Forums > Help! > Random logging out

Login/Join to Participate

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I'm using library computers, and I've been having a bit of trouble in the last few weeks with randomly being logged out- I sign in, go onto main index- and can't see the 'Introduction' forum, and it says I'm not logged in..

Also sometimes when I try post in the intro forum, I get a 'you are not logged in' message- anyone else been having trouble like this? It can happen several times in a session, and I have to keep on signing in.. I guess it could be an issue with these computers, but I've never had it before, and I've actually never owned a computer (really!) so I've always been on public ones.. confused

Only minorly irritating..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
My guess is it's the computers' cookies settings.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

DomBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,009 posts

Posted:
It could be the cookie settings, but there's another possibility. A lot of public computers use something called a proxy server, which saves bandwidth and increases control/monitoring of what sites are being surfed. A side effect is that they store a version of every page you see, so instead of you seeing the most recent logged in version of the index you're actually seeing a copy of the index you visited when you weren't logged in.

There's nothing we can do about this as some proxy servers ignore all our efforts, but one way round this is to add a random string after the URL. So the main forum index URL is:
[Old link]
try:
[Old link]
Everything after the ? should be completely random. It's annoying, but it should mainly be the index page that has this problem.

Hope that helps!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
*changes cookie settings to 'chocolate chip'*

Oh well, I'm using free computers, I can't complain biggrin

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?