Haggardeffectnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I have recently learned my first move which is the 2 Beat Weave, nice and simple to start with (although not without being smacked with poi in certain places).

I am fine with my right hand on top (left crosses over first) but when I try to start by crossing my right over and having my left on top, things go wrong.

My timing seems to go out the windows and my poi begin to swing at the same time (both forward instead of split) and on the same side.

Thanks in advance

-Azza

A broken clock is right twice a day.

dncnewbie
28 posts

Posted:
I never botthered with doing a two beat weave but moved straight onto the 3 beat, which is probably an easier step into the weaves, as it makes you pretty ambidextrous at the start.

The trick to it is too break the weave down into the different hands and than half movements of the weave. start by doing the single hand movements, i,e. left hand does two spins on the right hand and one on the left. than do this with the right hand which is two spins on the left side and one on the right. than Try to put just half a weave into it, which is harder to explain (but is what it sounds like you are already doing). Do this both ways and than try linking, it certainly takes some time too learn, as it is not so simple at the start biggrin,
look at nich wolseys vids on 3 beat and weaves in general (hes a brilliant instructor when it comes too it).

hope you get it soon.

Haggardeffectnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks. I can start the three beat weave but once I try and change side I lose it. Practice makes perfect I guess.

dncnewbie
28 posts

Posted:
yeah just do the 2 or 3 or 4 beats and than pull out of it, i,e, start and when you change bring the arm that is on the wrong side (i.e. left arm which is on the right side) over but keep the arm that is on its own side where it is, do this starting with both directions. It should lead into being able to mix the changes over.

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
Nick Cann has a vid on the 3 beat weave in which he breaks it down to a move at a time: I found it much easier to follow than the one on HoP.

It's here:

Haggardeffectnewbie
3 posts

Posted:
I have got the two and three beat weaves, butterflys still end up hitting me and turns are eluding me. But hey at least I made progress. Keep practicing I suppose.

-Azza

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
If the butterflies are tangling and hitting you in the face/groin try giving the forward poi a very subtle head start.... If you go exactly same-time at first they seem to tangle easily, but if you do a very minor split-timing they seem to be ok. For all intents and purposes it's single time, but you'll be able to feel the difference. At least that's how I've shown people to do it and it's always helped.

Oh, and keep practicing! wink

Bouncing Baby Pipe!