink

e2a...

Written by :jemima (jem)

Looking at getting a Megabus to Cardiff, then something like train to swansea, then a bus or a lift if possible...

According to Google Maps, there's a railway line out of Swansea, which runs north-west to a place called Gowerton. There are some busses from there to Llangennith, but the last one is at 15:19.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Ok how many people are we talking about coming?

Jem I'm certain we can pick you up. PM me if you still are coming and we'll arrange a time.

Anyone else coming by train/bus PM me and I'll see what I can do about lifts from the stations.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I've got a 3 seater van so am happy to transport kit + 2 people if someone can do people, though I am unable to attend on the Wednesday and Thursday (23rd and 24th) due to work commitments.

smile

Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Im just about to leave for the Beacons for a couple of days and hope to get to Llangennith probably Wednesday.
If i dont get to a computer between now and then i hope to see some of you later in the week.

weavesmiley juggle beerchug grouphug

Live life in a spin!!!

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
8,428 posts

Posted:
Cool. Do you want to PM me your number so we can phone you, to find you?

solar_bearSILVER Member
journeyman
78 posts

Posted:
OK, it's official - WE'LL BE THERE weavesmiley

We're travelling up on Thursday and are intending to stay at Hillend. If all goes to plan, we'll be pitched before midday.

I've only got a two-seater with a small boot, but can help with transfers if anyone gets really stuck smile

Skully - I'll PM you my mobile number...

Page: